HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring   Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:56 am

I thought it was a pretty good Grand Prix. Even though it was another one-stop Grand Prix for most runners, there was more tyre wear and degradation compared to Montreal. That created some great racing, most notably Ricciardo v Nasr, Maldondo v Verstappen, the Force Indiaís v seemingly everyone. Saying that, I think these Pirelli tyres need to be softer to further spice up the show. It canít be right that a supposedly ďsuper softĒ compound can comfortably last 25 laps, or indeed 30 laps in Montreal. Softer tyres result in larger laptime variations between cars, thus resulting in battling. I donít understand this argument that Pirelliís tyres are producing artificial races. The alternative is rock-hard tyres that have barley any degradation, because modern aerodynamics, brakes and a fairly competitive grid of cars means that passing is difficult if the driver in front doesnít make an error.

One has to question the driving of Raikkonen at the moment. He has been consistently outpaced by Vettel so far this year, struggles to beat cars which are slower in qualifying, and of late has made the strangest of mistakes. He missed Q2 because he seemingly didnít hook up a good enough lap in the changeable conditions. There was the spin in Montreal which was blamed on the torque map, which ordinarily is understandable. With such an abrupt torque delivery at low revs since 2014, it only takes the subtlest of throttle applications to light up the rear tyres. However Vettel in the same car didnít have the same issue - and neither did the other competitors.

Raikkonen went off at Silverstone last year, he went over a bump in the run-off area that got the rear loose, he then tried to catch the slide but instead he got a tank slapper, crashing into the Wellington Straight bridge, then rebounding onto the track. Today in Austria was even more bizarre. The replay just about shows that Alonso has nothing to do with getting Kimi sideways, he was merely an innocent party to the left of the track as Kimi sphered into the direction of where Alonso was positioned. Raikkonen just appears to get sideways all on his own, the onboard replay reveals he gets slight wheelspin on the exit of turn 2. However, it is unclear whether Raikkonen was traction limited further up the straight.

Maurizio Arrivabene is a man known for sacking people as he sees fit. Surely Raikkonen canít stay there for 2016 with mediocre driving like this. There are potentially better candidates at the moment. Valteri Bottas is one option, but Hulkenberg should be considered as well. He arguably out-drove the Force India today and if that continues, Hulkenberg would be a great addition to Ferrari - it would be a great opportunity for Nico to prove himself in a top team with a potentially winning car. Force India traditionally announce their drivers very late, so if Ferrari wanted to wait until the end of the year whether to replace Raikkonen or not, Hulkenberg could presumably wait until then as well. Neither Bottas and Hulkenberg have been beaten so consistently by their respective teammates as Raikkonen has since the later rejoined Ferrari.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring   Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 am

It was ok a few overtaking maneuvers better than last time out anyway, that penalty for Mclaren was a little pointless I thought as the grid isn't even that big

The crash was just a pure accident as I don't think Kimi had full grip available at that time and pushed too hard too soon

Anyway it was all a bit meh and see what Silverstone brings
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring   Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am

I watched the end, did seem like much to me. Sorry. I desperately want f1 to be good. But Rosberg saying think like the computer guys set the clutch up better just makes me cringe.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring   Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:27 am

That has been a symptom of modern motorsport for a number of years. The starts to a large degree are automated, but in another sense the driver still has to give information as to how satisfied he is with the initial getaway during practice starts and the formation lap start. That still lies in the driver's hands. One of the proposals for 2017 is for manual starts to return e.g. no pre-set clutch positions for an optimum getaway from the lights. Launch control might have officially gone away, but what didn't go away was the software that gently minimises wheelspin and the pre-set modes.

F1 is not the only culprit of having technology that takes away driver control. I'm baffled as to why GT cars that have barley 500 bhp "need" traction control, and LMP1 cars need to ditch traction control as well. GT3/GTE cars are not exactly outrageously powerful as to need TC. Similarly, the hybrid systems in P1 are incredibly sophisticated, but can the spectator appreciate the technology and how does it enhance the spectacle? That's a question that a lot of championships need to consider in the near future.

Road relevance has gotten too far IMO in some series.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring   Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Lmp1 racing is as much about the cars as about the drivers, the fancy tech dosent diminish things. It's never going to crash bang touring cars.

As for gt3, gte and p2 etc, a lot of them are driver by non professionals and therefore not having to would be a potential disaster.

F1 has to have a higher standard, firstly because it's the best known Motorsport and needs to sell all Motorsport on its own. Motor racing lives and dies on f1 being good. Secondly the drivers are suppose to be the best in the world, of course some arnt I'm looking at you Maldonado and others but they have to be held to s higher standard.

F1 could learn a lot for formula e. Low downforce, skiddy tyres, better camera angles and the stately being done by the drivers and not a nerd with a laptop. A fuel tank size limit would be nice, maybe 2 sevenths of race distance. So 3 stops unless the driver can get it down to 2 pitstops.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring   

Back to top Go down

F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1