Share | 

Le Mans 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Le Mans 2015   Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 am

I really enjoyed watching Le Mans this year. Principally because the fastest outright car won, strange unreliability didn't affect the Porsche's. Plus, for me personally, seeing the first petrol car win the race outright since 2005 was a fabulous sight.

Three-wide in GTE Pro was just an epic shot, racing doesn't get better than that!

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2015   Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:41 am

Awesome racing this year, goes down as a Classic Porsche winning is brilliant I'm just hoping this ends the Audi to F1 rumour as they'll want that title back
Nissan did very well, yes well off but to get one car home nearly two is a massive achievement

P2 class wasn't the best for me Signatech Alpine off and Greaves motorsport car forgetting what a battery looks like

GTE-PRO was brilliant so pleased the #64 Corvette won do feel for the AF Course #51 though

GTE-AM again brilliant and nice to see Dempsey/Proton getting a podium finish just a shame the Aston Martin ended it in the wall with less than an hour to go

Bring on next year can't wait
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2015   Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:51 am

It will be interesting to see how VAG reacts to Porsche’s win, are they happy for the internal rivalry to continue or they want Audi’s resources focused elsewhere? Personally I think Porsche in WEC and Audi or VW in F1 would make sense. The latter two are mass market marque’s chasing car sales in emerging markets, which F1 is suitable for – whereas Porsche due to it’s brand positioning will always be a more niche, lower-volume maker – WEC has a committed audience and the history of Porsche in sports car racing is a strong factor.

I was pleased to see the No 64 Corvette won GTE Pro, it sounds utterly fabulous and the C7 is a fine looking car.
I was also impressed with Townsend Bell in the AM Ferrari 458, for a first timer at Le Mans there were times when he looked like a veteran out there – him and Segal were running some of the fastest laptimes in that category.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2015   Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 am

The inter company rivalry is a tricky one but I think as it is it works well can't see the need for either to move on to another series I mean someone actively made the decision to allow Porsche to race against Audi 2 years ago so can't see it really changing
Would like to see Peugeot return though or Renault come into it however that won't happen due to Nissan being involved and it having the same company director

At the moment WEC is in good health and growing I just hope the ACO don't get too giddy and ruin things
Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2015   Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:44 pm

LE MANS & WEC and can see now that more (drivers) are going to want to race,
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2015   Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:05 am

One of the most positive announcements over the weekend was the power hike for LMP2 and GTE. For the former, that level of power increase almost makes up for the fact that there will be spec engine. 450 bhp just wasn’t acceptable, heck, you can get 450 bhp from an Audi A4 or Merc C-Class. Upper spec international racing cars need serious power. 600 bhp is more like it. With that level of power, P1 cars might need a power boost as well. One would think it would be easier enough with the electrification of the P1 powertrain’s.

Personally I would like the P1 cars to shed downforce and for the top speeds to increase. This is for three reasons. Firstly, it would allow for P1 cars to sufficiently clear LMP2 cars, secondly, more power and less downforce will make the cars more tail happy, thirdly, less downforce will negate the need for ever bigger run-off areas. As cornering speeds rise, so do the run-off areas. I personally think that the Porsche curves in particular have been sanitised. On the exit to the right side there used to be a wall if the driver got it wrong – now there’s a large run-off area. Le Mans needs an authenticity and a sense of danger. I’d rather see a driver fighting a twitching car rather than seeing a car almost flat-out through that section.

GTE cars have needed a power boost for ages. If GTE is to survive and thrive, the category needs more powerful cars to sufficiently differentiate them to GT3 cars. Obviously, already GTE cars are faster than GT3 cars due to their extra width, additional downforce and better brakes – but it is hard to argue a car is superior when it hasn’t got any more power. This won’t happen, but I think GTE cars need another 50 to 80 bhp.

I do wonder if GTE cars are becoming faster partly because full-spec GT3 cars are joining TUSCC next year. GT3 cars have less drag than GTE cars, so at places like Daytona it would often be difficult to tell which the faster car is. Even currently, GTD cars can stay in the draft of GTE cars despite being 50 bhp down, due to the lesser drag of GTD cars.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2015   

Back to top Go down

Le Mans 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1