Share | 

F1 test, Silverstone - 17 - 19 July

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: F1 test, Silverstone - 17 - 19 July   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am

Just a heads up for anybody interested, there will be a Formula 1 test at Silverstone between 17 - 19 July. Originally this was supposed to be a young drivers test, but race drivers will now be allowed to participate.

Tickets cost £15 per day, which is not bad considering cars will be running between 9 am to 5 pm. I think it is great value for a day's running.

For me, there is added incentive to go: one of the last opportunities to hear these glorious naturally aspirated, high-revving V8's before the V6 engines are introduced.

I shall be going on the 18th.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 test, Silverstone - 17 - 19 July   Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:33 am

So I decided to go along to Silverstone for the Formula 1 test last Thursday.

It can be easy to forget how incredible Formula 1 cars are.

The noise is simply sensational. Whilst I will await judgment on the turbo V6’s until 2014, the howl and scream of the current V8’s is so unique and special.

TV doesn’t at all convey the audible intensity of F1 engines – it must be heard to be believed.

It is also easy to forget the sheer cornering speeds that F1 cars are capable of. Seeing the Red Bull being able to take Copse totally flat in sixth gear is a sight to see. No other type of car is capable of such cornering abilities.

All F1 cars sound the same….right?

Nope.

What really became apparent, is how every team is optimising different exhaust systems. The Williams sounded the most outrageous of the lot, with a very harsh exhaust note. The McLaren sounded the most “natural”; with a crisp full throttle sound and no funny noises on the downshifts.

It sounds like the teams have reverted back to exhaust blowing again, despite it being banned. Almost every car made popping and rather nasty noises when off-throttle.

Watching the Marussia made it apparent what the problem is. The car has terrible mechanical grip. On pretty much lap around Luffield that I saw, the car was sliding amount and the car simply wouldn’t “hook up” into the turn like other cars could.

It was also apparent how some cars could pick up the throttle in the middle of Luffield, whereas other drivers in the slower cars had to wait until the exit of the corner to get on the throttle.

Put it simply, it was easy to see why the fastest cars are fast. TV often doesn’t convey the actual reasons behind the speed differences between cars – being there in person gives one a much greater perspective of this.

Last week only reinforced my appreciation of F1 cars. I truly respect the commitment that drivers had around Copse and Abbey, it was stunning to watch.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk

F1 test, Silverstone - 17 - 19 July
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1