HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier   Sat May 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Confirmed:

Quote :
Honda will return to Formula 1 in 2015 as engine supplier to McLaren - as revealed by BBC Sport in March.

The Japanese company, which quit the sport in 2009 after years of poor results with its own team, is reigniting one of the most successful partnerships in F1 history.

The move to feature turbo engines and extensive energy recovery technology from 2014 is behind Honda's re-think.

Honda said regulation changes were "central" to its participation.

Honda boss Takanobu Ito explained: "Honda has a long history of advancing our technologies and nurturing our people by participating in the world's most prestigious automobile racing series.

"The new F1 regulations with their significant environmental focus will inspire even greater development of our own advanced technologies."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22551204

This is very encouraging for Formula 1. I know Honda were disappointing as a constructor and engine supplier with BAR and then Brackley, but having the world's largest engine builder is favourable for any motorsport series. If the V6 switch and drivetrain change is to be justified, the sport needs global motor company's to return.

From McLaren's point of view, they simply need an exclusive engine supplier who will build the drivetrain package according to McLaren's exact specifications. Mercedes-Benz almost certainly won't be designing their V6, energy recovery system etc around McLaren's chassis and aero - Mercedes will be looking after number 1.

Personally, I hope that a return to F1 entices Honda to build more exciting road cars. Honda has gone a bit too beige, with no S2000 replacement, NSX replacement (let's see the reality, first) or even a Type R Civic (yet). C'mon Honda - you've got the world's biggest motorsport platform - do something with it....

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier   Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 pm

It's been confirmed since Monday or Tuesday. It's on the Facebook page since then.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier   Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm well aware of that, cerca. But I thought it would be good to discuss it here as well. I've been very busy at work, so haven't been able to post as quickly as I like. Cool

But I really appreciate the Facebook postings you've been making - it doesn't go unnoticed.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier   Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 am

I know. In trying to get everyone over there as well. Spead the word. It wasn't a critism but an advertisement. Sorry if it sounded like one.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier   Sun May 19, 2013 4:49 am

No problem, I didnít take offence Ė just really appreciate all the Facebook activity. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier   

Back to top Go down

Honda to partner McLaren as engine supplier
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1