HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016   Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 am

Quote :
The DTM is set to adopt two-litre turbo engines for the 2016 season as it seeks to become a global formula.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2013/05/03/dtm-set-to-use-smaller-engines-by-2016/

Whilst I can understand the need for engine rules to be relevant for car manufacturers, it would be a big shame to loose the V8's for four-cylinder unit's.

If there is something that DTM completely nails, it's the glorious sound of the engines. It provides an added incentive for spectators to attend, as you don't hear those noises anywhere else.

As a compromise, DTM should introduce V6/straight six engines. This would allow for aural pleasure, but still allow for downsizing. VAG, BMW and Mercedes-Benz will still heavily use six-cylinder unit's in 2016, so there would still be relevance for production sales.

In general, race organisers and promoters need to realise that people don't attend motorsport event's to merely see the closest production-linked cars. They go to be wowed and see/hear something they don't see on the street.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016   Sun May 05, 2013 10:50 am

Dtm trying to be f1 and touring cars and failing at both. Time to put the v8's in wtcc and for dtm to go away.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016   Sun May 05, 2013 9:56 pm

interesting. i am not sure its the way to go.

DTM like F1 shouldn't really be focus on Road going crap. it should be an out and out racing. lots of power and going all out.

DTM just need sorting out. a simple look at by the organiser because has a good series and could be so much better.

I agree with sound of the car needs to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016   Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 am

I believe that DTM has a future, but mainly because WTCC fails to truly excite. DTM has better car makers, fan-bases and more engaging sounding cars than WTCC. There is certainly room for a premier touring car series in Europe.

Humdrum-sounding four cylinder engines are the precise reason why WTCC struggles to be recognised as a premier, world championship.

If more production-relevant engines are needed, then there should be compromise. Six cylinder engines could still sound lovely, whilst staying relevant to ‘premium’ manufacturers. With the efficiency gains being made, six cylinder engines will still play a big part in road car offerings in 2016.

I agree that road cars shouldn’t solely dictate future regulations. I’ve always been skeptical about ‘road relevance’, because where does it end; why not just dump a load of passenger cars with stickers on the track? That would be real road relevance.

On a wider and more important note, motor racing needs to excite and be something that punters cannot see or hear anywhere else.

I don’t see VAG, BMW or Mercedes-Benz disagreeing to building six cylinder engines. Considering DTM’s global ambitions, six cylinder engines would be more compatible with all global markets. I really don’t see American audiences being wowed by four cylinder engines.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016   

Back to top Go down

DTM to adopt four cylinder engines by 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1