Share | 

Superstars 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Superstars 2013   Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Round 1 of the Superstars touring car series is about to start, round 1 on Motors TV today from Monza.

This is a bit like our own V8 Supercars - big, gurgling V8's with production bodies. The range of brand's is something else; Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Jaguar, Lexus, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz.

This sort of car should be basis of DTM cars, imo.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:30 pm

re dtm - me too!! I watched race 1, it was a bit snoozy out front, but some good battles a bit further down. Shame we're missing the Maserati's this year and reigning champion Kristofferson's Porsche Panamera died in quali.
Looking forward to the race at Donington in September, was a great day last year, not too busy and teams are friendly.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 am

Superstars has great cars which you don’t see anywhere else. It is a shame that the Panamera seemed so problematic.

It is odd that an E92 and E90 BMW M3’s race together. I felt sorry for Morbidelli in the Audi, it handled brilliantly put seemed to be seriously down on power. The Jaguar XFR was the opposite – super down the straights but tricky in the turns. The difference in cars was great to see.

I shall make it a priority to attend the Donington Park round – thankfully it doesn’t conflict with much this year

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 pm

The Audi's were the cars to have in most rounds last year, Morbedelli and Kristofferson showed how much of an advantage it had. Not sure how much the rules have pegged it back for this year. Monza is always Mercedes territory with plenty of grunt, for some reasons the Jaguar's lack that extra something, maybe it's just development and money put into the project.
Giovanardi drove a Porsche in 2010 and won 4 races i think, but this is a new team, so with no testing and probably not a lot of money early problems are expected.
Race 2 did have more action, but i was surprised how much the cars are allowed to fan out on the rolling starts in both races.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 am

In fairness to the organisers, 4WD will always hold a key advantage against the other powerful RWD cars. Pegging the RS5 back is only fair. The RS5’s advantage was plain to see in the two Lesmo corners, Morbidelli would haul in the Jaguar’s at an amazing rate – and make overtakes.

At tighter tracks which have more traction-limited turns, the RS5 will probably be more competitive. Saying that, the Mercedes C63 AMG seems to be excellent – it has great straight line speed, braking and handling.

The Jaguar’s issue was very obvious; it was amazing down the straights but was poor under braking and lost out in corners. Yes, I think that package needs to be developed.

I would be interested to know how the power levels between the cars are decided.

The rolling starts were strange, indeed. Cars were jockeying for positions before the green flag was given, the pole was a bad starting spot – it was possible to be swamped by drivers who jumped on the gas earlier.

I like the NASCAR rule, which prohibits lane swapping before the start/finish line – and there is a specific acceleration zone where the pole sitter is allowed to nail it. It stops drivers behind breezing past the pole sitter, and equally prevents the pole sitter from playing games.

The new V8 Supercar rule is good too, which prohibits weaving and sudden acceleration/deceleration on restarts.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Superstars in Algarve today got me thinking about the Donnington Park round in September. £20 for a ticket is amazing value to see these gurgling V8 beasts. Mind you, tickets need to be that cheap in order to create awareness of a still an unknown series.

I still love the variety of the series. No other series has a Chevrolet Camaro dueling against a Jaguar XF.

The organisers also seem to balance the cars out well, too. The Audi RS5 has four wheel drive, but also has less power than the rear drive cars - so it creates some rather interesting racing.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Tickets booked for Donnington Park. Can't wait - it will be great to see Colin Turkington driving a BMW M3 in both races.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Superstars 2013   

Back to top Go down

Superstars 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1