Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:19 am

Using the old champcar course I see.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 pm

It is essentially the old CART track, yes. I have no idea why the organisers didn’t use this course in the first place, the racing was drastically better over the weekend than the shorter course could ever offer.

One must say, AJ Allmendinger is testing the good loyalty in Roger Penske. Two races in Detroit, and Allmendinger crashed on lap 1 in both incidents. In his defense, the closing speeds and edgy-nature of the DW12 is so different to the relative laziness of a stock car, AJ needs to commit seriously to IndyCar.

Once both races weren’t under yellow, the racing was tremendously entertaining. The dive-bombs into the “new” turn 3 were fun to watch. Some drivers block way too much, even when a driver was going down the inside, they blocked…it’s crazy with exposed wheels.
Mike Conway might not like ovals, but if a small team wants success on a road/street course….

It was so great to see Simon Pagenaud winning – he has come close to winning before and he drove a very controlled, error-free race.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 pm

After the carnage-filled Detroit races, IndyCar rolls into the super-fast Texas Motor Speedway with 228 laps of racing this evening. With average lap speeds of 218 mph, this place isn’t for the faint-hearted.

With drastically less downforce and skinny wings, the drivers will be fighting loose cars as the tyres wear out. Suddenly, 1.5 mile races are great to watch with significant throttle modulation in the turns. The days of flat-out oval racing are over.

The Firestone 550 should commence after 12 am, UK time.

For coverage details, please refer to "IndyCar streaming information": http://racing.forumotion.co.uk/t3744-indycar-streaming-information

I love this stretch of IndyCar races: Texas, Milwaukee, Iowa and Pocono (yay!!!).

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 am

Must remember its on at 9 tonight, or at least its meant to be. Andretti is on pole, Chevy seems to be the one round here which isn't a surprise.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:02 am

I’ve always liked the Milwaukee Mile. Then again, I particularly like short, flat ovals.

The Andretti cars seem to be setting the pace, let’s see what the race brings. 

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 am

Anybody watch the IndyCar race at Pocono?

Cor blimey, IndyCar sure put on a great show; 225 mph entering the turns, frantic drafting and plenty of throttle modulation in the turns. Pocono is such a unique and special circuit.

Sato really needs a good hiding for bumping Hunter-Reay in the pitlane, turning RHR into the wall. Brain-fade moment.

At last, Ganassi was once again dominant like they were with the old car.

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

I just caught up with the race on youtube, it wasn't in English though. I love tri-ovalsi with open wheelers, reminds me of the old Rio race they used to go to. It probably a little late for Ganassi to mount a title challenge but its good to see them at the front again. Sato and Kannan both had a bit of brain fade, can't say I'm surprised anymore.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Pocono was superb – there was more passing than an average NASCAR race at Pocono. Big superspeedway circuits is where IndyCar beats NASCAR hands down. The draft works brilliantly.

IndyCar rolls onto Toronto this weekend for 2 street course races on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. For the first time ever, IndyCar will have a standing start in Saturday’s race – that will be tremendous to see.

Double-file restarts on such a tight street circuit - it will be exciting if messy!

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Yesterday’s first race in Toronto was bizarre.

Race Director, Beaux Barfield was absent for personal reasons….

….so guess who returned?

You guessed it – the legend that is Brian Barnhart!

Yes, him – the director that called the green flag when the New Hampshire oval was wet.

Yesterday again proved that Barnhart and shitty officiating go hand-in-hand.

The much-talked about standing start got turned into a rolling start because one car stalled. What a genius – Barnhart abandons a standing start just because one car stalls.

That isn’t so bad, but Barnhart is now planning to have a standing start in today’s race…which was supposed to be a rolling start. Talk about making up the rules as you go along.

Has Will Power lost his road course prowess? He tried to dive up the inside of Dixon and Franchitti in turn 3, and failed to make either overtake stick. With Franchitti, Power tried to claim that he blocked.

Er, no he did not – Power drove way too ambitiously into the turn and was never going to make the turn. Franchitti was clearly protecting the inside, but Power was trying to make a gap which didn’t exist.  

Franchitti was initially peanlised for blocking…but the officials eventually gave him back the position - more shoddy officiating.

Will Power is never happy with anything – go Dario!

Dixon drove a brilliant race to win. It would have been nice to see Bourdais win, but Dixon drove a beautifully controlled race, made the right overtakes and was the fastest driver yesterday.

Despite all the poor officiating, IndyCar once again put on a great show yesterday – more excitement coming up today!

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:15 am

I really enjoyed seeing a grid standing start for the Indys, I appreciate good running starts but we get those often enough with the saftey cars. Despite the stall yesterday I thought the drivers managed very well, it must be alien to most of the drivers to start like that.

Dixon had another perfect race today, I thought he was probably out of the championship after a couple of mechanicals and other on-track incidents but now things have completely turned around. Its a shame Hinchcliffes recent run has taken out of the top runners for the championship, I know some of issues are of his own making but they are often bought on from having a slice of misfortune to begin with.

I don't noramlly look forward to Mid-Ohio but this season always seem to deliver one way or another.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Agreed.

The standing start was fantastic, and it ran surprisingly smoothly considering it was the first time that IndyCar had tried it.

Brian brain-fade Barnhart was silly in aborting Saturday’s scheduled standing start. How many times do GP2 cars stall on the grid? Charlie Whiting doesn’t suddenly revert to a rolling start because some cars don’t move.

Dixon was flawless yesterday, and he aced those two restarts. Dixon has been driving brilliantly of late. He was dominant at Pocono, then went to Toronto and dominated those races too. It takes a lot to win at two completely different circuits.

Dixon has emerged as the favourite to challenge Helio for the title. Hunter-Reay sadly has made too many mistakes, and Hinchcliffe has had rotten luck.

I also agree about Mid-Ohio. It’s usually a snooze-fest, but Long Beach, Barber and other circuits have also traditionally been a tad dull – but this year those events were brilliant. Wherever IndyCar has gone, it’s been thrilling.

I don't say this lightly, but IndyCar has been my favourite motorsport series this year. I love the variety of 235 mph tracks, short ovals, twisting road courses and tight street courses - the racing on every track has been outstanding.

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 am

Nice to see Kimball win, the strategy worked out perfectly and thats a big pat of winning at Mid-Ohio. There were some good overtakes, such as Dixons move on Hinchcliffe which was Grosjeanesque and the lack of yellow highlighted the standard of driving. Sonoma next up, I'll be surprised if they get through the first corner without a yellow there.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:19 am

Indeed, Kimball drove a tremendous motor race. After Pagenaud passed Kimball after the third and final round of pitstops, I thought it was over. Kimball had fewer “push to passes” than Pagenaud and Mid-Ohio being the circuit it is, even with extra power it’s difficult to overtake.

The pass on Pagenaud was superb – Pagenaud admitted himself that he expected Kimball to out-brake himself and slide wide.

Lengthening the race was a great idea. Traditionally, it had always been a two-stop race but only with a lot of fuel-saving. They made the race 5 laps longer to ensure there was no incentive to save fuel, but to race flat-out.

I liked the race – it flowed well and there were good battles throughout the field.

Sonoma is always a dull race, unfortunately. The layout is gorgeous with the blind crests and undulations, but it doesn’t work for open wheel cars. Too many turns flow into each other with few big braking zones. IndyCar have revised the configuration several times to try and create more braking zones, but the general facility isn’t suited to single seaters.

Sonoma suits stock cars and touring cars – cars with bumpers and fenders to use…

IndyCar should have increased the Sonoma distance to discourage fuel-saving – this track is ripe for fuel-mileage racing.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 am

So then, IndyCar at Sonoma. It’s gained a reputation for being a typically incident free, calm drive in Wine Country….

…but all hell erupted today. 7 Safety Car periods, multiple crashes, some wild restarts into turn 1 and dodgy pitstops.

Sonoma is usually a snooze-fest for IndyCar, but there was plenty of overtaking along the drag strip and into the hairpin. The excitement of Sonoma shows how more interesting IndyCar has become – the series is exciting at any race track.

Only Beaux Barfield and his poor officiating spoilt the day. Beaux was hired to improve the credibility and consistency of IndyCar penalties, yet today’s penalty for Scott Dixon was something that Brian Barnhart would have done – and that isn’t a compliment.

Basically, Dixon got peanlised for hitting Will Power’s pit crew. But, the Penske crew members were walking so casually about and leaning into Dixon’s pit exit. I’m all for safety of pit crews, but they also have a responsibility to look after themselves.

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Beaux. I thought he was a great ALMS director – but some his IndyCar officiating has been very questionable.

That crappy penalty prevented Dixon for being right on Castroneves' tail for the championship. Helio drove very well today with no errors, and he missed a few scary accidents. However, I feel the officials fixed this battle for the championship.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:15 pm

I haven't seem the incident but have heard about it.

1) you get a penalty for hitting anything in the pitlane.
2) this hasn't happened before
3) don't be surprised if roger Penske told his pit crew to do what they did
4) it shouldn't be a penalty
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:03 pm

The penalty culture in motor racing is generally frustrating. As every situation is different, there needs to be discretion shown.

Beaux Barfield’s explanation on NBC was also frustrating. He said that the Penske guy who held the wheel had nowhere to go. This isn’t true. The guy walked so casually around Power’s car; about a person’s width away from the car.

Barfield badly screwed Dixon at Milwaukee last year, now he did it again yesterday.

IndyCar has been the most exciting motorsport series so far this year - don't spoil it, officials.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:52 pm

As long as the penalties are consistent that fine it's when there not it becomes a problem.

This particular issue seems to split people 50/50 from what I've read.

http://www.racintoday.com/archives/28090
Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:41 am

The race was messy, the track is bumpy and slippy which caught out a lot of drivers. Some still managed good moves, I think Dario managed a great move of Power at one point and Dixons on Wilson was also nice.

The pitlane incident is hard to get my head around, its like a Jackass scene the way he walks into the car thats driving past. I don't know exactly what the rules are, you seem to be allowed to drive through other peoples pit boxes so long as the path is clear. In this case the path was clear but had the potential the become unclear. You see Will drive straight through the box in front of his immediately after as any driver would do, if that crew had thrown a wheel gun out into their pit space for Power to hit would that be Wills fault for driving into the space thats theres to do what they want or not? The way the rule has been applied here, it would be Wills fault and that seems wrong to me.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:35 am

Yes the track was strangely dirty, even as the race progressed. A test session, practice, qualifying and other support series running on the circuit seemingly didn’t clean up the track by Sunday afternoon.

There were cars still kicking up dirt on the drag strip – the scene of a lot of the contact.

The penalty for Dixon illustrates the flaw of penalties in general. There must be penalties for obscene actions, but increasingly, penalties are dished out for incidents which are relatively minor.

Before there weren’t many penalties and motor racing rolled on just fine. If a driver gets annoyed at another driver, that mad driver should create a show and deal with it themselves, not rely on an official to dish out a drive-through penalty.

Penalties are a never-ending spiral. There is never any consistency or credibility, and let’s face it – who is actually satisfied by the penalty system?

There can never be a consistent system because every incident is different…which renders penalties pointless. Scrap these penalties for minor incidents like spins, and allow the drivers to deal with incidents themselves.

Dixon can still win this championship. It’ll only take one slip by Helio and Dixon will have a strong shot. However, Barfield will deny this – but IndyCar unnecessarily interfered in the championship battle at Sonoma.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am

I like the NASCAR system. If a driver has a problem with another, they don't hide behind some officials and hope they sort it out. They either crash into them as payback or go and hit them - this is exciting for the fans.

IndyCar has a few rivalries brewing.

Will Power and Dario Franchitti hate each other - Rahal and Andretti have never liked each other.

IndyCar needs to encourage these rivalries to gain national attention.

Drive-through penalties for spinning someone or hitting someone in the pits just isn't the American-way.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Before there weren’t many penalties and motor racing rolled on just fine. If a driver gets annoyed at another driver, that mad driver should create a show and deal with it themselves, not rely on an official to dish out a drive-through penalty.

That's not true drivers had more respect because retaliating got the other guy killed.

People are on the fence on this one. I think the Penske was at fault and should have penalised but there's a lot out there that see it the other way.

I hate the NASCAR system. Someone will die because of it, but that's fair enough because have at it. Grand am has been improved massively by getting rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 am

Well done to Simon Pagenaud, good win. Too many crashes again, more has to be done to keep these dirvers in line. Giving Power a driver through when he is 8 laps down isn't a penalty, its a joke, like Penske are a joke.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:21 am

Indeed, Simon Pagenaud drove a superb race. He kept out of trouble and was one of the fastest cars on the track. It wasn’t like he lucked into the win like Will Power at Sonoma. I’m glad Marco Andretti didn’t win the race - that would have made a further mockery of a messy race.

The action was electric on the track. Those final 10 laps were superb nose-to-tail racing; it was impressive to see so much passing on a street track, and open wheel cars being able to follow each other closely.

Whilst the restarts were messy – nobody can deny that they were very exciting.

In some ways, it was an action replay of Sonoma. The on-track action was mega, but the officiating was yet again very poor. Is Brian Barfield or Beaux Barfield the Race Director at the moment? I can’t tell the difference.

Beaux is making the same bone-head, laughable decisions that Brian made. Most drivers got penalties for spinning others around, except Graham Rahal when he tapped Dixon into a spin. Where was the consistency?

Quote :
Giving Power a driver through when he is 8 laps down isn't a penalty, its a joke, like Penske are a joke.
I agree. A drive-through penalty for shoddy driving like that was no penalty. If Will Power thought Dario was behind him, perhaps Power might have deliberately chopped Dario off. Power and Dario hate each other.

However, I don’t think Power intended to crash into Dixon. His initial reaction showed this. However, it was a careless piece of driving. It’s all very easy for me to say that, but surely one must look when they jink out to see if a car isn’t already alongside?

From a driving stand-point, Dixon has done everything perfectly in this second half of the season. Race control and Beaux has given Dixon unjust penalties and has effectively interfered with the championship battle.

Is Castroneves lucky or what? He also had a miserable race, albeit less miserable then Dixon’s race. It would have been great if Dixon could have closed the points gap and given us a real thriller for Houston and Fontana.

Houston is an unknown for the IndyCar field, at least. The Champ Car drivers know the course well, but with two races and another standing start - who knows what could happen....

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am

Dixons having a rant here, not surprising but I expect he'll be given some kind of punishment. He points out that Power ran over his tyres hose without penalty, something I noticed, I wasn't sure about that rules but its clear having looked it up.
7.10.1. The following matters and any others which may be determined by the Race Director are cause for a Car to be penalized
7.10.1.3. Car passing over or under any air line or hose or any other equipment

Thats probably the biggest cheat of the lot.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109641
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:38 am

I think Dixon’s comments hold a lot of weight. Mainly because Dixon is one of the calmest drivers out there, he is usually Mr cool even when something goes against him. Dixon isn’t one to mouth-off at the drop of a hat.
Dixon must have been annoyed at Beaux from Milwaukee last year. Dixon was handed a drive-through penalty which was even discovered by race control to be a mistake.

It was baffling why Rahal wasn’t penalised for turning Dixon around in turn 1. However, plenty of other drivers were penalised – it was a mess. That contact is what put Dixon back behind Will Power.

I’m personally not a fan of penalties, I prefer the drivers to “race it out” and sort out disagreements between themselves. Beaux was a big advocate of penalties when he came from ALMS, but IndyCar should be more of a show – more rivalry between drivers.

As an example, the Paul Tracy and Sebastian Bourdais show was great to watch in Champ Car. Fans knew those two put on fireworks if they raced close to each other.

Beaux Barfield needs to ditch his namby, pampy, health & safety penalties – or stop applying penalties like it’s the national lottery. The latter is hard to achieve, because every racing incident is different – therefore consistency is unlikely.

Beaux has introduced good procedures to IndyCar; keeping the pits open under caution, local yellow flags, allowing defending of position are good examples of improvement.

However, Sonoma and Baltimore have made Beaux look like Brian Barnhart – and that is no compliment.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IndyCar 2013 race thread   

Back to top Go down

IndyCar 2013 race thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next