BTCC 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

I noticed that, Plato took ages to overtake Shedden and Neal, when he had plenty of chances to tap both drivers.
“Driving standards” haven’t and shouldn’t be part of BTCC, the bump and run is what makes the BTCC so exciting.

BTCC hasn't built up its reputation by drivers being scared to make contact. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 am

Was a good day. Good to see Nick and Cal on pitlane walk telling speedworks what to do!
Hopefully they'll fight a bit more later in the season. They definitely fire louder then they did a few years ago!
Hopefully be at Snetterton, work pending. Glad to see a big grid. Clios were the best all in all.
Back to top Go down
DTM Deano
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am

Been very impressed with Andy Jordan so far this season, he is really starting to mature as a driver, and if he carries on in this current vein then he will be a live Championship contender at the start of the season.

Good to see the BMW winning a race as well, feel there will be a few more surprise winners throughout the rest of the season given how competitive the field is.

What are people's thoughts on the soft tyre? Seems to only be a good thing from my view, it adds a nice piece of strategy to such a fast-paced series.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/deano190
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 am

The soft tyre isn't really needed but it's not so bad.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 am

I don’t mind the soft tyre compound. It does add a strategic element to BTCC, but personally, I haven’t found myself ever yearning for strategy or tactics from BTCC. To its credit, the soft tyre didn’t harm the racing at Donington – tougher ‘driving standards’ is the culprit of tamer racing.

To my mind, the only strategy in BTCC should involve using the bumpers and fenders to overtake! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Sun May 05, 2013 9:58 am

The Honda's looked very quick in qualifying, hopefully Triple Eight and others can hassle them. It is interesting to see how strongly Andrew Jordan now performs.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm

some good racing yet again with very little in the way of contact. Not sure why Shedden is complaining so much about Plato in R1, was a racing incident, maybe when he watches it back later he'll calm down.
Unlucky for Andy Jordan in R1, but he fought back well. Surprise of the weekend was Onslow-Cole though, the Passat was working well, Rockstar must be ruing the decision not to continue as sponsor after Donington, with loads of coverage of the car. It appears Team HARD are making progress, although TOC has proved a great developmet driver before in previous years (in the Golf, and then sorting the 2011 Focus).
Sadly neither Frank Warthall or Rob Austin had good weekends.
Oulton Park is now 5 weeks away, not sure why there's such a big break after the first 3 rounds.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm

It was very entertaining to see sideways front wheel drive cars through the fast sweepers –that alone made all three races exciting.
Dynamics drivers always like to moan when anybody touches them. Shedden shouldn’t have squeezed over on Plato’s line if he didn’t want to get spun. Plato had nowhere to go – Shedden was driving into a gap which didn’t exist.

It was indeed great to see Team HARD doing well. Onslow-Cole also drove very well, that long wheelbase must have aided stability in the high speed corners.

Dunlop really needs to bring more durable tyres to Thruxton. It was crap to see Jordan and Plato loose wins in that fashion
In the future, BTCC needs to avoid these long breaks. It disrupts the flow of a championship, especially considering BTCC is a ten-weekend championship anyway.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 am

I appreciate ITV want to avoid clashes with Tour De France, but even so, the championship didn't need to start in March when as we saw at Brands it snowed in quali! Finishing mid October also is a lottery as Brands finale last year was pretty wet. I remember 2008 when the last round was mid September and lovely weather.
DTM has only just started and they only have 10 rounds i believe, so it can be done.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 am

Great race 1 at Oulton Park. It was nice to see the BMW’s progressively getting better as the laps wound down, I hope it heats up so the 125i’s are even faster.

With more chassis development, this car could be properly brilliant.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:04 am

The Safety Car, yellow flag rules need clearing up. Rather than waiting on marshals to wave yellow flags, BTCC needs the “digi”, electronic flags that Formula 1 use. This way, there can be no confusion or unfairness over some yellow flags being waved and some not. Once race control decides to deploy the Safety Car, the field should be instantly neutralised.

This “racing to yellow flag” malarkey is a tad vague and open to exploitation, as Shedden passed Turkington.

Yet again in Oulton Park, Mat Jackson felt the need to force another car off-track at the hairpin, but expected the car on the outside to disappear. Last year, he got a taste of his own medicine when Collard tried to get back on track. This year, poor Tordoff was also merely trying to get back on track.

Jackson deserved to limp home – twat.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Race 3 was more like bull-riding than motor racing - epic stuff is a tad messy! That kind of action is why I love BTCC.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 pm

race 3 was thoroughly entertaining and probably the most panel bashing of the year. Felt sorry for Rob Austin who put up stern defence to keep the lead for a number of laps until Jeff Smith decided to keep the boot in at Lodge and give him several taps to get by. Great job by Will Bratt to finish 6th (and he's using the old engine whereas Rob has moved to the TOCA one) Colin Turkington looks like he and WSR are getting to grips with the BMW, although Collard and Foster are still struggling.
The weather was fantastic, camping is much more enjoyable the KX Q&A on Saturday night was really good and went on for 90 mins, a lot longer than i expected.
Experienced the glamourous side of motorsport as got roped in to pushing Andy Neate's NGTC Cruze from it's position in the display area back to the paddock. The car looks great with it's Marshall sponsorship and should be out at Croft.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am

It was fantastic to see Colin Turkington winning two races and almost winning the final race. Turkington is such a great driver, and just what WSR need to consistently fight at the front.

All 3 races illustrated the superiority of BMW. The 125i M Sport really was the Ultimate Driving Machine last Sunday. If you want great performance like that, buy a production BMW. Cool

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Well after the hot sun of Oulton, rain made it's return at Croft. FP2 was wet and Adam Morgan made a mess of the barriers at Clervaux with a hefty impact, he was fine, but the session curtailed. Andy Jordan made a mess of his qualy lap there going in too hot, sadly the itv cameras didn't pick it up.
Race day was busy, ended up at the exit of the chicane all day. CT dominated race 1 (and 2) but further back Jake Hill made an impressive debut in the Jack Sears Trophy with a win (and i guess because he was there itv covered it for the first time) JST runners had a great nose to tail battle in R2 with David Nye coming out on top. I still can't believe 888 let both JP and Sam gamble on rain tyres when things were so uncertain, and why when they were dropping like stones after lap 3 they didn't bring at least one of them in and put slicks on. It may have enabled one of them to start slightly further up the grid in R3
R3 was very wet and Colin Turkington nearly did the treble. Pleased for Dave Newsham to finally get a good result this year.
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 am

After a 6 week break the series returns to the Snetterton 300 track. The teams had the opportunity to test there a few weeks ago and the MG's came out on top, so expect them to be pacesetters.
AmD have bought the S2000 Civic as campaigned by Neal and Shedden in 2011 for James Kaye to try and get back in the hunt for the Jack Sears Trophy, i assume the Golf is still about, but AmD only have one entry, unless they can 'do a deal' with one of the others who arent running so far.
Robb Holland returns to the series in the Insignia vacated by James Cole for Snetterton, no word on whether this is a one off or rest of season. Warren Scott is supposed to be running in the other Team HARD Passat entered, assuming it gets built.
Andy Neate's NGTC Cruze should also finally make its' first race weekend having finally got some testing in at Snetterton and Mallory Park.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:56 pm

I always thought that a Cruze built to NGTC rules would be a potent package. A bit like the MG; saloon-aerodynamics, a long wheel base and a wide front/rear track should be a fast combination.

I like the new Snetterton 300 layout. It adds a technical element that the short track lacks.

It will probably be a better layout for WSR, too, because that tight infield is about traction and the BMW obviously gets better and better as the race progresses.

Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 am

Dirty dirty Sheddon
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 am

Indeed. I feared Shedden would boot Turkington out of the way. Turkington was already turned into the corner before Shedden turned him around.

I have found Shedden becoming increasingly two-faced of late. He protests and bitches when someone hits him, and tries to claim some moral superiority - but happily dumps someone and thinks there is nothing wrong.

For payback, Turkington should put Shedden in a ditch at the next race. Those front bumpers can come in handy…

It was so touching to hear the Dynamics duo bitch about the turbo boost. Shedden seemed to follow Turkington just fine, and the superior handling and braking performance of the Civic compared to the Airwave cars meant that the extra straight line speed wasn’t much of an advantage.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:22 am

if you're at the track 2 mins is too long to wait for cars to come round at Snett, it looks good on tv though. Nice to see the Motorbase cars a bit more competitive, but the original ngtc (Dynojet, RAR, Speedworks) teams have fallen away now the teams with more budget have built their own cars.
I think Shedden has acquired Champion Ego this year, and appears to have allowed it to get in the way of his driving.
The fact that Matt Neal is beating him will not please him either, or the fact that Andrew Jordan is as well!
I'd like to see CT get to Brands for a realistic chance of the title.
Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 am

Those Honda drivers are terrible Matt moaning about boost and blaming Dave for bashing him off which he didn't then you get Gordon coming up behind Colin and blatantly knocking him out of the way the says he was clearly down the inside think he needed to see it again with his eyes open, so I've gone off Honda but have to say was a quality off by Plato again haha
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:48 am

The Dynamics drivers have no right to complain about turbo boost.

Firstly, both Dynamics cars were fine in a straight line at Snetterton. Any loss small loss in top end was minuscule compared to the superior braking and handling of the Honda's. Once either driver managed to bash their way past, they left everyone behind - except for the MG.

It seems to me that Dynamics don't like competition. Fortunately for them, Dynamics don't have any real competition except for MG.

TOCA should stand firm on daddy Neal and Matt Neal and their bitching and squealing.

IMO, TOCA should limit the boost of Dynamics cars to zero - see how that feels! Twisted Evil Razz 

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Great display from Colin Turkington yesterday at Knockhill, shame he got chucked out of r3 for overboost infringement as it means he's still 30 points off the lead. MG had a very anononymous weekend, but Rob Austin's Audi set pole and was competitive for the first time in a while, great for him to have 2 podiums.
Dan Welch was unlucky yet again, was going well in R1 before a wire came off his alternator, but he came through to 11th from the back in r2 and finished 7th in r3, his best finish of the year.
Frank Wrathall was also pretty anonymous after qulifying 8th, seems like maybe Dynojet need a better engineer as Adam Morgan's team using Frank's old car and engineer Paul Ridgeway have done really well this season.
Now were into season 3 and most of the field have NGTC the better funded teams have got to the front, Dynamics, 888, WSR and Motorbase are generally making it more difficult for the more privateer teams to shine.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 pm

I think it is encouraging to see WSR and Motorbase seriously challenging the front of the field. The latter is still not quite there, but it looks like a decent base package.

It is a crying shame that Turkington was thrown out of race 3. Still, there are three rounds to go and at three very different race tracks. I feel that the 125i and Turkington may still be a championship contender. If Colin can win like that at the next 3 circuits, who knows...

I'm glad that the RWD BMW is mixing things up. RWD can be a great advantage, but it can also be a disadvantage. I hope the officials don't peanlise the 125i too much.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 am

it's the turn of Rockingham this weekend, it's a great circuit to attend from the point of view of a spectator, you can see virtually all the track from the turn 1 grandstand, not so good for photographers though as you're so far away.
Tom Onslow Cole has left Team HARD and moved to the 3rd Motorbase Focus. Not sure why he and Tony Gilham have parted, but it does leave the HARD team without any decent drivers as Paul O'Neill has turned the Insignia drive down citing work commitments with ITV, so expect to see the Passats and Insignias battling with the s2000 cars at the back.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BTCC 2013   

Back to top Go down

BTCC 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next