Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:34 am

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 am

What Carlos Tavares describes sounds more like an internal issue, rather than a problem with Formula 1 itself as a marketing platform. When he talks about Renault’ global marketing team – this is certainly an internal problem within the company.

The Infiniti branding surely confuses things even further. Its one thing to switch brands within a company, but using two car brands for the same team is confusing to less switched-on viewers.

Renault did brand some Cilo’s and Megane’s after F1 models, but the special editions were purely for branding. Unlike the Cilo Williams – which had genuine advantages over the lesser versions.

Hopefully the V6’ do attract more engine suppliers, perhaps two more. Hopefully the smaller capacity and electrical gubbins provide more relevant marketing, and even technical platforms for manufacturers.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 am

This is the problem, the brand isn't seen as F1 world champions just a normal average French car brand a little better than Citroen, but in reality they are good cars very good the new Clio looks fantastic and even with the little 900cc engine has some go in it, the electricals are much better, the thing is people that enjoy track days and in the know buy a Renault because its a great handling car might not be quickest in a line drag race but its good in corners all they need to do (I know it sounds easy) is to just combine the 2 a fantastic range of cars that make people think about buying one and just make some specials linking back to F1
The thing is cos i'm a bit lot of a Renault geek i'm bound to say they make great cars but even if your not just have a go in a Clio and I tell you, you will be surprised, just brand up a Red Bull edition and make an RS Scenic and I think Renault could be onto a winner
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:45 am

they are not selling cars though & F1 is pretty irrelevant for the Renault cars, Mercedes have there AMG brand & Ferrari of course is Ferrari.

Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 am

But RenaultSport is to Renault as AMG is to Mercedes, anyway they are going to be the same cars soon anyway Laughing

Yeah this is why the new Clio has to sell to get the brand going again because between 2002-2008 Renault apart from the Clio 3 were making horrificily bad cars the Megane 2 for example so no body bought a 3 fearing it was going to be as bad (which I can testify it isn't its far better) But Renault also need to shift boat loads of Dacias too if its going to keep going, which I think it will

Oh one selling point for the Clio 4 RS should be hey the Clio RS has the same size engine as a Red Bull Renault F1 car but sadly not V6
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am

If Renault wants the Formula 1 recognition it desires, it must sort out the confusing Renault and Infiniti branding. I personally think the Infiniti branding is very clever – great way of promoting a relatively unknown brand in key car markets, whereas Renault is well established.

However, promoting both brands is a bit silly. When BMW were in F1, I never saw ‘MINI’ branding on the cars….

Calden is correct that Renault Sport is like AMG, the M Division or the RS division. Renault Sport is already widely praised for making great cars, but the real key will be when Alpine is revived. It might be then possible to closely promote a road-car product with F1 involvement, as they will make a mid-engined sports car.

Renault’s F1 technology already goes into road cars. In Autocar a while back, they stated that the cylinder deactivation and fuel-saving modes in the Scenic are partially developed from Renault’s F1 engine knowledge. However, why doesn’t Renault brag about technical achievements like this?

The new Cilo does appear to be a great car, and establishing lost sales over the old Cilo will be important. More importantly in terms of profitability, will be cross-over type cars like the Nissan cash cow – with higher purchase prices. Somehow, Renault needs to introduce more expensive models, but not so expensive that customers will just buy a VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes.

Mainstream cars are no longer 'cheap'. There used to be a noticeable price difference between a Renault and a VW, Audi or BMW. Now, all of these brands are similarly priced in the hatchback segments. Average joe are mostly always going to opt for the more 'premium' brand. Just look at the 'premium' brands that occupy the top ten best selling cars every month - BMW, Audi and Merc all feature. This isn't Renault's fault - building cars is very expensive. But, key unique selling points need to be established if mainstream brands aren't to die.

There is no doubt that Renault has been heavily affected by the recession-hit countries in southern Europe, however, Renault also had fairly dull products. The old Cilo, Twingo, Laguna and even the current Megane are just boring and gormless – whereas every successful French car sells on style and a bit of wackiness.

Renault is strategically better placed than PSA, with Nissan and Infiniti. Infiniti will only grow, and will be very profitable with the Daimler tie-up and BMW-like purchase prices. PSA has very weak brands, and I worry about them. The Renault Group has a good mix of brands, and brands which have resilience and respect.

The current Megane is just a boring, bland box on wheels; nothing special or unique about it. Although I’m sure reliability scares have put people off, people will buy the cheaper Korean brands for humdrum transport. IMO, Renault knew they made a mistake with this Megane – and the replacement will be more eye-catching.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

Citroen's presence in WRC baffled me for a long time. They could have done something special with the Xsara, but they never bothered. There was no WRC-linked C4 either. At last, Citroen has woken up and launched the DS3 Racing.

Motorsport can raise the profile of a brand, as long as the participation is consistent, well marketed and racing spin-offs are sold. IMO, Ford's ST and RS brands have no doubt gained popularity due to sustained motorsport participation. Subaru almost entirely gained a profile through rallying - but decided to throw it all away.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renault not getting enough out of f1   

Back to top Go down

Renault not getting enough out of f1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1