Share | 

Renault Le Mans Return

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Renault Le Mans Return   Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 am

Last edited by Jeremy Aardvark on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 am

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 am

interesting. the Rules change for 2014 seem to be bring in, interest. which is good
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:42 am

That sounds very encouraging, I hope Renault enter what matters – LMP1. I suspect that a move into WEC would probably be due to Nissan, and not Renault itself. Renault is still struggling with production car sales, but Nissan has stayed a very strong brand.

This is a move that I actually understand, unlike Citroen’s presence in WRC and Peugeot's LMP1 presence. Peugeot still need more exciting cars. An LMP1 programme should be decent marketing platforms for Renault Sport and the soon-to-be-revived Alpine brand.

The cross-over between Formula 1 and LMP1 engine regulations is exciting, if this goes ahead, it proves that investment can be shared, rather than manufacturers limiting themselves to either one series.

Mind you, I suspect the RPM’s for the LMP1 engines will be turned down – 15,000 rpm won’t be much good in endurance racing.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:57 pm

I can't see how a detuned f1 engine can compete in lmp1. Plus the it will run a restrictor in p1 that it doesn't in f1 but I hope they go ahead with it even if that means competing with the all electronic Nissan p1's.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
I can't see how a detuned f1 engine can compete in lmp1. Plus the it will run a restrictor in p1 that it doesn't in f1 but I hope they go ahead with it even if that means competing with the all electronic Nissan p1's.
A detuned F1 engine won Lemans 1975 1980.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 pm

1980 was the rondeau
1975 was the mirage iirc

Were both of those ford dfv's?
It can be done and could happen but I don't think it will.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 pm

i was bit mifed when they first annouced the new engine for LMP1

but it seems to be bring new interest which can always be good...how it will all work... scratch Arrow
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
1980 was the rondeau
1975 was the mirage iirc

Mirage Ford Cosworth DFV. Rondeau Ford Cosworth DFV/Mader
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:42 am

Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
1980 was the rondeau
1975 was the mirage iirc

Mirage Ford Cosworth DFV. Rondeau Ford Cosworth DFV/Mader

My memory's not as bad as I thought, or its full of Motorsport stuff.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:45 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

I suspect the V6 power and electric power would be dialed back a little, but the most interesting modification would be the RPM's. I don't see such high revs working well in endurance races.

Like Paul says, I would like to see further details of how this will work in practice...

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

I suspect the V6 power and electric power would be dialed back a little, but the most interesting modification would be the RPM's. I don't see such high revs working well in endurance races.

Like Paul says, I would like to see further details of how this will work in practice...

They would have to cut the rev's back to make it last long enough. Plus with a restrictor and limited boosted where is the power coming from? P1's are restricted to 600bho but the Peugeot's were 750 plus depending on who you listened too
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

I seriously doubt that today’s P1 car has 750 bhp, the Peugeot may have (I find that a tad optimistic) – but none of today's have that level of power – 650 bhp tops. LMP1 cars don’t reach 200 mph on the Mulsanne straight anymore. Last year’s Sunday Times on La Sarthe race day included a guide to the lap, and the Audi was quoted as doing 197 mph. Hardly slow – but LMP1 cars are underpowered.

When GP2 cars have this level of power, LMP1 cars surely ought to be more powerful – and not have traction control.

F1 engines now produce over 800 bhp, according to F1 Racing Magazine’s figures of last year’s Ferrari engine. Quite a difference.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 pm

In the eightys BMW 1.5 turbo in the bra ham was running 1400 horse power and winning in f1.

Ever car racing today is under powered and over aeroed. P1 needs more power
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:47 am

Those were the days, but I’m not sure we’ll see that level of power again.

You are right, almost every racing day has too much downforce, but P1 cars have a triple whammy: Too little power (600 bhp odd at most), traction control that kills most oversteer and too much aero grip.

Plus, P1 cars are not “sportscars” – they’re glorified open wheel cars with bodywork and lights.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:20 pm

This is a very interesting one, first off it would be great to have Renault in the Le Mans as they are French so it's good on that front and if they enter in LMP1 its another manufacturer going up against Audi (if they could win is a different matter), secondly Renault would probably build the chassis too so be a proper Renault unless they name it Dacia.

Oh and SIR this about Renault not selling cars, think you'll have to rethink that as we're shifting loads of Clio 4's and I mean running into double figures every day, our dealer is full of them all PDIed and plated ready to roll same with the Dacias dusters parked up too even 4x4 ones so right now Renault seems to be turning a corner in new car sales (which they really needed)
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 am

I never said that Renault isn’t selling cars, but they are struggling in many of their major Southern European markets, which Renault has been heavily reliant on. It shouldn’t be forgotten that Renault radically altered their UK line-up, with a lot of models being ditched.

It is encouraging to hear that the Cilo 4 is selling well, but if you know what I mean, it should be selling well. If a mass market Renault supermini wasn’t selling well, there would be a major problem. It looks like a very competitive and appealing car.

The Cilo still represents a problem for Renault, though; it isn’t a very profitable car due to its low purchase price – practically no mainstream maker is generating profit from selling supermini’s in Europe.

IMO, the next Megane will be a pivotal model for Renault. Like Nissan, Renault needs its ‘Qashqai’ moment where it creates something very desirable, profitable and unique. Renault invented the MPV, and gained traction from that. Renault need to innovate again.

Dacia will be great for Renault’s sales numbers, but it suffers from a similar problem as the Cilo – high volume with little profit.

It isn’t all doom and gloom. Renault is far better placed than Peugeot/Citroen, because Renault has Nissan which is very strong globally. PSA has no alliances, and they really are in trouble. If Renault was on its own, they’d be like PSA. Thankfully, Renault made a very smart move when they bought Nissan.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:17 am

Well Peugeot and Citroen make shit cars which doesn't help, I do know what you mean though the Clio always sells well so it should do, and Renault are making a Juke type thing in the Captur so we'll see what that's like

Oh and I've seen the Renault le mans prototype car it's under the Alpine name and is open roof looks well though in blue and orange but looks to be LMP2 class just hope it's successful, and technical spec so far suggests a Nissan V8 powering it maybe next year Renault will put in their own engine suppose we'll have to wait and see, so far it's just great to see the Alpine name making a comeback
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 am

French Fancy wrote:
Well Peugeot and Citroen make shit cars which doesn't help, I do know what you mean though the Clio always sells well so it should do, and Renault are making a Juke type thing in the Captur so we'll see what that's like

That looks encouraging, it’s good to see Renault experimenting with some different ideas. Nissan’s gambles have paid off, and so have Renault’s in the past.

The Megane itself should become a 'crossover' in Europe, Nissan ditched the equally dreary Almera and hasn't looked back since.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renault Le Mans Return   

Back to top Go down

Renault Le Mans Return
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1