Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: formula 1 viewing down    Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 am

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 am

i would of thought the UK figures would of gone down more than that !

there are many problems with F1 i think, part of the reason is the poor tracks the cars now race around, all of the new tracks are boring, there is only three teams in it with a chance now, Ferrari, Red Bull & McLaren, i also think that people are getting bored of Vettel now like they did when M Schumacher was winning everything, the only difference is that Schumacher won most of the races & that in it'self was something worth watching.

the racing is too artificial now, the DRS zones & the flappy rear wing etc, better to just have the cars fat with fuel & tires that last a whole race.

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

It is difficult to judge whether Formula 1’s viewership has “hit the skids”, without a total figure to compare to previous years. However, the declines for the individual countries are not positive.

At least in the UK, Sky has not been proven to be successful in terms of viewership. At best, 200,000 odd viewers watched a Grand Prix on Sky – but the lowest figures are well below 200,000 for some live races.

I appreciate that extra money is made due to increased TV right sales, which also benefits the teams, but one has to wonder whether declining viewing figures will continue. In traditional European markets where F1 is most watched, these markets are rapidly going to pay-to-view, but viewership in emerging markets is not making up the shortfall.

F1 is in a slightly strange position of moving away from a European-dominated calendar, but has night-time races in Asia to satisfy European audiences. However, will F1’s viewership in Europe be maintained for night races to operate as envisaged?

I have reservations about broadcasters such as Sky. Although Sky is a hugely profitable business due to their subscription fees, they have fairly low viewing figures for even core sports like football. F1 is a popular sport, but it has a constant battle to be viewed by a broad audience. By tucking away half of F1’s live races on a network with low viewing figures, F1 risks losing a broader audience.

I find it sad, but F1 might become irrelevant with subscription-only TV packages. Where the BBC might get 5 million viewers for one of its live Grand’ Prix, Sky gets 200,000 for the same event – I can’t see how this is positive for anybody, in the longer-term.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

European races are key to f1. There losing that and it'll cost the sport.

There needs to be Motorsport on terrestrial TV. Any Motorsport.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 am

It's probably not that surprising that viewer numbers through pay-to-view have not been as big as expected. The last time F1 tried to go down that route, it ended up making more losses than it could profit (if any was made at all). To suddenly expect viewers to go on subscription to watch a sport that has been free to view for quite some time, is like being asked to pay for all digital channels as well as the BBC network. Some will just not do it. Not everyone can devote 20 or so weekends of the year to watching a sport that, at the best of times, can be a fickle business to understand and appreciate. If Sky was the only option for seeing F1 at all, then perhaps for some it would be a different story, but because the BBC is still an option (albeit at 'half capacity'), unless you wanted to see the whole season live, why would you pay to watch?

It's probably why other forms of motorsport are not pay-to-view. What they get from sponsor and investor deals could more than likely keep them safe financially for a season's worth of racing. Any potential profit made from pay-to-view may be welcomed as an extra bonus, but the risk of losing viewers globally due to narrowing the audience spectrum would far outweigh any potential gains.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 am

CJ wrote:
It's probably not that surprising that viewer numbers through pay-to-view have not been as big as expected. The last time F1 tried to go down that route, it ended up making more losses than it could profit (if any was made at all). To suddenly expect viewers to go on subscription to watch a sport that has been free to view for quite some time, is like being asked to pay for all digital channels as well as the BBC network. Some will just not do it. Not everyone can devote 20 or so weekends of the year to watching a sport that, at the best of times, can be a fickle business to understand and appreciate. If Sky was the only option for seeing F1 at all, then perhaps for some it would be a different story, but because the BBC is still an option (albeit at 'half capacity'), unless you wanted to see the whole season live, why would you pay to watch?

It's probably why other forms of motorsport are not pay-to-view. What they get from sponsor and investor deals could more than likely keep them safe financially for a season's worth of racing. Any potential profit made from pay-to-view may be welcomed as an extra bonus, but the risk of losing viewers globally due to narrowing the audience spectrum would far outweigh any potential gains.

That.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I don’t think that F1 will lose the core European rounds Arguably, Spain could be ditched – but Britain, Germany, Monaco, Spa and Italy will probably always exist. I wouldn’t be sad to loose Hungary or Barcelona.

Motorsport doesn’t necessarily have to be on terrestrial channels, but preferably on freeview channels or channels which don’t cost extra on a Sky package. When championships go on channels like ESPN, they hide themselves away.

DTM has been on ESPN for a couple of seasons, but has suffered for it. Few are going to pay £13 a month to watch one series, especially when most races aren’t shown live.

It takes the biscuit when you buy an expensive subscription package, then you’re required to pay more for individual channels – because ESPN UK is so shite – I refuse.

Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 pm

There are certain sports that should be open to all to watch, The major ones ....... F1, Wimbledon, Football World cup, FA cup final sport that that etc !
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

F1 dose t belong on that list
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 am

In my opinion, motorsport is generally becoming harder to watch. Even if you are a diehard fan, the number of channels and package’s you need to watch motor racing could test the most dedicated of fans.

£13 a month for a channel that only shows IndyCar as motorsport is fairly insulting – especially when most races won’t be live.

Rather than growing awareness about motorsport and increasing accessibility to more casual viewers, subscription TV is keeping motorsport hidden away in a lot of circumstances. Subscription TV is great for the networks; it is very profitable - but bad for motorsport and viewers.

F1 in theory should be motorsport’s biggest draw in the UK, it is…on the BBC. But, when Sky can barely manage a quarter of a million viewers at a peak – it shows that many people simply aren’t prepared to pay many hundreds extra a year.

Even if Sky was the exclusive broadcaster for F1, I still don’t think that subscriptions or viewings would significantly increase. The issue for many fans is cost, not access. As we live in an increasingly digital world, savvy fans will find dodgy internet streams to watch the Grand’ Prix on.

Subscription TV is too hampered by restrictive channel packages (to ensure you pay the most), so there is little choice to pick channels you want. This hardly entices customers. For many minority motorsports’, the future might lie with live internet streaming, with small fees. TV will always be important, but if some TV channels have small audiences in the first place – the supposed awareness that TV brings might not even be apparent.

Don’t get me wrong, TV viewing is my first priority. However, I worry at how expensive this currently is, and will probably increase in the future.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:21 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
In my opinion, motorsport is generally becoming harder to watch. Even if you are a diehard fan, the number of channels and package’s you need to watch motor racing could test the most dedicated of fans.

£13 a month for a channel that only shows IndyCar as motorsport is fairly insulting – especially when most races won’t be live.

Rather than growing awareness about motorsport and increasing accessibility to more casual viewers, subscription TV is keeping motorsport hidden away in a lot of circumstances. Subscription TV is great for the networks; it is very profitable - but bad for motorsport and viewers.

F1 in theory should be motorsport’s biggest draw in the UK, it is…on the BBC. But, when Sky can barely manage a quarter of a million viewers at a peak – it shows that many people simply aren’t prepared to pay many hundreds extra a year.

Even if Sky was the exclusive broadcaster for F1, I still don’t think that subscriptions or viewings would significantly increase. The issue for many fans is cost, not access. As we live in an increasingly digital world, savvy fans will find dodgy internet streams to watch the Grand’ Prix on.

Subscription TV is too hampered by restrictive channel packages (to ensure you pay the most), so there is little choice to pick channels you want. This hardly entices customers. For many minority motorsports’, the future might lie with live internet streaming, with small fees. TV will always be important, but if some TV channels have small audiences in the first place – the supposed awareness that TV brings might not even be apparent.

Don’t get me wrong, TV viewing is my first priority. However, I worry at how expensive this currently is, and will probably increase in the future.

Here here
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:23 am

Actually its worse a lot of people got sky HD to get the f1 channel free. Sky have decided to charge an extra fee for the f1 channel this year. Not good
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 am

Really? That is awful. It was bad enough to make customers pay for a HD pack just to view one channel, but now they want more money for a sole channel that some people originally wanted?

You couldn’t make it up.

Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 am

That's always been a black mark against Sky in my books: subscribing to a 4 channel package just to get access to 1 channel. Now they're asking extra for that channel on top of the package cost. Evil or Very Mad

Surely it would make more sense to just make the F1 channel separate from the Sky Sports package. Not only would it cost less for viewers to get what they want, but it would also draw more customers in as a result (not much I'd reckon, but more than what they're getting now surely).

Good thing they're not the sole broadcaster. If they get their hands on MotoGP next year..... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 am

Be careful, you might end up speaking too much logic for Sky.

You are of course right, though. This is what I alluded to; fans have no real choice to purchase what they want. One has to purchase something they don’t want, in order to get something they want – baffling.

I’m not saying that Sky would have millions more F1 viewers, but I reckon take-up would increase if viewers could purchase the sole channel.

Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 am

They probably did consider it, but why settle for the small things when you can get more out of people than necessary? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 am

Even for major football games, Sky is simply a low-viewing network. It is profitable, but they really don’t care about a mass audience, because of their high subscription fees make up for larger audiences, and therefore advertising revenue.

Sky is showing live testing next week, but only two hours or so per day. Oh, because you know that the F1 channel is just inundated with content - they obviously couldn't show all of testing. Razz Wink

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 am

You can subscribe to sky sports f1 I believe. But last year it was free with the HD package.

And its free if you have sky sports.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 pm

I don't like how Sky treat's its customers, too. Last year, the box packed up. We must have given Sky thousands of pounds over the years, yet they charged us £60 for a new box.

IMO, the subscription fee should cover maintenance and new equipment, because you already pay hundreds a year to them. A bit like an extended warranty with a white good, you are effectively paying one never-ending warranty.

I also didn't like the way that Sky ditched IndyCar, it hardly encourages motorsport fans to sign up, does it? They've reduced the appeal for racing fans. IndyCar had pathetic viewing figures because Sky is barley watched, yes IndyCar is a minority sport, but Sky also has low viewing ratings itself.

Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 am

Sky F1 HD still free with HD pack.

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/extra-channels/formula-one/

Dunno where the misinformation came from... there is no extra charge.

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 am

Okay, fair play. That was an error, but why can't customers just buy the F1 channel? There isn't real choice.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Sky don't like giving you much choice, they'd much rather you buy lots of channels you don't want to get one that you do. I don't have Sky Sports F1 as i can't justify the extra amount every month, especially when i'm only around at weekends anyway. Still doesnt look like they fill the week between races with too much either, should be showing races from Bernie's archive all the way back to 1982 or whenever he got control, not repeating legends programmes every day.
Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 pm

True, but Sky's model isn't to sell individual channels.

And how much would the F1 Channel cost?

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 am

Well perhaps they should adjust their model to cater for what customers want?

Sky know they are getting pathetic viewing figures, so the alternative is to just sit back and be content with rubbish viewing ratings.

Nick, I understand that Sky will be showing more old Grand' Prix in the upcoming weeks and months: http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/sky-sports-f1-to-broadcast-full-classic-races-throughout-2013/

You are right, though, Sky has been showing a lot of complete garbage on their F1 channel. It renders the purpose of a dedicated F1 channel pointless.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:43 am

Well, it appears that from 1st April, new subscribers will have to buy the Sky Sports pack to view Sky F1. Whilst existing subscribers won't be affected, when Sky's viewing figures are already low, this hardly entices potential customers to sign up:

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/sky-confirm-sky-sports-f1-pack-changes-from-april-1st/

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: formula 1 viewing down    

Back to top Go down

formula 1 viewing down
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next