Share | 

Radical F1 proposal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Radical F1 proposal   Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm up at 6.30am, brain all in top gear and I am confident I have found the solution to the problem of F1 "being boring" *without* having all these costly and very intricate devices like the DRS.

Ban fuelling of cars to 100% race distance.

I don't know why nobody has thought of it before.... work out the expected level of fuel usage on a circuit and put a limit of (say) 95% of that figure on the amount of fuel onboard at the start of the race.

"You're mad," you'll all cry, "how the hell can they get to the end if they only have fuel for 95% of the distance?!!?"

But we all know that during safety car periods each car uses less fuel, because it's going slower.

By only giving them 95% of the fuel required each car would be required to "go slower" at some stage during the race, and the drivers would be forced to bring fuel management into their equations.

YES, this is *definitely* the way to go... having to save fuel alongside these wonderful degrading tyres...

Add to the excitement.

Thoughts?

Sean

ps. and I still think the "driver lottery" thing would be good too... each driver picks a ball out of the hat to establish which team he/she will drive for that weekend. Therefore the "driver" vs. "constructor" championship also becomes much more interesting. Can Alonso win races in a Marussia?! And when Paul Di Resta picks the Red Bull does he cruise to victory, or qualify 18th?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 pm

F1 cars are already under-fuelled for the 190 mile race distance. Teams try and get away with putting as little fuel in the tanks as possible. The Renault engine has cylinder deactivation, so it can run on four cylinders during the formation lap – that saves vital fuel. Also, F1 engines are not normally run in their leanest, most powerful setting – this also allows fuel saving. A lot of these conservative settings are more about engine protection than fuel saving, but it also achieves the latter – by using fewer revs and different fuel mixtures.

Teams like wet races too, it allows for cars to be under-fuelled even more.

A lot of F1 races don’t feature Safety Car periods, but it is true that SC periods save a lot of fuel. In my independent opinion, there simply needs to be more random Safety Car periods. This would significantly spice up the show and it would allow for teams to use less fuel. We really need to think about the environment and fuel usage, and running under Safety Car certainly allows for the planet to be protected.

During SC periods, we could have the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Estate Edition 507 Medical Car to check for potentially lethal debris on the circuit – the extra emissions would be off-set from F1 cars not running at full speed.

Perhaps the Medical Car could be painted pink? This could spice up the show. We also need a remote-controlled Mr Blobby out on the circuit, this would also increase the entertainment.

F1 was superb in 2012 – but I agree that further tweaks are needed.

Quote :
ps. and I still think the "driver lottery" thing would be good too... each driver picks a ball out of the hat to establish which team he/she will drive for that weekend. Therefore the "driver" vs. "constructor" championship also becomes much more interesting. Can Alonso win races in a Marussia?! And when Paul Di Resta picks the Red Bull does he cruise to victory, or qualify 18th?

This is a great idea, Mr Blobby could randomly pick out the drivers!

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm

This could be a legendary combination during Safety Car periods - Medical Car and Mr Blobby:

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Pot stops are the problem. In a race an hour and twenty minutes long there just not needed. The while point of the degrading tyres was to make drivers show there skill instead they pit.

Pitstops hurt shorter races.

Emergency pitstops would be allowed if:

Deating tyre
Out if fuel
And similar but have to be approved before any work is done.
Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
Pot stops are the problem. In a race an hour and twenty minutes long there just not needed. The while point of the degrading tyres was to make drivers show there skill instead they pit.

I hadn't thought of that... pot stops, eh?!?! But wouldn't stoned drivers be a health & safety issue? ;-)

Quote :

Deating tyre
Out if fuel

Seriously, though, I disagree... I think pitstops add to the strategy and uncertainty... that is why Pirelli were tasked with producing tyres which deteriorated when fuel stops were outlawed... there's got to be some uncertainty or the fastest car would just disappear off into the distance and never be seen again (not that this doesn't happen often anyway, but it'd happen more)

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

Deating tyre
Out if fuel
Years ago there were no pits stops, and the racing was a very lot closer. you didn't know who would win until the last lap.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 pm

seanmiller wrote:
Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

I hadn't thought of that... pot stops, eh?!?! But wouldn't stoned drivers be a health & safety issue? ;-)

Quote :

Deating tyre
Out if fuel

Seriously, though, I disagree... I think pitstops add to the strategy and uncertainty... that is why Pirelli were tasked with producing tyres which deteriorated when fuel stops were outlawed... there's got to be some uncertainty or the fastest car would just disappear off into the distance and never be seen again (not that this doesn't happen often anyway, but it'd happen more)

Sean

The uncertainty of the degrading tyres is lost if they just get changed every few laps. By forcing drivers to stay out of the pits it puts more emphasis on over taking on track. Rather than waiting.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:42 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
seanmiller wrote:
Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

Quote :

Deating tyre
Out if fuel

Sean

The uncertainty of the degrading tyres is lost if they just get changed every few laps. By forcing drivers to stay out of the pits it puts more emphasis on over taking on track. Rather than waiting.
It puts the emphasis on the driver and not the car .. which is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radical F1 proposal   

Back to top Go down

Radical F1 proposal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1