PostSubject: Brackley has no place for Brawn?   Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:18 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21143847

Lewis, Mercedes not such a good idea?
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Brackley has no place for Brawn?   Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:19 am

I'm not so sure, Toto Wollff has indicated that he wants to retain Brawn. However, one has to question what significant results Brawn has achieved in the last three seasons. Mainly; Mercedes had developments which simply didn't work or tyres which wore out too quickly. Since the double-diffuser coop in 2009, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that Brackley simply fell off the radar in terms of car-development and cottoning onto the most effective innovations.

Paddy Lowe would be a tremendous appointment, if that happens. Lowe has been responsible for much of McLaren’s recent success. When they initially realised how crap MP4-26 was in early testing, he oversaw dramatic changes to the car and it was suddenly a podium-contender in Melbourne. Mercedes kind of face a similar situation; lots of catching up to do – Lowe can help them make that progress.

Whereas Lowe has successfully masterminded many of McLaren's cars under very different aerodynamic and design regulations; Brawn perhaps got left behind and never caught up with the revised aero regulations from 2009.

It has also been rumoured that the three-pointed stars' on the nosecone and steering wheel could be worth five tenths of a second. Wink Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Brackley has no place for Brawn?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 am

i think with Mercedes it just hasnt been working for them and need change up, i wouldn't get rid of Brawn his to talented but maybe swap around or bring in new people will help them.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Brackley has no place for Brawn?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 am

I agree, Brawn isn't the problem. Even at Ferrari, Ross Brawn was never the man who came up with the design ideas - that was Rory Byrne's role. Brawn's role was to collaborate all the technical teams - the results spoke for themselves.

In my opinion, Mercedes fundamentally went the wrong way on car development and emphasis last year. They wasted too much time with a drag dumping device which ultimately didn't bring much meaningful or decisive advantage. Also, they struggled to adapt to Pirelli's tyres and wore them out too quickly. Ironically, the aggressive tyre use was a rare advantage in China when it was very cold, so the aggressive usage generated good heat into the body of the tyres.

At least in 2013, F1 will continue to be a downforce, aerodynamic war. If Mercedes can develop an aerodynamically sound car and a decent chassis, that will be most of the battle won. Then, they've got to develop that package throughout the year - something which has been a Brackley weakness. Note how BAR/Honda, Brawn and now Mercedes have sometimes built respectable cars, but failed to keep up with the frantic pace of development.

In fairness to Merc, their aerodynamic and design teams have experienced big changes - it may take time for the true results to be seen.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brackley has no place for Brawn?   

Back to top Go down

Brackley has no place for Brawn?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1