NASCAR in Europe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: NASCAR in Europe?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 am

Quote :
NASCAR is considering Europe. NASCAR is looking into the idea of racing across the Atlantic as it looks to grow interest in stock car racing overseas.
This story was first reported by Christian Sylt of Autoweek. George Silberman, NASCAR’s vice president of regional and touring series, says interest of racing over seas is to build up interest in Europe as the sport continues to grow.

“NASCAR would consider future exhibition race opportunities in Europe as part of a broader strategy of promoting stock-car racing in a region and supporting existing efforts like our Euro Racecar NASCAR Touring Series, which is about to embark on its second season.”

http://beyondtheflag.com/2013/01/18/nascar-is-considering-europe/

Hmm, I'd love NASCAR to race in Europe. I doubt the Cup Series would ever race in Europe; that schedule is fairly static and if any schedule changes happen, they will be in America. Its harder enough to get Cup on more road course races or race in Canada, let alone Europe.

I can see the Nationwide Series or Truck Series come to Europe, though. NASCAR has shown flexibility with these schedules; with visits to Montreal, racing on dirt and racing at Mosport. If they wanted to race in Europe, I think Brands Hatch Indy would be the perfect circuit for stock cars. Its tight, twisty and encourages bumper and fender banging. Double-file restarts into Paddock Hill bend would be epic to watch.

Ordinarily, I would find this highly unlikely. Then again, I bet nobody thought that NASCAR would race at Suzuka in the rain, race in Mexico City or race in Montreal...

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:28 am

Not going to happen.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 am

I would ordinarily say that as well, but its clear that NASCAR has been taking interest in European racing, with their official-sanctioning of the Euro Car Series.

If any of the top three series (Cup, Nationwide, Trucks) were to race in Europe, I think it would be more about building awareness of stock car racing for the Euro Series than any long-term strategy.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 am

Apart from us, no one knows what NASCAR is. It doesn't make sense to bring it to Europe unless they can get free to air tv for a year or two first. They won't and it won't come.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 am

I think NASCAR would get more support in the UK than you would believe. British motorsport fans are usually open to trying different forms of racing, they are racing fans first and foremost. If NASCAR held one of their top national touring races in the UK, you might be surprised at the turnout.

Racing at a road course would be the best solution. I'm not sure if Rockingham or Euro Speedway have SAFER barriers or meet NASCAR's other safety requirements.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:45 am

Cart tried it and failed and let's not forget why sky dropped NASCAR and kept indycar. I think nascars audience is you and one or two others.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 am

Champ Car failed in the UK because the racing…well there wasn’t any racing. It was at Brands Indy, and there wasn’t a single overtake. I know this because I was there – it was a BTCC support event. But most importantly, there was never any coherent strategy to make a real impact in Europe.

There is already so much single seater racing in Europe, so it’s hard for IndyCar/CART whatever to make an impact.

Whether it would be successful or not, there is undeniably a big gap in the market for NASCAR in Europe and the UK. Sky dropped NASCAR because they dislike motor racing, and it required an awful lot of commitment (36 races which last 3 hours plus). When IndyCar only has about 17 events, it suited Sky better. Also, IndyCar has had terrible viewing figures on Sky – so I don’t think that IndyCar is necessarily more popular than NASCAR in UK.

I truly believe that IndyCar’s and NASCAR’s lack of awareness in this country is down to poor promotion and a lack of well-watched TV networks. Even though Sky is considered mainstream, their viewing figures are pathetic. If F1 cannot gain traction on Sky, what are the chances for even less-known motorsports?

Whatever anyone might think of NASCAR, they are tremendous at marketing and promoting their product - and that's half the battle in making motor racing a sustainable business. If NASCAR were to visit the UK, I'm sure there would be a large crowd and much interest.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am

i disagree. I don't like there is much of an audience for it in europe. I think most Europeans are just to intelligent for red neck racing. I find nascar to be boring and I think the british public will too.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am

If they like the rough nature of BTCC, there is no reason why they wouldn’t like NASCAR. In many ways, NASCAR’s overpowered cars beat the most of the underpowered cars in Europe for entertainment any day.

Part of BTCC' attraction are the various rivalries between drivers, NASCAR has that in spades.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR in Europe?   

Back to top Go down

NASCAR in Europe?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1