BBC’s 2013 F1 plans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:22 am

The basics:

Suzi Perry to replace Jake Humphrey in anchoring the Beeb’s coverage of Formula One.

10 Grand’s Prix will be shown live, they include:

China, 14 April
Spain, 12 May
Canada, 9 June
Silverstone, 30 June
TBA*, 21 July
Belgium, 25 August
Italy, 8 September
Japan, 13 October
India, 27 October
Brazil, 24 November

There will be extended television highlights of the action from Monte Carlo and the other nine races that are not part of the BBC's live TV coverage.

Although the live races are welcome, one cannot help but feel that the Beeb’s F1 coverage is slowly but surely going downhill. Amazingly though, even with Sky’s cash and dedicated coverage, their coverage still makes me yawn.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:29 am

i think BBC in future will just have highlights and it will suit them.

Sky coverage is ok. saw some of the races live on Sky.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I will always watch the BBC over the Sky when there is a choice of the two.

Sky's is very polished, but lacks the enthusiasm of the BBC coverage.

I am not a great fan of Eddie Jordan, but I think that Jake was a wonderfully enthusiastic "F1 Fan", and the combination of the two of them with Coulthard just worked.

Damon Hill, Martin Brundle and the fella whose name escapes me just wasn't the same.

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:12 am

Quote :
I will always watch the BBC over the Sky when there is a choice of the two.

Sky's is very polished, but lacks the enthusiasm of the BBC coverage.

In a nutshell, yes.

There still isn’t great camaraderie between the Sky presenters. They might have every round live, but they’ll have to rely on that advantage, because the presentation sends me to sleep.

Imo, the BBC dramatically improved UK TV coverage when they returned to F1 in 2009. Every session live, different driver camera views, no adverts during races etc. It’s clear that Sky has just cloned what the BBC does; only it’s more boring. With the post-race coverage, for example, the F1 Forum has been superb…so Sky has Herbert/Hill blithering on after the GP – what joy.

Whilst EJ is undoubtedly a clown, he does provide an amusement factor – him and DC make a strangely good combo. Herbert and especially Hill are just so…yawn. Sleep Sleep

Damon Hill just blithers on without really saying anything. Herbert is similarly dire.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am

Last season I was watching the races on Sky mainly cos we paid for it so i'm gunna watch it but found it just seemed to be on way too long at the start with too much gab it just gets boring least when ITV showed it there was about an hour before start (including 5 million adverts) then the grid walk and race start whereas with Sky its on for like 2 hours before race start is there any need, really? what can you put in for 2 hours that no one has seen before during the weekend, anyway other than that the actual race watching is fine I don't really have any issues with it, just hope it continues as a part of the Sky Sports package not going to an ESPN like state when you have to pay more to get it, if that happens then its game over for Sky and F1 to a point
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 am

Absolutely. When Sky debuted in Melbourne last year, they started with a two hour pre-Grand Prix build up. To make matters worse, the pre-race content was deeply snoozy. After a few rounds, Sky quietly cut pre-race to 90 minutes. Even 90 minutes is just too long, Sky seem to think that the longer the programme is, the better – epic fail.

Like you, I already had Sky way before 2012, so I wasn’t a motor racing fan who had to contemplate purchasing a Sky package to watch Formula One. Sky’s viewing figures in 2012 were very low, they might be immensely profitable because of the high subscription fees, but they don’t do anything to enhance the popularity of the sport. Whatever guff Sky comes up with, viability is critical for casual viewings – something that BBC has in spades and Sky lacks.

IMO, Sky alienated a lot of potential customers by restricting their purchasing options. It’s not possible to only buy the F1 channel; users have no choice but to buy another Sky Sports package.

For me, keeping Sky Sports is worthwhile because IndyCar is also broadcasted. If that goes, then the SS package is rather crap to me – apart from the F1 channel.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BBC’s 2013 F1 plans   

Back to top Go down

BBC’s 2013 F1 plans
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1