2013 Grand Am

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 am

This will be the last season as "Grand Am" as a separate series, with the unification of both the ALMS and Grand Am in 2014. The last season will be a cracker, if the initial driver announcements are anything to go by.

Starworks have resigned Allan McNish for the 2013 Daytona 24 Hours. Nelson Piquet Jr has signed for Action Express for Daytona. I know Piquet was a liability in F1, but he's done quite well in America, winning in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, Pro Series and in the Truck Series this season. As a natural road racer, he will be at home on the Daytona road course.

I'm always amazed at how close the Daytona 24 Hours is, for an endurance race. Last year, Allmendinger and McNish were banging bodywork for the lead in the final few hours. Its like a 24 hour sprint race, with how everyone races for position.

Ganassi hasn't revealed their Daytona line-up yet, but one has to assume that Montoya, Franchitti and McMurray will be entered. Whenever Montoya races in Grand Am, he's thoroughly entertaining. Razz

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Ganassi’s line up for Daytona has been revealed, with a small twist.

Usually, Ganassi’s NASCAR and IndyCar drivers share the same car. Next year, Montoya will be jumping to the 01 car, joining Scott Pruett, Kimball and Memo Rojas.

The usual suspects will be in the 02 entry; Dario Franchitti, Scot Dixon, Jamie McMurray and Joey Hand.

Personally, the 01 combination is a dream line-up. Pruett and Rojas are so experienced, yet Montoya is bullet-fast whatever he drives. He drives a big, heavy stock car for most of the year, yet jumps into the prototype like he’s a veteran.

Antony Davidson will also be driving, his first race since that awful La Sarthe crash.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:48 am

no rahal in the 01 which is a surprise not in the team. but then Kimball is an ganassi driver. probably only weak link in the team

02 line up is good.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:45 am

Remember that Rahal is no longer a Ganassi driver, he’s returned to his father’s IndyCar team. Kimball is a good road racer, whilst not as strong as his co-drivers, the 01 looks to have an exceptional line-up.

The 02 has a strong lineup, but they’re all part timers in Grand Am. I’m being picky, but if I had to choose, the 01 team is the stronger of both teams. Montoya is a part timer, but he sure as hell doesn’t drive like it.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:40 am

Anybody looking forward to the Daytona 24 Hours? I love the variety of drivers from different motorsports. It appears that Audi, BMW, Chevrolet and Porsche are all ramping up their efforts, with their factory drivers in privateer efforts. It is particularly nice to see Andy Priaulx make his Daytona debut, driving a Turner BMW M3.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 am

Grand am have been getting a shit kicking all over the Internet for not inviting radio Le
Mans back this year to cover the race and unless they I won't be watching.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
Grand am have been getting a shit kicking all over the Internet for not inviting radio Le

As for a "shit kicking", how many people is that? Or is that a few people who bitch and scream very loud, to make the reaction look worse than it is?

On RLM’s own website, they make it clear that their absence from Daytona had nothing to do with Grand Am, but MRN are covering the race via radio. Plus, it’s not like Daytona is a fixture for RLM, they’ve only covered it on occasional years.

I would rather have Speed’s commentary and team, as they are far more knowledgeable about Grand Am than RLM is. American TV is usually rubbish, but Speed’s Grand Am teams are one of few exceptions.

For ACO racing, RLM is the best out there, but for racing outside the ACO, there just might be better options.

When Motors TV used Speed commentary for ALMS for many years, I didn't see many people complain...

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

abuse they got was unreal but was fair.

nice to see andy p racing.

Audi have nice team in the 24 car.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 am

I don't think it is fair. MRN are vastly experienced in radio reporting for motor racing, I can see why they are the favoured radio option. Anyhow, if RLM themselves said that it wasn't Grand Am's decision, then the anger is a tad misguided. If you go to RLM's forums, look at their explanation - they said that Grand Am wanted them at Daytona.

This is from their forum:

Quote :
Sadly I have to confirm that we will not be covering the Rolex 24.
This is out of our hands and in essence hinges on MRN's long standing agreement with GRAND AM. GRAND AM certainly wanted us there and we wanted to be there (and had budget to do so)

This poster on RLM's forum sums the situation up:

Quote :
Just examples, but this is just childish and stupid (whether serious or not). I'm very much gonna miss RLM's presence too, but I understand cold realities and that some of these comments are way too fan-boyish.

Also when some people say "well I guess there's no need to follow the race now" it just tells to me that they're not seriously fans of the event... if RLM suddenly stopped covering Dubai next year for whatever reason, would they say the same for that after all the praise of past two events?

Bingo - in a nut shell.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 am

I'd been waiting for someone to get there finger out if there arse over covering Dubai. It's been a great race for years. But they're would only been a hour or two if highlights on motors and nothing else.

Well I'm here the radio Le Mans deal to cover Daytona has gone through this week. Radio Le Mans fans tend to be motorsport fans and that's f1 right the way down to club events at a cold and windy snetterton. They get fans because there good at what they do and not because of who they are. In the same way that's Carlton kibrys shit, radio Le Mans in great.

Top 5 commentators in the world at the moment

Play by play

1) Hindy
2) Ben Edwards
3) Martin Haven
4) Leigh Diffy
5) Jack Burnicle
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am

I find some Radio Le Mans fans just a tad too much like fanboy obsessives for my liking. If an event is somehow not covered by RLM, for whatever reason – it suddenly becomes shit. As the stupid and ridiculous Twitter reaction showed, that’s no rational – it’s just blind ideology without logic. A motor racing event should be judged upon the actual merits of the championship, not who the radio broadcaster is or is not.

There is fine talent at RLM, but I find all of their commentators a bit too ACO-only and anti-everything else. They made a few snooty comments about last year’s Daytona race, if they don’t like it – they shouldn’t cover it.

Hindy is a bit overrated. He gets far too excited over the radio and cannot maintain much composure, plus he’s a tad biased towards anything Audi. A bit like RLM in general, he’s okay at ACO-events, but a bit lost elsewhere.

Ben Edwards is the most versatile motorsport commentator, by far. He’s covered so much motor racing, yet has adapted to each challenge with brilliant impartiality, professionalism and composure – those are things I cannot say about Hindy. Hindy is fine commentating on his own pet-favourite championships, but is nowhere near as flexible as Edwards. Edwards strikes a rare balance between accurately judging what happens on the track whilst remaining neutral. Not gormless or not assertive - just the right balance.

Haven has become increasingly irritating to me – his latest favourite sport is to interrupt his co-commentator and pretend that he’s the racing driver. Haven is still a great commentator, but has become a tad annoying in some respects. Leigh Diffy will need to be versatile; commentating on F1 and IndyCar!

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 am

For me rlm being there does make it better

Audi have supported them a lot as have nissan so if there is any bias then that's where it started. But I can't say I've noticed it. Hindy is the only one that is aco biased. The mwm team is tim gray who is junior single seaters and bored by sportscar seemingly. Nick Damon for f1 pit reporter and interview and Declan Brennan us correspondent reporting in indycar and NASCAR. That not very biased is it.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 am

I’m not saying that RLM doesn’t make an event better. It does – they add variety. However, the approach of sadly a large group of listeners is rather silly. If a motorsport event is entertaining or decent, it doesn’t stop becoming decent because a certain broadcaster isn’t covering it. The backlash over RLM initially not covering Daytona was pretty absurd and fanboy’s at their worst.

In fact, some listeners of RLM actually degrade the station with their loony-like ideologies and conspiracies. If I was running RLM, I would delete all those silly tweets over Daytona to restore some credibility to the station.

Hindy happens to be RLM’s lead commentator for most major events, so that ACO and Audi fanboy bias is perhaps more problematic then it seems; but that’s where he badly loses out to someone like Ben Edwards – Edwards has a level of professionalism that Hindy doesn’t. I know Nissan supports RLM, but I never hear Hindy being so complimentary about them. He speaks as if he's an Audi spokesman. Has Hindhaugh married Dr Ullrich yet? Wink

If someone wants to be a fanboy, that's their right - but perhaps they shouldn't be a fanboy whilst commentating.

Nick Damon is a very, very good pit reporter. A major TV company should have snapped him up – very articulate and a clear communicator.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 am

Full line-up after qualifying for this Rolex 24 can be viewed in the link: http://www.grand-am.com/scheduleResults/results.aspx?eid=3463&sid=1

Ganassi lead the way in DP, Konrad Motorsport lead the way in GT, and Napleton Racing will lead the way in the GX class. I quite like this GX class, the Porsche Cayman makes for a great racing car. Cool

I think this race will be an absolute thriller, as it always is. Whenever Montoya gets in a race car, it's exciting - such a character and a great driver.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 am

there will be a gx 911 this time next year. Porsche seem to hate anybody racing the Cayman.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:02 pm

It's a bit like the road car, Porsche have been very cautious about making stripped out editions in fear of upstaging their own 911. With how expensive the 911 has become, there is a nice gap in the market.

For next year, you can bet that Porsche will be asking the Cayman to be pegged back so it doesn't hassle the 911.

Sadly, one of the Turner Motorsport M3's has been withdrawn from the race - the one that Priaulx was due to drive. It must have been a big practice accident. Brake failure was the apparent cause.

Essentially, I think Murdoch hacked into the brakes of the BMW - and that's what caused the failure. Just terrible, now that Murdoch got sussed hacking into dead people, now he's hacking into racing cars.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Anybody watching this?

Poor old Mazda, as much as I despise diesel, I can't help but feel sorry for them. They're trying to convince American's to buy diesel Mazda's...yet all they've done is create Caution's. There isn't worse publicity.

It is tremendous to see all these DP's on the lead lap, all racing hard. These restarts are wild, with cars fanning out everywhere. Its more like a NASCAR-restart. Cool

I did like what Boris Said about the Porsche 911' speed advantage: "I hope all those VW's break". Razz

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Interestingly BMW have a speed advantage in Dp but not in Gt. So that's where performance balancing gets you (Not very far) and it just creates more arguements. TO Boris I say tough, them 911's are kicking your back side but so are the Audi's and Ferrari's. So.... It's Bullshit.

Sorry Boris and anyway you'll probably get that advantage next year anyway.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

BMW's DP engine was given an RPM boost for Daytona, and understandably so. They were way down in speed last year in this same race. As for GT, it does seem that the Turner cars are lacking in a straight line.

Montoya is setting some stunning laps at the moment, he just ran a laptime that was a tenth off that car's fastest time. The 02 is back on the lead lap after the 30 second penalty, if there is a caution, both Ganassi cars will be right in contention again.

It was fascinating to see Jamie McMurray and McNish brake off the banking, into turn 1. I think Jamie got a lesson in late braking. I'm pleased to see Ryan Hunter Reay drive strongly.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 am

I am hoping for 24 Audi win!

I wonder if the 60 will or ganassi can hold them with speed!
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 am

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 24 and Filipe Albuquerque oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!!!!! So happy!!!
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 am

It was another nail-biting, thrilling Daytona 24 Hours. Ganassi has been the class of the field this weekend, they prepared a great car and BMW Power was very influential in the victory. Out of the 01 drivers, Montoya stood out to me. He doesn’t drive a DP very often, but drives it like a veteran. His ability to be fast in any race car is astounding; whether its IndyCar, CART, F1, NASCAR or Grand Am – JPM is extremely fast.

The DP drivers got a little tough towards the end, shoving each other into the dirt. It was entertaining.

The GT battle was nothing short of sensational, especially when two Ferrari’s and an Audi were three-abreast down the back straightaway.

The Grand-Am spec Audi R8 has dramatically improved compared to last year. Audi seemed to put more effort into GT than any other manufacture, but it was still a great win. Poor Rum Bum racing – that V10 just needed a little more fuel to finish – coming that close after almost 24 hours must hurt.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

i barely saw any of the race. apart the over night stuff ( around 8am UK time) till the fog hit and the on boards but listen to most of it.

i watch it on Grand am TV but seriously i am glad the 01 won wayne taylor moaning was bit stupid i know ganassi do stuff but bit over the top!

I am so happy for Filipe. Also good for jarvis could win sebring in 2 or so month time.

the ganassi cars were the quickest over the weekend and did the job shame for 02 and the 2 car, allan wants a watch
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 am

Wayne Taylor bitches and moans too much. He conveniently forgets that Max Angelelli drives his car – a driver who shoves anybody off the track (Barber last year is a fine demonstration).

Taylor’s son wrecked the car coming out of the pits last year, perhaps Wayne should concentrate on his own drivers rather than complaining about Ganassi’s excellent. Ganassi’s speed advantage wasn’t that great. To me, it looked like the 01 drivers were faster and all of them clicked off amazing laptimes.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 am

Ganassi did have a massive power and speed advantage but bitching in private to Grand am would be smarter than doing in public.

Ganassi bitch and moan as much or more than anyone else, considering they have more money and a bigger team that's kind of ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Grand Am   

Back to top Go down

2013 Grand Am
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next