HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 am

On Fifth Gear yesterday (Discovery channel, Sky 520), Tiff Needell tried out driving games. He tested I Racing, Sim Racing, Forza 4, Gran Turismo 5, F1 2011, DIRT 3 and Crash Burn 4.

If there is a person who can judge driving realism, itís Tiff. He was surprisingly lukewarm to I Racing, this is supposedly the most realistic racing game, yet he found it nothing like a real car. Tiff thought that Sim Racing felt more realistic, but still detached.

Needell then tried out Forza; Silverstone with a 458 Italia. He found it nothing like a real 458 Italia, and a very poor game.

Gran Turismo 5 was tested, and much to my surprise, he found this the most realistic game to play. He said there was a degree of realism with the feel and physics of real cars at the limit.

I found it very surprising.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 am

I'm calling bullshit on this one. There's no way in hell that test was setup right.

He call gt5 as numb as forza though

The sheer amount of training and testing the gr academy drivers need is proof just how poor gt is. They test 24/7.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:32 am

It's this kind of bullshit that makes people thing there great drives and there not.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 am

I don't think Tiff Needell is a crap driver, I can qualify that personally.

Not sure loads of training on GT Academy is proof of how poor the game is.

I have a theory with these so-called "sims" like I Racing. The more fidgety and difficult you make the cars, the more people are conned that its like real life.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Gran truismo is suppose to have quite good physics.

Tiff is a great drive, and I believe either not everything was set up right or something rather than him being a bad driver, or it was paid for by codemasters or something. Dirt 3 is about the worst driving I've tried.

If real cars arnt as twitchy as they are in gtr2 then I'm Michael Schumacher (2002 editon) and would be f1 champion by now...

For realism I have to believe its (tested)

IRacing or Sim Raceway
Gran Turismo 5
Forza 4
F1
Dirt

Might be wrong but hey. I don't hate gran Turismo I have all 5. I don't believe it's a sim for one second though.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 am

I see what youíre saying. Is anything really a simulator, apart from F1 simulators, which are tailor made?

In the same way that GT isnít a sim, albeit has elements of realism, I doubt these various PC games are simulators either.

Tiff was using a very expensive seat and wheel, it cost 11k in total!

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 am

Mobil 1 wrote:

I see what youíre saying. Is anything really a simulator, apart from F1 simulators, which are tailor made?

In the same way that GT isnít a sim, albeit has elements of realism, I doubt these various PC games are simulators either.

Tiff was using a very expensive seat and wheel, it cost 11k in total!

no pc game is 100% accurate to reality

The rig might cost 11k but with one click I can make gtr2 go from feeling like the best driving experience i've ever had to a total piece of shit and while I was setting up my t500rs (for the third time(3 installs)) I missed it and it was terrible. It's very easy to get it slightly wrong. Plus then then there's getting the sensitivity setting wrong, then if you use the wrong steering lock with the wrong degrees of rotation and turn the wheel through 90 degrees and nothing happens in the game, you go the other way and 1 milometer of steering input throws the car wildly across the track. It usually takes a few hours to dial a wheel into a game.

There is one thing I forgot, who is sim raceways indycar test driver?
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 am

I find its just best to enjoy computer games for what they are, games that might have aspects of realism, but it seems like I Racing and other things have conned people to a new level.

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

I would have put Forza ahead of GT5, reason being the tire simulation is better on Forza than GT5.

It is pointless playing either game with the normal default tires.

I might give this test a go myself.

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 am

I think the sport and comfort tyres on GT5 give a fairly accurate indication of grip levels, if not feel.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 am

I prefer forza as well but I believe gt's basic physics are better. Although I hate the tyre model to.

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:37 am

I am watching it right now !

The problem is that Tiff is playing like he is in a real car, this is not how you play a racing game, Jezza knows this !

99% of the cars Tiff drives have been set-up where as the cars on GT & Forza are not, the normal tires on Forza are useless everyone knows this because they are normal road tires, everyone knows the most important part of a car is the tires, as for no dipping under breaking, well when i play Forza & i break the car dips down at the front, also Forza has ABS, Traction Control & Stability Control on as default, he doesn't know enough about gaming to make a judgment, yes he knows about cars loads but you need a combination of both.

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:53 am

Quote :
The problem is that Tiff is playing like he is in a real car

I believe that was the whole point.

Quote :
99% of the cars Tiff drives have been set-up where as the cars on GT & Forza are not

Have they? From Tiffís piece, he seemed to be describing fundamental feel and basic handling, not fine details.

Quote :
he doesn't know enough about gaming to make a judgment, yes he knows about cars loads but you need a combination of both.

That misses the point. The whole purpose of the test was to parachute a highly skilled racing driver to play computer games, and see if any of them could relate to real-world driving and feel. Obviously, some games made the grade, some didnít. Knowledge of computer games is irrelevant, a number of titles convey the impression of realism, and this was being tested for.

Anybody can know about computer games, but few have the skills behind the wheel like Tiff has. It was interesting to see what his impressions were.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.   

Back to top Go down

Fifth Gear, Tiff Needell tries out computer games.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1