DTM and Super GT tie up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: DTM and Super GT tie up   Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:21 am

Quote :
“The DTM and Super GT have signed a deal to have common regulations, the new DTM regulations, starting from 2014. The deal means that DTM cars will be eligible in the Japanese Super GT championship and that Super GT cars will be allowed in the DTM.

With the current difference between the DTM and Super GT cars, a balance of performance (BOP) system will be used for a transitional period. DTM have cars represented from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz while Super GT have cars from Toyota, Nissan and Honda.”

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8270

This could be a good way of increasing manufactures in DTM, without the Japanese makers having to invest in a different set of rules. All I am interested in, though, is whether DTM cars will have less downforce.

I’m only saying this because I care, DTM is woefully boring. The cars are stuck like glue, tyre wear is virtually non-existent, the braking distances are too short, and, even when there is some classic touring car rubbing, the cars get damaged and drivers get penalised.

Lets take Valencia as an example. Priaulx really leaned on Frey's car, it was beating and banging - that's touring car racing in a nutshell...oh no, Priaulx was told to give the position back - totally pathetic. Even when something exciting happens, the organisers penalise it. Rolling Eyes

DTM needs to become a V8, faster version of BTCC. This is real touring car action, this is how its done. The bump and run, rubbing panels, fenders - everything possible!

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: DTM and Super GT tie up   Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 am

when me and mark were on the garage tour. they said the are considering freezing the cars so they are the same for a number of years.

Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: DTM and Super GT tie up   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 am

I thought this was off. Maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: DTM and Super GT tie up   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Yep, DTM cars have been frozen since 2008, and are now again after the supposed "new cars". However, DTM cars don't need freezing, it might be a disaster as the snoozy racing will just continue.

I am very suspicious about this year's so-called "new look DTM". Apart from the cars losing two doors each, I don't see what has changed. They still have similar looking aero pieces, same structure etc.

If they just cut the downforce and had steel brakes, those two subtle changes would see much better racing.

They need to sort out UK coverage, as well. ESPN basically equates to no TV coverage at all, watching it on a dodgy stream in Spanish isn't much fun.

With how Superstars is slowly expanding outside Italy, it could become the new DTM. Real touring cars and better variety of brands...

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: DTM and Super GT tie up   Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:46 pm

They should use gt3 cars it would save a lot of time and effort. Toyota/Lexus might need rot build a new cars as would Honda but the rest don't.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: DTM and Super GT tie up   Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:34 am

That would be the obvious choice, but I think DTM needs to look at V8 Superstars. They have a number of brands represented who don’t offer much factory support. Plus, with tasty cars like the Jaguar XF and Maserati Quattroporte, they offer something unique.

Superstar cars are not festooned with huge wings, silly aero or ridiculous splitters. GT3 rules are brilliant, don’t get me wrong, but I like the unusual cars that Superstars have. Quattroporte’s and XF’s aren’t usually touring car material – but it works.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DTM and Super GT tie up   

Back to top Go down

DTM and Super GT tie up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1