Share | 

Remembering Dan Wheldon.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am

Letís take today to remember Dan Wheldon, who died one year ago today in an accident at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on lap 11.

I have rather ugly memories of that day. Clearly, a lot of cars were totalled, but a certain 77 car was covered up. It immediately struck me as peculiar, but obviously I didnít know what happened. The wait was agonising, because little information was being provided.

When Randy Benard announced the news, my heart sank. It was a carbon copy of Dale Earnhardt death, when Mike Helton (NASCAR president) stated: ďIím sorry to say; today weíve lost Dale EarnhardtĒ.

Wheldon was just superb at Indianapolis. Put him in a car, and he would make it competitive, as proven by his surprise win in a non-Andretti, Penske or Ganassi car.

Letís think of Wheldon and his family on this day.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Here here, thank you for posting that.

I will remember that smile and those teeth for a very long time as well as the 2011 Indy win.

Oh and helio climbing the fence on dan wheldon way in st Petersburg

I can't believe it's been a year though.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:07 am

i never forget that day. i didn't watch the race as i didn't have coverage, i will following via twitter while watching a movie on TV and when i read that dan had passed away. my heart sunk to the floor!

i remember the pre race coverage that they had for st pete's race. when will send dan was right in front of him and he looked in a bad way.

its quite surprising its been a year but still never forgotten!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 am

To think that retched, awful bloody car killed Dan Wheldon is even more saddening. Thankfully, the insane wide open racing has been totally eliminated, though the much safer oval racing didnít come in time for poor Dan. Sad

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
Here here, thank you for posting that.

I will remember that smile and those teeth for a very long time as well as the 2011 Indy win.

Oh and helio climbing the fence on dan wheldon way in st Petersburg

I can't believe it's been a year though.

I know, it only seems like yesterday. There I was, watching the IndyCar finale, and tragedy shortly afterwards. Wheldonís 2011 500 win is one of my favourite moments in racing; Hilderbrand had that thing won, only to wreck on the last turn. You couldnít make it up.

Back to top Go down
mazzaf1
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 am

Well said all round,

I wasn't watching the race - used to download them afterwards, and the first I heard was an announcement IndyCar made over facebook, it took a long time to sink in - disbelief more than anything, the magnitude and scale of the accident was too surreal much to accept at the time, before the gravity of it took hold.

That Indy win was a truly memorable race, one of the events I did catch online.

Dan will be as ever truly missed, but not forgotten.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:47 am

The nadir of the aftermath, sadly had to be the Daily Mail's and some other UK media response. They tried to paint Bernard as some blood thirsty junkie who wanted Wheldon to risk his life for a big cheque. Bernard had bigger issues to deal with, but I would have sued the Daily Fail for such blatant misinformation and slander.

The 2011 Indianapolis 500 showcased one great aspect of American racing. You can finish the race with a wrecked car, yet still be classified as normal. My favourite memory of this is Clint Boywer in the Daytona 500, he finished on his roof on fire but still finished pretty well. Laughing

Wheldon will always be remembered for what a driver, champion and even commentator he was. He was in the booth for Toronto 2011, I thought he was good in the booth. A man of many talents.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 am

A bit like how Roland Ratzenberger (RIP) is the forgotten man from Imola 1994, Paul Dana and Greg Moore are often the forgotten IndyCar drivers who have passed away. It wasn't so long ago that Dana died in a really cringe-worthy accident at TMS. We should also remember these drivers. Sad

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 am

watching 2011 indy 500 and listening to dan talk in the winners area about his mother and the emotion in his voice....it brings tears to my everytime. 2011 500 is the best!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:06 am

I think the 2012 Indy 500 was even better as a race, purely because of the slipstreaming with the new car and Sato being Sato. But as a stand out memory, Hilderbrand last year certainly provides that.

I love every Indy 500, its my favourite race of them all. There's no race that takes my breath away like the Indy 500

Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:39 am

Hard to believe a year has passed since that fateful day. I wasn't watching the race at the time, but as news spread across the web about the crash, I hoped for all the drivers' safety. Then the news came of Dan's passing. Neutral

Missed, but never forgotten.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remembering Dan Wheldon.    

Back to top Go down

Remembering Dan Wheldon.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1