View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm

http://morefrontwing.com/2012/09/30/2013-indycar-schedule-revealed/

Double headers, standing starts more oval and a triple crown with a million bonus for a winner. Lychee surprise.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 am

I like that schedule; it’s a shame there isn’t a more equal balance between RD’s and ovals, but the addition of Pocono makes up for that. The race at Pocono will be breath-taking, it’s got the longest and widest front stretch in motorsport. They’ll be drafting all over the place. Turns 2 and 3 are flat with no progressive banking, they’ll definitely have to lift or even brake into those turns.

Houston is a good addition. As street courses ago, Houston was one of the better temporary courses for passing.

I love standing starts and the anticipation of them, I’m glad their being introduced.

Double headers? I’m not sure about that, IndyCar has an enormous task to get people to watch one race per weekend, whether they’ll watch two races remains to be seen.

IndyCar racing is now perfect on ovals, but the road courses need improving. Baltimore was brilliant, but loads of crazy crap went down. In my opinion, the horsepower needs to be increased and the tyres need to degrade faster.

Its funny that NASCAR has cut down the 500 milers, IndyCar raced 500 miles at Fontana and it was thrilling.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Indycar doesn't really need a degrading tyres because the the limited fuel tank size pit stops happen regularly anyway. A tyre that slides would be better. But right now there are no tyres for next year as Firestone has pulled out.

A few more horse powers for road courses would be good

There is a rumour that Tony George is trying to buy indycar, there are rumours of investors and teams willing to go with. Frankly this can only lead to another split if its true. That would kill open wheel racing in America for good.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 am

Firestone is staying for 2013, 2014 is up in the air. I think they will resign, Firestone is too important for IndyCar, they’ve been a quality tyre supplier.

Tyres do need to degrade faster, because that will make the cars slide with less mechanical grip. Either that or reduce downforce, increase horsepower. Although IndyCar races with the DW12 have been much better than with the horrible old car.

Bernard needs to stay; he’s made IndyCar have a future. New car, suitable ovals (Pocono!), ditched the events that didn’t make money, double file restarts, better officiating and more responsive to change.

Tony George should never be allowed to direct IndyCar again. He was responsible for stupid, boring pack racing with underpowered, over-gripped cars. An all all oval series with only American drivers - whoops..................

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 am

The degrading tyre thing is good but only if its like gp2. Where you can change but only once and they won't last if you abuse them. Right now the degrading thing in f1 isn't working as the pit far to often. For indycar more power less downforce would do the same kid just fine.
Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:13 am

I'm glad its carrying on into October next year, I miss the series already.

I like the system for the tyres in Indys but I'd like to see a little more performence and drop off from the reds. I'm not really sure how long they can run the reds currently, maybe if they keep the current reds and made them the blacks and introduced a new red with a clearer characteristic. I'm not sure how that would work on the ovals or if they change the compounds for ovals currently.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am

Quote :
The degrading tyre thing is good but only if its like gp2. Where you can change but only once and they won't last if you abuse them. Right now the degrading thing in f1 isn't working as the pit far to often. For indycar more power less downforce would do the same kid just fine.

It’s hard to argue against the current racing in F1, though. I’ve never enjoyed a season so much; it’s up there with the best action in racing for me. Even Singapore, a track tough to pass on, saw two cars nose to tail along the Anderson Bridge.

I would argue the opposite of what you’re saying. Teams now try and minimise pit stops to have track position, and conserve tyres instead.

Another part of IndyCar's problem is some of the road courses they race at. Mid-Ohio and Sonoma just don't work for IndyCar, both tracks are too narrow without long straightaways for drafting and braking zones.

Quote :
I'm glad its carrying on into October next year, I miss the series already.

I like the system for the tyres in Indys but I'd like to see a little more performence and drop off from the reds. I'm not really sure how long they can run the reds currently, maybe if they keep the current reds and made them the blacks and introduced a new red with a clearer characteristic.

Me too, mid September is just way too early to end a season. America does seem to be a country where you need regular events to get noticed. What you say is true, personally I don’t notice a real drop off with the red side wall tyres, not enough of a difference to create passing.

Quote :
I'm not sure how that would work on the ovals or if they change the compounds for ovals currently.

The compounds for ovals are totally different, clearly, as the loads put on tyres on ovals are completely different stresses compared to road courses, which are mainly traction limited, for example. Firestone has done a great job with the 2012 oval tyres; they now drop off in performance after a handful of laps, which creates passing throughout a race.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:16 am

The reason indycar ends so soon is simple, no one will watch it once the nfl season starts. In American sports its Nfl followed by a big gap before Baseball, Backetball not sure which then NASCAR etc etc

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 am

No, I don’t think that’s quite right. IndyCar ended early this year because last year’s schedule was thrown into disarray after the Las Vegas tragedy. Last year’s schedule ended in late October, which is when next year’s schedule will also end.

Before American open wheel was reunified, IndyCar’s schedule ended early simply because they didn’t have enough events.

For IndyCar, there is little choice but to compete with NASCAR and other popular sports. Ducking out and hiding will get them nowhere. Hosting a season which ends in winter and regular races is the only way for IndyCar to gain awareness.

IndyCar races have been almost all excellent this year, the sport need to show itself off rather than be scared.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:03 pm

I don't think you truely grasp how big American football is
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:38 pm

http://www.nascar.com/news/120228/daytona-500-2012-second-most-watched-history/index.html

2012 Daytona 500 was watched by 36.5 million americans
2012 Nfl Superbowl was watched by 97.5 million americans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLII

Indycar are actually being cleaver not competing with american football

On a second read it's 36.5 watched a portion of Daytona compared to 148.3 million who watched a portion of the Superbowl

Motorsport is great but the numbers don't lie, it's a minority sport, sadly.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 am

The NFL season is good to watch. nothing like the superbowl worth staying up and watching up.

Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 am

Quote :
I don't think you truely grasp how big American football is

Nope, I fully grasp how big American football is.

Quote :
Indycar are actually being cleaver not competing with american football

As I explained in my above post, IndyCar has not intentionally ended so early this year, nor did the series end intentionally early when it was split.

IndyCar has no choice but to compete with other sports out there. With IndyCar ending early this year, the series will now have no coverage whatsoever until March next year. For a series trying to rebuild itself for the future, that lack of awareness is unaffordable. Sponsors who bank roll the sport want maximum visibility, and that can only happen with regular races and a finale that at least ends in October.

IndyCar will have 19 events next year, which is definitely a step in the right direction. IndyCar needs to be on TV regularly, so the awareness and following can develop from week-to-week. IndyCar has a genuine asset in the Indy 500, a race that can rival NASCAR’s 600 for same day ratings.

IndyCar’s new DW12 has created some excellent racing, especially on ovals. This will hopefully give IndyCar momentum. IMO, IndyCar with the DW12 is more exciting on big ovals than NASCAR is - but people need to be aware. I think Pocono will be a huge draw next year, the ticket packages are especially very competitive. If IndyCar fretted about the popularity of other sports, the series might as well close immediately and give up.

The only way for IndyCar to flourish is to compete, and hopefully when the TV rights get re-negotiated in the near future, IndyCar can be on a popular network all the time, giving it a fighting chance.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:39 pm

I was wrong.

Indycars tv has been almost as bad as alms being on espn3 has been. Some races getting well below a million viewers. Indycar needs to compete with NASCAR that's for certain. Having Saturday races might give them some viewers in October, November time.

You mention IndyCar racing on Saturday nights. This is exactly correct. IndyCar has strategically positioned its calendar so that major races like Pocono, Texas and Fontana do not conflict with NASCAR races.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 pm

But that’s exactly what was expected. When Tony George signed a deal with NBC Sports Network, it consigned IndyCar to be on a small network for years. The only saving grace is that ABC show a number of races, on a rotating basis with both stations. Rather cleverly, Randy Bernard has secured more races on ABC. This includes Texas on a Saturday night – that will net IndyCar huge exposure.

ABC is a major ESPN network in the US, and the prime channel for NASCAR night racing.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:18 am

The Detroit Bell Isle Circuit is returning to the configuration used in 2000 and 2001, adding a long straightaway compared to this year's configuration. Ever since IndyCar returned to Bell Isle on the current configuration its made overtaking next to impossible, unless drivers crash into each other.

I am impressed at how long each double header race will be. Both races on Saturday and Sunday will be 70 laps long. It should allow for decent battles to develop, especially as race 1 will have standing starts. I cannot wait for the standing starts, I love the anticipation, drama and skill involved when the lights go out. Champ Car's standing starts were good.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am

Hmmmm

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/type/news/51994-smoke2indy-petition/
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 am

Signed. With how versatile Tony Stewart is, I’m sure he would be competitive in the Indianapolis 500 once again. The spec Honda-era was a big no-no for Stewart, being a loyal General Motors person.

Now that Chevrolet is back, and someone is offering him a competitive car – it must be a dilemma for Tony. Perhaps get the best chance to win your favourite race in the world…

Personally, this is WAY more exciting than Mrs Hospital potentially returning to the Indy 500. As Tony is from Indiana and such a star driver, I predict the Indy 500 wouldn’t have enough seats to match demand. Single-day attendance already dwarfs anything from NASCAR.

Yes, Mrs Hospital does have her cheerleaders. However, if IMS announced Tony were to race in the Indy 500 – watch the ticket sales explode….

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 am

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has released 33 reasons why Tony Stewart should enter the Indianapolis 500:

Quote :
33. Stewart truly appreciates Indianapolis 500 traditions like a 33-car starting field.

32. He can sleep in his own bed near Columbus every night and still drive to work.

31. The last time Penske sprung an ‘Unfair Advantage’ on the Indianapolis 500 field (1994 with the Mercedes-Ilmor ‘pushrod’ engine), Al Unser Jr. won the race in car #31.

30. Stew’s presence would create a lot of buzz for the Indianapolis 500.

29. It would also create buzz (and lead-in viewers) for NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway later in the day.

28. You know he really wants to do it.

27. It would give the media something to get excited about. Remember the frenzy Stewart created when he showed up on Bump Day a few years ago and led everyone into thinking he was going to jump into a car?

26. How many chances come along in a lifetime to drive for Penske Racing at Indianapolis?

25. He would confirm his standing as the most versatile racecar driver in the world.

24. He could eat breakfast every day at Charlie Brown’s Steak & Pancake House on Main Street.

23. He can prove that fitness is more than meets the eye.

22. He might inspire or encourage other NASCAR drivers to try “doing the double.”

21. He might inspire or encourage some IndyCar Series drivers to try “doing the double.”

20. To remind folks that he raced #20 his rookie year of Indy cars back in 1996.

19. He’ll be 42, and he’s not going to get any younger.

18. To relive the days of his youth shooting pool at Kelly’s Pub.

17. For a little variety from the monotonous 38-weekend NASCAR schedule.

16. To make the storyline of what would be Roger Penske’s record 16th Indianapolis 500 victory a lot more compelling.

15. As somebody who drove in the early days of the IRL, he can tell us just how far Indy cars have advanced in the last fifteen years.

14. Because it would make his hero proud. That’s A.J. Foyt, if you didn’t know.

13. Did I mention how rarely opportunities comes along to drive for Penske at Indianapolis? Or anywhere else, for that matter?

12. Because it will have been twelve years since his last Indy 500 start (6th place driving for Ganassi Racing in 2001).

11. To try to notch up 1,100 miles of racing in a single day, like he did in 2001 when he finished sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte.

10. To give David Letterman material for a Top Ten list. Or a reason to be invited back to The Late Show.

9. So he can experience Indy’s ‘Fast Nine’ Pole Day format for the first time.

8. To re-live the thrill of moonlighting on his boss, something he hasn’t been able to do since he became the owner of Stewart-Haas Racing in NASCAR.

7. Because he loves to drive anything with wheels, anytime, anywhere.

6. A Penske tradition, it’s the number he would probably run at Indy.

5. Driving for Penske would give Stewart an excellent chance to improve on his career best Indy 500 finish of 5th place in 1997.

4. To add to his IMS legend, which includes two victories in the Brickyard 400 in 2005 and ‘07.

3. His home of Bartholomew County used to be ‘3’ in the old Indiana license plate numbering system he grew up with.

2. He could drink 2-percent milk in Victory Lane.

And the Number One reason why Tony Stewart should compete in the 2013 Indianapolis 500…

For the fans.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/type/news/51995-33-reasons-why-tony-stewart-should-andquot-do-the-doubleandquot/

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:09 am

There's no doubt that it would be food to have such a big name there but it does smell
Of desperation on the part of IMS.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 am

There’s no doubt that IMS, practically IndyCar itself is trying to boost the Indy 500 even further. Desperation? Ordinarily, yes. However, the connection is quite apparent. Stewart’s life-long ambition is to win the Indy 500, its his home track, he’s raced in the Indy 500 before, and now somebody is offering him a real chance to win.

It connects up, but yes, you wouldn’t get NASCAR campaigning for someone to enter any of their races, because all of the marketable drivers already race in NASCAR.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:43 pm

If some early indications are proved correct, Sky Sports may no longer show IndyCar in 2013: http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/the-status-of-indycars-uk-broadcasting-rights/

Keith Huewen, who presented Sky’s IndyCar coverage didn’t seem so hopeful on Twitter, either.

No wonder the viewing figures were so low, I’ve never seen Sky advertise or promote IndyCar racing. Before they started showing F1, Sky wasn’t really interested in motorsports – so it’s not surprising that IndyCar has struggled on Sky.

Considering that it’s not possible to only purchase the F1 channel, for me, IndyCar sweetens the deal. If I have to pay for other channels, I want those channels to be filled with worthwhile content.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:22 am

Indycar viewing figures are lower than gp2 and gp3 qualifying.

The question is where it will end up.

Eurosport?
Motortv?
ITV4 has been mentioned

seem the best options but arn't necessarily more likely that espn or premier though.

I think the bbc is the right place for it though. Its cheap (very) and should get decend viewer ship if advertised right.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:44 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
Indycar viewing figures are lower than gp2 and gp3 qualifying.

That’s true; those comparisons are in the link. However, I would argue that because the F1 channel is promoted and IndyCar never was, it was always gonna be slam dunk for GP2/3 on Sky F1.

I don’t trust Eurosport. They promote their racing better than Sky does, but my concern would always be scheduling. They were sometimes late with Champ Car and WRC was often appallingly late. Eurosport simply show too much sport, and don’t seem to manage it very effectively.

Motors TV would be an interesting choice. I wish that Motors would sort out their dreadful sound and picture quality – but it’s an option.

ITV4 would be excellent, as it can be viewed on freeview, therefore the profile of IndyCar would increase. However, do ITV want more motorsport? I fear they are content with BTCC and that support package, which in fairness they cover very well.

The BBC would be a fabulous choice; the viewing rights must be very cheap considering low viewing figures in the UK. Sadly, I don’t see the BBC showing IndyCar. They’ve rarely been interested in minority motorsports – F1 and Moto GP is about the limit for the Beeb.

ESPN – no thanks. I like IndyCar a lot, but I wouldn’t pay for a sole channel that is essentially all about football and other crap. However, it isn’t impossible. A number of IndyCar races are shown by ABC in America, so perhaps IndyCar could be shown on ESPN – but I’d be disappointed.

Premier Sports is too busy with NASCAR Cup, and now even the Truck Series. There is no space for IndyCar on Premier.

To make the prospects of UK coverage even trickier; any broadcaster would have to be even more committed with the split races on Saturday and Sunday. To minimise cost, any potential broadcaster should simply use the American feed – Sky’s studio was shit – it added nothing and was wasteful.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:46 am

IndyCar 2013 updates:

IndyCar is running two separate races at Belle Isle, Toronto and Houston; and the first races on Saturday’s will feature standing starts. Details of this in the article: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-series-outlines-doubleheader-rules/

I’m looking forward to this, where possible standing starts definitely make the racing more exciting and build anticipation.

IndyCar has also announced the starting times for each race in 2013. In a bid to avoid races becoming fuel-mileage parades, the officials have added and reduced the number of laps at some circuits: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-series-adjusts-four-race-lengths-tightens-tv-broadcast-times/

I’m surprised that Milwaukee’s race distance has increased by 25 laps, it rarely turns into a fuel-mileage race given the short layout of the track and relatively frequent cautions. As for road courses, increasing the distance at Sonoma seemed to eliminate fuel mileage tactics last year – but the racing was still deeply snoozy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indycar 2013 Calendar   

Back to top Go down

Indycar 2013 Calendar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next