HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

If You Think Driving On An Oval Is Easy Youíre An Idiot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: If You Think Driving On An Oval Is Easy Youíre An Idiot   Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:24 am

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: If You Think Driving On An Oval Is Easy Youíre An Idiot   Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

Thatís a great article by Lloyd. Iíd like to correct one thing, though:
Quote :
ďAnd downforce regulations in place today after the tragic loss of Dan Wheldon mean there are few flat-out tracks left on the schedule, making the whole scenario that much harder.Ē

No track is flat out anymore, even Fontana with its more generous radius wasnít flat out, Texas with its high banking wasnít wide open either.

Iíve really come to appreciate the challenge of ovals. The precision, accuracy needed isnít like anything else. A lot of ovals are multi-grooved, too, so drivers have to run different lines to be fast, and make sure they donít spin out with the side force.

NASCAR v IndyCar is interesting. A stock car is a lot more powerful and heavy; its tyres will fall off a lot faster. On the other hand, an IndyCar looks to be on a constant knife-edge, and the balance shift is like lightening, a stock car may progressively slide Ė but thereís no such thing in an IndyCar (just ask Will Power).

My favourite ovals are short tracks, though. Martinsville, New Hampshire, Bristol, Iowa, Phoenix, Richmond etc. The racing tends to be closer, and aero turbulence is non-existent at such speeds. Indianapolis and Pocono are superb too, if I could single out my favourite big ovals.

IMO, drivers can make more mistakes in road racing and get away with it. Itís more predictable and controlled. I love both, though.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk

If You Think Driving On An Oval Is Easy Youíre An Idiot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1