Share | 

RIP Sid Watkins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: RIP Sid Watkins    Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:08 am

The family of Sid Watkins has extended its thanks to all those who have paid tribute to the former Formula One doctor, who died in London Wednesday evening.

In a short statement, the family confirmed that, following a private funeral, there will be a memorial service in London.

Quote :
The Watkins family statement said: “Professor Sid Watkins, Formula One doctor and leading neurosurgeon, died peacefully in a London hospital last night aged 84 after a short illness. His family would like to thank everyone for the many messages of support and the touching tributes from the world of motor racing, medicine and beyond.

There will be a private family funeral in Scotland followed by a memorial service in London in the coming months, details of which will be announced shortly.”

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-sid-watkins-formula-one-tributes-pour-in/

What a crying shame, the medical facilities that we now take for granted at race tracks have mostly been due to Watkins relentless work. Not to mention the drivers he literally saved.

RIP Sid Watkins – true innovator and life saver.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sid Watkins    Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:20 am

A hero and someone who saved the lives of just about everyone racing at the top level.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sid Watkins    Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm

just comne back from hols and seen this, RIP Sid Watkins, so much contribution to motorsport safety.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sid Watkins    Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 am

Very sad to hear about Sid's passing. Neutral A humble man, yet fully devoted to the cause.

From Jackie Stewart:

Quote :
"From my point of view I know how difficult it was to create change with all the hassle I went through. There was at least some recognition that something had to be done when I'd finished.

"Sid took it right to where it is today with incredible firmness sometimes. He didn't suffer fools gladly. He would put his foot down. Everybody respected Sid."

"He was responsible for more life saving than anyone else, certainly since my day, and he carried it off with the FIA to the point that the governing body then saw the necessity to have Sid permanently. That was influenced heavily by both Bernie [Ecclestone] and Max [Mosley].

"A lot of people are going to miss Sid Watkins. He was at the British Grand Prix, in the paddock, and there was nobody who was negative about him. Like all of us he upset a few folks but it had to be done.

"He wasn't doing it for personal gratification or anything else. He was a genuine man."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sid Watkins    

Back to top Go down

RIP Sid Watkins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1