Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 am

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 am

funnily enough, i'd had the same thought, after the events at the weekend, and said the same to someone at work before i saw this posting
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:20 am

I would be surprised if this really happened.

Quote :
"Fuller is trying to position Hamilton as a major global star, like Beckham, and Mercedes is a much bigger global brand than McLaren".

WTF? This isnít the X Factor, the glitziest name wonít get Hamilton results, Fuller may as well entice Coca Cola into F1, run by HRT whilst heís at it. Donít worry, Coca Cola is a big global brand!

I wonder if there is any correlation between Raikkonen, DC and Alonso all leaving McLaren. They do have amazing resources and results, but in terms of stringing a whole championship together, they often shoot themselves in the foot. Too often, you do wonder ďwhy did they do that?Ē

Maybe its not my place to judge, but in some ways, with the cars that McLaren churn out, itís even worse that they havenít won more championships. Lewis would be a big loss to the team. Yes, he moans, bitches and sometimes acts like a brat. But fundamentally, he is relentlessly bloody fast; that I think only Alonso or Vettel can match or beat.

Di Resta could be a great replacement, but whether he could replace Lewisí killer speed, remains to be seen.

Mercedes have potential to win titles, but, I would worry about their long-term commitment to wholly owning the team.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 am

at the end of 1989 mclaren should have fired senna and kept prost and at the end of 2007 mclaren should have kept alonso and fired Hamilton...

they didn't hence the mess that has followed both.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:48 am

I think that's tricky to judge. Alonso went back to Renault, and struggled because the cars were mostly wheel spinning bags of crap. He can make the difference, but that has its limits.

Hamilton matched Alonso in most circumstances that year, ditching a talent like that may have been difficult, especially with the investment in him.

Being at Mercedes might have its benefit in 2014. 2014 is likely to be a return to the days where engines are a dominant force, and other technical trickery will be introduced too. Mercedes has vast R&D, technical know-how and finance, which will be important for 2014 onwards.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am

hamilton is talented but flakey, whats is he done since the world title. He's won a couple of races, had quite a few crashes, proclaimed is it because i's black and generally not won anything. Where Alonso nearly won the 2010 world title, leads the championship in a ferrari that was about the 5th best car at the start of the year.

I maintain if Mclaren had backed Alonso and not Hamilton at Hungary 2007, alonso would have been champion and would have won more since for them.
Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 pm

I'v said for a few years he should move on but he seems to have improved the in areas where he had been weak in the past but now it seems he has some trust issues. It would be interesting to see him at another team but I don't think Merc would be the right choice, major manufacturers have a very poor record. He should try a Renault or maybe even Williams drive where he could enjoy himself and still won races possibly a championship if those teams continue to improve. Vettel will probably leave Redbull one day and he could take that seat if he still stands out in one of those teams.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:05 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
He's won a couple of races, had quite a few crashes, proclaimed is it because i's black and generally not won anything.

I donít think heís blamed the wrecks on being black. Laughing

In a way, it doesnít really matter what Hamilton has done since 2008, because he hasnít had the car to compete for a world championship. This year, he might have the best chance since 2008. Alonso did have an excellent car in 2010, on par with Red Bull, he made the difference in that car Ė but the car was pretty good too.

If someone like Di Resta doesnít join McLaren (assuming Hamilton leaves), I would worry where theyíll get their raw speed from. Button has occasional mastery, but itís too occasional and doesnít have the raw speed and adaptability to fight for another title. Too often he finds it difficult to drive around balance imperfections. Button is great, but they need that speed that only Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel can drag out (imo).

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 am

Yeah, not many drivers really stand out for raw speed, Grosjean and Maldonado can both be very quick but come with issues, I'm sure Grosjean will iron out most of his in time though. They could do with keeping him at least another year.
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 am

I think Hamilton is going nowhere, every drivers management team will have spoken to Mercedes to see if there is a place for their driver next season, it's all about Hamilton's management team trying to get a better deal out of McLare

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:26 am

Grosjean has shown to be very good this year, I agree. Some people like to have someone to bitch at; people should lay off the guy. Grosjean has been too messy, but so have other drivers and I donít see them getting banned. Maldonado deliberately wrecked someone, with direct intent, but didnít get banned.

Oddly, I remember Grosjean being one of the more reliable, composed and consistent drivers in GP2. Whether the pressure cooker that is F1 has been effecting his judgment, who knows.

2014 may return to those days of engines being a dominant factor. Thereís going to be so many unknowns for 2014, being in a team with factory engines could be critical in 2014. This is the only benefit of joining Mercedes-Benz for Lewis, in my opinion.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 am

The Hamilton to Mercedes rumours persist:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/09/hamilton-set-to-move-to-mercedes/

I just think he would be making a colossal mistake; Simon Fuller and XIX Entertainment have spectacularly missed the point of motor racing. Lewis is well known because of the results heís achieved on-track, and the McLaren machinery is a huge part of that.

If Mercedes cannot provide him with the car to win, heíll wither away and not be in the limelight anymore.

XIX Entertainment is good for the X Factor, but really shouldnít be advising a racing driver on matters they have no clue about.

Lewis needs to compromise. He strikes me as a person who settles for nothing but winning. I hope he wonít sacrifice results on the track for PR, media appearances and bloated pay. Loyalty should mean something, and itís not like McLaren produce crap cars or pay badly.

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am

I don't think he will leave McLaren.

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton to Mercedes says someone   

Back to top Go down

Hamilton to Mercedes says someone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1