HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Formula E electric car racing series is launched

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:01 am

Quote :
Circuits around the world regularly echo to the earsplitting howl of racing V10s and V12s at full throttle. But perhaps, not for much longer.

Motorsport's governing body, the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile, or FIA, has announced plans for a brand new motor racing series, designed exclusively for electric cars.

The new championship, known as Formula E, is due to begin in 2014.

Manufacturers are being invited to design and build their own cars, which will race on city-centre circuits around the world.
It will be run by Formula E Holdings, a consortium of investors led by the Spanish billionaire Enrique Banuelos, who made his fortune in real estate and agribusiness.

The FIA says it represents "a vision for the future of the motor industry over the coming decades".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19402383

This seems odd, but it could be that this FIA electric racing series is too far ahead of its time. Something that harms the sales of electric vehicles is how efficient internal combustion cars are becoming. I think that Europe would ordinarily be more open towards alternative sources of energy, but the high cost of electric vehicles, the economic downturn and average running costs is ruling them out.

There is a lot of development still left in petrol motors in particular. With how globalised the car industry is coming, petrol will be favoured because there isnít a market which doesnít like it. Diesel is automatically ruled out in USA and Asia, not to mention high development costs (EU environmental crap), and electric doesnít have the coverage, convenience or affordability that owners need.

People can sugar coat it all they want, but noise does matter immensely. From the howl of an F1 motor, to the heavy-chested bark of a GM V8 or the loveliness of an Aston V12 Ė noise is emotion and has the wow factor. Quite often, the speed of a car is not important if it sounds tremendous.

In this tough world of selling tickets, race promoters need all they can to entice spectators. Taking the aural thrill of a noisy race car makes that harder. Give people unique reasons to attend a race, not hearing a noise akin to a Nissan Leaf.

The vision of motor racing? Well, with petrol motors getting better every day, and biofuel production becoming less harmful, Iím not so sureÖ

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 am

it's pointless, stupid and will be a money pit that should never happen.

to make electric cars interesting you have to have them race against real cars. At Le mans.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 am

Not sure what constitutes as a ďreal carĒ, I donít see many carbonfibre prototypes roaming the streets.

Electric cars will struggle to be exciting in motor racing. Motor racing is a competition first and foremost, but itís also a spectacle which cannot be seen anywhere else. Take out the dazzling sound and sheer noise, and one important USP gets taken away.

Iím not sure people really want race cars to resemble what they see on the road, with purpose-built machinery. I donít see where the spectator demand is coming from.

This obsession with resembling mass production vehicles is a fruitless exercise in my opinion. Personally, I love adore the noise and sound of petrol cars; itís a big part of what makes racing. There needs to be a point at which the road car scene stops influencing motor racing.

If we really want to talk about relevance, the internal combustion engine is ruling, has a lot of development left and even might have different energy sources.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 am

My opion is 180 degrees opposite, Motorsport should be more relevant.

Le mans was setup to prove that cars worked and could go for 24 hours it's changed since then but not completely.

That said the deltawing is currently a massive draw and people want to see it race, so I could be wrong..
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 am

Nobody drives a car on the road for 24 hours, though. Advances in mechanical, electrical reliability and built quality in road cars has not come from motor racing.

Purpose-built carbon fibre prototypes will never be road relevant, just by their very construction and purpose. And, the bits that are road relevant are boring. Traction control and other driver aids are now in every road car, but does that make motorsport more exciting?
If one truly wanted road relevance, production-based Touring and GT cars are the only cars which have connections to street cars. Even then, competition cars are so extensively modified; I wonder where the actual technical transfer is.

Road relevance is a dangerous area, imo. It lets car manufacturers influence rules, which may or may not be in the best interests of competition or racing.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:31 am

This is a tricky on I was playing about with Forza the other night and decided to tune my Leaf Laughing (How weird does that sound) but as I was racing it and winning it made me wonder is this actually the future? And to me it seems to be Audi are running that E-tron at Le Mans and Nissan run that Delta wing, SIR says about road relivence but think about it for a min, if they want to enhance battery milage in these Z.E cars then why not race them in Le Mans if they can make it run for 24 hours solid without charge that technology will then be transfered into the road cars possibly of the future, ok they don't make a noise (the Twizy does its a horrendous beep Laughing i've heard it when our Z.E trained technition PDIed it for showroom) but whats learned in racing particually with these Z.E cars will benefit us as consumers and possibly make us think about buying one, but think some of the cost has to be brought down a bit though, the Vauxhall one is awfully expensive the Renault ones will be interessting but as i've found out someone has actually bought a Leaf from our dealership and they have to be restricted before going out to customers otherwise they are faster than a Nissan GT-R off the line and if you smash one its treated as hazzadous waste due to the batterys

Anyway its an interessting one and no doubt we'll see what the future of motorsport is in the coming years
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:32 am

French Fancy wrote:
This is a tricky on I was playing about with Forza the other night and decided to tune my Leaf Laughing (How weird does that sound) but as I was racing it and winning it made me wonder is this actually the future? And to me it seems to be Audi are running that E-tron at Le Mans and Nissan run that Delta wing, SIR says about road relivence but think about it for a min, if they want to enhance battery milage in these Z.E cars then why not race them in Le Mans if they can make it run for 24 hours solid without charge that technology will then be transfered into the road cars possibly of the future, ok they don't make a noise (the Twizy does its a horrendous beep Laughing i've heard it when our Z.E trained technition PDIed it for showroom) but whats learned in racing particually with these Z.E cars will benefit us as consumers and possibly make us think about buying one, but think some of the cost has to be brought down a bit though, the Vauxhall one is awfully expensive the Renault ones will be interessting but as i've found out someone has actually bought a Leaf from our dealership and they have to be restricted before going out to customers otherwise they are faster than a Nissan GT-R off the line and if you smash one its treated as hazzadous waste due to the batterys

Anyway its an interessting one and no doubt we'll see what the future of motorsport is in the coming years

winner

Did anyone see the Gordan Murray (I think it's called Project 27 at the moment) on Fifth gear (Now on Discovery) on Monday. It's all electric and at the moment the price is project to be 15k and electric certainly has the be a consideration for the future of motoring. More electric cars at the bottom end might just mean more V12's at the top. But they have to race them and Le Mans is the perfect place.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 am

Iím still deeply sceptical of fully electric power for production vehicles. Itís funny how a few years make a difference. A few years back when the global economy was good and the environment received more attention, electric technologies were gaining acceptance and a break through might have been coming in motoring. The global financial crisis has made consumers prioritise, and buying hideously expensive and unreliable alternatively fuelled cars is not high on peopleís lists.

In a way, car manufactures are also responsible for consumers being lukewarm to electric cars. Why buy an electric car when petrol and diesel is getting more economical and eco-friendly year-by-year? The constant improvements in the internal combustion motor are undermining alternative-fuelled cars. They offer superb economy for thousands less.

Electric car sales have plummeted in most major markets, despite the facilities have improved and state incentives are offered.

Motor racing for me is not just racing; itís a theatre, an occasion and an event. Silent cars utterly spoil this sensation. Whatís good for car makers and the auto industry are not necessarily beneficial for the traditions and thrill of motor racing.

I still donít see the relevance of electric racing to road cars, the parameters are totally different. More relevant is testing batteries in extreme weather conditions, for example, so that vehicles can be rolled out globally. Electric cars need to be tested in real-world roads and traffic levels, not racing circuits.

Gordon Murrayís T127 has been in development for years it seems; where is it? Murray seems to have loads of concepts without much reality at the moment. Thatís not to insult him, heís a brilliant designer, itís just his creations always seem to be prototypes since the McLaren F1.

I am perhaps a luddite when it comes to alternative energy in motorsport and cars, but Iím not terribly convinced by the arguments of electric road cars, and especially electric motorsport.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Some of the eu and us emissions targets bullshit means the pagani has turbos to gets its emissions down. It's nonsense but... If more people had electric cars maybe they wouldn't notice so nice v12 whaling again.

But battery's are a bad idea

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm

But the new Pagani still sounds utterly delicious, though. The 6.0 turbo unit from AMG sounds like its NA. There isnít twittering from the turbos, just a classic V12 wail. Itís not true that Pagani had to use a turbo unit to necessarily get emissions down. Pagani is restricted to what AMG does, but letís be frank, their 6.0 V12 still sounds heavenly.

Perhaps the motor industry will change again, but the desire for alternatively powered cars seems to be declining. The development of the IC engine is undermining electric power. Petrol and diesel is going further than ever before, and will continue to go further on a tank, along with better performance and low emissions.

Diesel will probably become too expensive to develop in order to meet future EU regs. Petrol will remain for a very long time, the latest tiny 3 cylinder petrol motors from Ford and BMW just scratch the surface for efficiency.

Even with big petrol units, a 5.5 V8 with 195 CO2 would have been unimaginable a few years ago. Now, itís a reality with the Mercedes SLK 55 AMG.

Electric power will be developed in real world conditions; weather conditions, traffic conditions, driving styles etc. Motor racing will not be a test bed in this sense, and I donít see how consumers would benefit from electric cars in motorsport.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Formula E electric car racing series is launched   

Back to top Go down

Formula E electric car racing series is launched
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1