HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 am

FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2012

To one classic venue to another, Germany kicks off consecutive Grand’s Prix at the Hockenheimring for the Formula 1 Grosser Preis Santander Von Deutschland 2012. Germany hosts the tenth round of the 2012 FIA Formula 1 World Championship.

From Britain to Germany, the latter is another classic Grand Prix country that has an extensive Formula 1 history, racing on some legendary circuits such as the original Nurburgring and the original Hockenheimring. The first German GP was held in 1926 on the AVUS track in Berlin, which illustrates the long history of this event and the GP at the Hockenheimring took place in 1970. Germany had a hero to cheer for in Michael Schumacher for years, the demand for F1 was so great that two GP’s were held in Germany between the Hockenheimring and Nurburgring. With a famous German manufacture and two German World Champions on the grid, the local spectators have much to cheer for this weekend.

Although the modified Hockenheimring has perhaps lost some of the old circuit’s distinctive features. In return, the circuit is a lot more fan-friendly because spectators can visit most corners at the circuit – which was not the case with the previous blast through the forest with very few spectators allowed into the forest section. The current Hockenheim is not exactly the most inspiring layout on the F1 calendar, but for overtaking this is a brilliant as there is a lot of heavy braking into tight corners from high speeds.

With no one team or driver dominating Formula 1 in 2012, and surprise GP winners, podium finishers and points scorers – the Hockenheim could well just continue this trend.

Overtaking opportunities

The Hockenheimring only has three high speed corners, which are turns 1 and 12. Apart from that, the circuit consists of slow corners leading onto long straights which makes overtaking a real possibility at the Hockenheimring – because cars behind don’t get too disturbed by the dirty air as drivers exit the slow corners. Turn 1 is a possible passing opportunity, but mainly only at the start. The entry to the corner is very fast, so an opponent will rely on catching his rival unawares, rather than it being a frequent place for passing.

Turn 2 represents the first realistic opportunity to pass, the drivers will build up to over 190 mph before braking to just 57 mph for the tight turn 2. This is a heavy braking zone with a very wide entry and the corner has a wide exit, which promotes overtaking and battling through turns 2 and 3 - as has been seen many times since 2002. Next up is the Parabolika, which is a full throttle section and drivers will reach 205 mph before braking to just 36 mph for the Spitz hairpin, turn 6. This is a huge braking zone, in fact one of the biggest braking zones on the entire F1 schedule. This is arguably the best place to overtake on the whole circuit, the tarmac run off area around the outside of turn 6 allows a driver to battle with his opponent wheel-to-wheel in the corner and on the exit of the corner. DRS along the Parabolika will aid an already excellent place for passing.

The cars then ahead to the Mercedes-Benz arena and build up to around 186 mph for turn 8 and stop to just 59 mph. Not only is this another corner which has long braking distances, but, drivers often exit turn 6 side-by-side, and carry on their duel into turn 8, where they try and out-brake each other. From turn 4 until turn 8 is a brilliant section for overtaking due to a wide track width, and corners that encourage passing. The next overtaking opportunity comes at turn 12, the Mobil 1 curve. The cars will build up to 185 mph before braking for turn 12, it is a very high speed corner and we often see drivers running wide into the gravel here. Overtaking is possible if a driver gets a poor exit of turn 10, and then an opponent can switch to the inside of the track for the optimum line into turn 12. In general, the Hockenheimring is one of the best circuits for overtaking – and past races at the venue have proven this

What to watch for

With Hockenheim’s Parabolika being so long, some teams may elect for a slippery car to gain a competitive advantage, if they don’t have the overall downforce to compete with faster cars. With DRS being introduced to Hockenheim, all teams will have to factor in straight-line performance to avoid being mugged on the long back straightaway.

Car requirements

Unlike Silverstone, ultimate downforce is not essential at Hockenheim. The circuit only has two high speed corners, and the rest are medium to low speed corners. This means traction and drivability off corners is very important, to ensure the least amount of wheel spin as possible. Engine mapping can play an important role in containing that 750 + horsepower. This race is usually hot, so traction will be even more important. Stability under braking is also very important, as there are a number of corners from high speeds which lead into tight bends.

Straight line speed is a factor, principally because of the long, wide open Parabolika section. Teams will want to ensure they aren’t too susceptible to DRS-assisted passes. There are other high speed sections which also mean top speeds cannot be ignored, like at other circuits.

Tyre selections

Pirelli will bring their Soft and Medium compound P Zero tyres to Hockenheim. The graphic below shows Pirelli’s 2012 range of P Zero tyres and their respective markings:

Video footage

Here is a flying lap of Hockenheim with Sebastian Vettel, driving his Red Bull-Renault to pole position for the 2010 German Grand prix:

Weekend schedule in UK time:

Fri 20 July 2012

Friday Practice 1 09:00 – 10:30
Friday Practice 2 13:00 – 14:30

Sat 21 July 2012

Saturday Practice 10:00 – 11:00
Qualifying 13:00

Sun 22 July 2012

Start of Formation Lap 13:00
2012 British Grand Prix Race Start 13:03*

Full weekend schedule in local time

Thursday 19th July:

Formula One Press Conference - Press Room 15:00

Friday 20th July:

Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 08:45 – 09:45
Formula One Practice 1 10:00 – 11:30
GP2 Practice Session 12:00 – 12:30
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 12:45 – 13:45
Formula One Practice 2 14:00 – 15:30
GP2 Qualifying Session 15:50 – 16:20
Formula One Press Conference - Press Room 16:00 – 17:00
Porsche MOBIL 1 Supercup Practice Session 16:45 – 17:30
GP3 Practice Session 17:50 – 18:35

Saturday 21st July

Formula One Pit Stop Practice 08:30 – 09:15
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 08:30 – 09:35
GP3 Qualifying Session 09:45 – 10:15
Formula One Practice 3 10:00 – 12:00
Porsche MOBIL 1 Supercup Qualifying 12:25 – 12:55
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 13:00 – 13:45
Formula One Qualifying 13:00
GP2 First Race (38 Laps or 60 Mins) 15:40 – 16:45
GP3 First Race (18 Laps or 30 Mins) 17:20 – 17:55

Sunday 22nd July

GP3 Second Race (18 Laps or 30 Mins) 09:25 – 10:00
GP2 Second Race (27 Laps or 45 Mins) 10:35 – 11:25
Porsche MOBIL 1 Supercup Race (14 Laps or 30 Mins) 11:45 – 12:20
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 12:25 – 13:15
Formula One Drivers Parade 13:30
Formula One Starting Grid Presentation 13:45 – 13:15
Formula One National Anthem 13:46
Start of Formula One Formation Lap 14:00
Start of 2012 Formula One German Grand Prix 14:03*

* Based on the time period between the start of formation lap and actual race start in the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

UK Television schedules – BST time

In addition to Sky’s live coverage of the German Grand Prix, the BBC is showing extended highlights of both qualifying, and the 67 lap Grand Prix. Times of the TV coverage can be seen below:

Friday 20th July

Sky Sports F1 Coverage

Practice One: 08:45 am
Practice Two: 12.45 pm

Saturday 21st July

BBC Coverage

Qualifying highlights: 1730-1845, BBC One/BBC HD

Sky Sports F1 Coverage

Practice Three: 09:45 am
Qualifying: 12:30 pm

Sunday 22nd July

BBC Coverage

Race highlights: 1730-1900, BBC Two/BBC HD

Sky Sports F1 Coverage

Race: 11.30 am

Live timing and scoring is available for every session at http://www.formula1.com/ Registration is required to view live timing. If you wish to watch this Grand Prix outside the UK, please check your local listings.

Previous winners of German Grand Prix

2004 – Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2005 – Fernando Alonso – Renault
2006 – Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2008 – Lewis Hamilton – McLaren-Mercedes Benz
2009 – Mark Webber – Red Bull-Renault
2010 – Fernando Alonso – Ferrari
2011 – Lewis Hamilton – McLaren-Mercedes Benz

Enjoy the Grand Prix!

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 pm

I still miss the old Hockenheim Sad
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 am

I very much agree with you, the old circuit was so unique in the sense of it being a pure horsepower, low downforce track. They ran even lower downforce levels than they do at Monza.

The current layout isn’t inspiring in anyway, however, the revised circuit has produced really good racing since 2002. The back straightaway, hairpin then turn 8 is a bit too ready-made – but that’s produced some fabulous racing in F1 and DTM. I think the racing is so good, that DRS won’t be needed down the Parabolika. There will be enough natural drafting. The tyres naturally bring cars close together now.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:47 am

Worryingly, Pirelli is potentially contemplating running a harder tyre with a wider operating window:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101249

This cannot be right, if the hard tyre can last for 20 laps then it’s hard enough. Make the hard compound too durable and you get the Bridgestone problem: tyres don’t fall off enough, and there’s no significant differentiator in speeds. These tricky tyres are creating different speeds – Pirelli should stick to its guns.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 pm

will catch highlights when there on. final WTS Triathlon before the Olympics is on this weekend!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Alonso and the Ferrari looks so well hooked up in the wet, the car really seems to excel in those damp to wet conditions. I think the race is pretty open for anybody in the top ten. The DRS zone will ensure passing can be done quickly, and I suspect that a driver like Lewis has a fast car in the dry. Hulkenberg did amazingly well to qualify where he did.

Red Bull have been referred to the stewards, after the FIA believe they were using irregular engine mapping: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101403
This is not the first time that RBR has had issues with engine mapping. Last year they were running a special setting for Q3, which got banned. The FIA haven’t milked their words at all, they fully believe RBR has reached regulations.

I suppose now all cars have a standardised ECU, it’s pretty easy to see any irregular torque characteristics. Now, what will be the consequences…

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:32 pm

it depends, in 1994 the benettons traction controlhad a suiside execute in it. So every time the stewards checked the engine it was clean. In my opion they shouldn't even have a choice of map. You get one and have to live with it.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 am

1994 is a very good example, but back then there was no tamper proof, standardised ECU in place. ECU technology is now much better developed and understood, and untoward advantages are hard to gain with it.

It sounds like to me that Red Bull have done wrongdoing, it’s just there isn’t a rule to penalise them.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:45 am

I thought that was a storming Grand Prix, with plenty of dicey battles. Alonso drove a masterful race, pacing every lap without getting flummoxed or giving into pressure. It seems Alonso gets more complete with every GP he drives.

10 year old, baby Vettel is spitting out his dummy: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101413

Ohhh, poor baby Vettel, I just feel so sorry for the little darling. Perish the thought, somebody tried to race you – how terrible! Well, if I rewind back to Brazil 2008, I remember a certain somebody trying to interfere in the championship battle by racing Lewis very hard. Well, now you’ve been paid back.

Alonso was just unbeatable today; Vettel might delude himself that Hamilton hindered him passing Alonso, but Nando was just flat unbeatable – the end.

Oh, and what the neck was that move by baby Vettel on lap 66??? Red Bull and baby Vettel do speak some serious bullshit, who are they convincing? Christian Horner was hopeless at trying to pontificate that Vettel was ahead. So what? Your driver left the race track to pass, when Button simply drove his racing line.

I am getting up when Red Bull try to treat everyone like they’re stupid.

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 am

It was an interesting race but fell a little short at the end. Thought they should have put the saftey car out when Massa lost his front wing, feel saftey is being taken for granted lately what with the Marshals at

I think Vettel will see things differently once he watches the race back in regard to Hamilton. My problem with giving Vettel a penalty for passing Button is this move was allowed in the passed.

Compared with

I don't really see the difference
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:09 am

I preferred the old track Sad

Not much happening this race i felt, Vettel did go all the way off the track when making the pass past Button, he was not in-front of Button before he went off so he has to get a penalty imo.

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 am

I’ve never understood the argument that if a driver is in front, they have a right to venture off the track to pass. My understanding is that a car must have at least two wheels on the track (clearly defined by the white line) to make a pass, if everyone went by Red Bull’s theory, nobody would ever bother to properly exit corners, they’d just charge the entry and use run off to overtake.

For that first video, there is a subtle difference. Trulli deliberately runs Schumacher off the track, by taking an unnaturally wide line. Button was actually very fair, and simply drove his racing line. But even then, Vettel decided to cheat and use the run off. Vettel may have had a stronger case if Button drove like Trulli, but it’s utterly indefensible when someone actually drives his standard lines. I’m not saying what Schumi did was legitimate, that should have been punished too, but with Vettel’s case, nobody forced him to end up on the run off.

Also, Vettel frequently ran off the track at the MOBIL 1 Curve and on the exit of turn 1. It was a joke the number of times he went off at both corners. The stewards were strict with the junior drivers, but seemed to turn a blind eye with the F1 drivers.

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am

Yeah I think both deserved to be put back behind, they say the stewards don't have time to act but its a fairly open and shut case. I don't think Vettel will be too surprised to get a penalty for it, if he were not so far back from Alonso in the championship then I doubt he'd of risked hanging onto the position.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 am

I think there might be some truth in that, the way that Vettel frequently went off the track suggested he was going all out and not trying to be cautious in anyway. Still, I don’t like the way he repeatedly used the run off area. There is pushing, then there’s pushing because you have run off to use.

Alonso is just sublime at the moment, the car is clearly working better, but having Alonso behind the wheel is a huge advantage with his judgment and adaptability – he can make the difference in a race car.

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 am

Why both ?

Button didn't do anything.

Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 am

Hey Al, I mean Schumacher in that off track overtake incident on Trull and Vettel in his this weekend. Jenson certainly did nothing wrong, glad to see him back up near the front again.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:17 am

I agree, Vettel would have had a stronger argument if Button had edged him off the circuit, but he didn’t. Vettel got back to the throttle earlier because he had that run off to use. I also took issue with Vettel severely blocking Schumacher after the hairpin on the opening lap, at that speed impeding another car like that is ridiculous.

Even before the Button deal, Vettel should have been peanlised for blocking Schumacher. Schumacher had a run on Vettel, and they were going way too quickly to block.

In general, Vettel drove like a complete dick throughout the race.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM   

Back to top Go down

F1 - 2012 GERMAN GRAND PRIX - HOCKENHEIM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1