HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:07 am

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2012

After the tight confines of Monaco, Formula 1 heads to the first North American destination of the calendar in Montreal, Canada for the Formula 1 Grand Prix Du Canada 2012. The Circuit-Gilles Villeneuve hosts the seventh round of the 2012 FIA Formula 1 World Championship.

The Formula One Canadian Grand Prix was held at a number of circuits since the first race in 1961. However, the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve hosted the Canadian GP for 30 consecutive years up until 2008. The circuit is named after the late Gilles Villeneuve who tragically died in a racing accident. This manmade island was specifically created for Formula 1 racing initially; however, the circuit has hosted Champ Car races, lower-division NASCAR races and Grand-Am races over the years.

The Canadian Grand Prix is easily one of the most popular races on the calendar; there has been a sell-out crowd for years now with over 100,000 fans on race day – which shows the local residents passion for Formula 1 and motor racing. The circuit’s unforgiving walls and plentiful overtaking opportunities often make this a very unpredictable and chaotic race. Which ensures that the Canadian Grand Prix is not only always a brilliant motor race, but the race is greatly welcomed by race fans.

2012 has already seen a lot of brilliant motor racing, with a record six different winning drivers in the first seven Grand’s Prix. Combined with the quality of racing at Montreal, Sunday evening could provide us with a thrilling Grand Prix.

Canadian Grand Prix fast facts

-Driving direction: Clockwise
-Length of pit straight: 0.31 mile
-Average speed of lap: 124 mph
-Longest period at full throttle: 14 seconds
-Full throttle percentage: 65 %
-Time on brakes: 16 %
-Gear changes per lap: 60
-Highest g-force: 3.6 g
--Total race distance: 189 miles

Overtaking opportunities

Whereas Monaco was the hardest track on which to overtake on, Montreal perhaps offers the best passing opportunities of any circuit. The lap itself is one of the shortest on the calendar, but, the long straightaways followed by heavy braking into tight chicanes is the reason why overtaking is plentiful here.

Turn 1 is the first overtaking opportunity. The cars build up to approximately 185 mph before braking to just 84 mph. This is a heavy braking zone that has a wide entry, we usually see this move pulled off if a driver has a poor exit off turn 13 by defending and taking a tight line – allowing a driver behind to take the optimum line through the final chicane and use his extra speed to pass his rival into turn 1. The next passing opportunity comes at turn 8. The drivers will build up to 190 mph and brake to just 74 mph for the chicane. The entry to the corner is relatively narrow, so drivers need to be fully alongside to make this move stick.

The hairpin of turn 10 is good passing place, mainly because of the severe braking to just 34 mph; the variation in braking distances is why overtaking is common here. Now the cars will power down the back straightaway to around over 200 mph before braking to just 83 mph for turn 13. This is the biggest braking zone on the whole circuit, and with the high straightaway speeds compared to the entry speed into turn 13 – it is easy to see why.

After two DRS zones last year, the FIA has elected to have a single DRS zone. As last year, there will be a DRS zone placed on the straightaway between turns 10 and 13 for 600 metres.

What to watch for

The unforgiving walls to the outside of corners, and lack of access for marshals often result in Safety Car periods around Montreal. This likelihood of SC periods may also increase as the GP progresses, with tyre marbles leaving little room for error in the corners.

A soft brake pedal or brake failure is not unheard of around Circuit-Gilles Villeneuve. The frequent heavy braking zones punish the discs and calipers, and if enough cooling is not allowed for the brakes, failure or less braking ability can occur. With downforce cut for good straight-line speed, tyre wear can be high in Montreal. The drivers can’t enjoy the downforce they’re used to, which normally protects the tyres with less sliding.

Car requirements

The Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve is a complete departure in car requirements compared to most of the circuits that we have visited so far this year. In fact, some of the key characteristics can be found at Monza. With a number of straightaways that see the cars exceed 180 mph, good straight line speed is essential at this track – this means that ultimate engine power and efficient aerodynamics are very important. Teams will bring flatter wings, for example – to increase straight line speed. A low downforce package is required, due to long straightaways and lack of high speed sweepers.

This circuit is the most punishing one on brakes that we visit on the calendar; there are five major stops from 180 mph or more into tight chicanes. This means that teams bring bigger cooling ducts for this race, to allow more air to be channeled to the discs and caliper’s so they don’t overheat under intense forces for 70 laps. The low downforce package means there will be less aerodynamic drag under braking, putting more strain on the braking systems. Brake failure can happen in Montreal, and, with 10 % more energy going through the braking systems compared to before the refueling ban (source: Renault – higher base weight limit in 2012 and cars on full tanks of fuel) – conservation of braking systems will be even more critical.

A soft suspension set-up is also required to ride the chicane kerbing, and this will only happen with suspension that is compliant that will not be overly sensitive to movement and will not bottom out – this will give drivers good mechanical grip which is critical for getting good exits onto the long straights.

Tyre selections

Pirelli will bring their Super Soft and Soft compound P Zero tyres to Canada, for maximum grip on this temporary course. The graphic below shows Pirelli’s 2012 range of P Zero tyres and their respective markings:

Video footage

Here is an onboard lap of Circuit-Gilles Villeneuve with Vitantonio Liuzzi, driving his Force India-Mercedes Benz to a sixth starting spot for the 2010 Canadian Grand Prix:

Weekend schedule in UK time:

Fri 08 June 2012

Friday Practice 1 15:00 – 16:30
Friday Practice 2 19:00 – 20:30

Sat 09 June 2012

Saturday Practice 15:00 – 16:00
Qualifying 18:00

Sun 27 May 2012

Start of Formation Lap 19:00
2012 Monaco Grand Prix Race Start 19:03*

Full weekend schedule in local time

Thursday 7th June:

Drivers Autograph Session 09:30 – 11:00
Formula One Press Conference - Press Room 11:00

Friday 8th June:

Formula 1600 Qualifying (30 Mins) 08:10 – 08:40
Ferrari Challenge First Practice Session (20 Mins) 08:50 – 09:10
Formula One Practice 1 10:00 – 11:30
CTCC Practice Session (30 Mins) 11:55 – 12:25
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 12:30 – 13:30
Formula One Practice 2 14:00 – 15:30
Ferrari Challenge Second Practice Session (20 Mins) 15:55 – 16:15
Formula One Press Conference - Press Room 16:00 – 17:00
CTCC Qualifying Session (30 Mins) 16:30 – 17:00
Porsche IMSA GT3 Practice Session Practice Session (30 Mins) 17:15 – 17:45

Saturday 9th June

Formula One Pit Stop Practice 07:30 – 08:30
Ferrari Challenge Qualifying Session 08:45 – 09:15
Formula One Practice 3 10:00 – 11:00
Porsche IMSA GT3 Qualifying Session (30 Mins) 11:15 – 11:45
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 11:50 – 12:45
Formula One Qualifying 13:00
Formula 1600 First Race (30 Mins) 14:30 – 15:00
CTCC First Race (30 Mins) 15:30 – 16:00
Ferrari Challenge First Race (30 Mins) 16:30 – 17:00

Sunday 10th June

CTCC Second Race (30 Mins) 09:00 – 09:30
Porsche IMSA GT3 Race (30 Mins) 09:50 – 10:20
Formula 1600 Second Race (30 Mins) 10:40 – 11:10
Ferrari Challenge Second Race (30 Mins) 11:25 – 11:55
Formula One Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk 12:00 – 13:15
Formula One Drivers Parade 12:30
Formula One Starting Grid Presentation 12:45 – 13:15
Formula One National Anthem 13:46
CF-18 Canadian Air Force Display 13:47
Start of Formula One Formation Lap 14:00
Start of 2012 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix 14:03*

* Based on the time period between the start of formation lap and actual race start in the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

UK Television schedules – BST time

In addition to Sky’s live coverage of the Canadian Grand Prix, the BBC is showing extended highlights of both qualifying, and the 70 lap Grand Prix. Times of the TV coverage can be seen below:

Friday 8th June

Sky Sports F1 Coverage

Practice One: 14:45 pm
Practice Two: 18.45 pm
The F1 Show: 11 pm (highlights show of Practice and news stories)

Saturday 9th June

BBC Coverage

2230-2345, BBC One

Sky Sports F1 Coverage

Practice Three: 14:45 pm
Qualifying: 17:30 pm

Sunday 10th June

BBC Coverage

2230-0030, BBC One

Sky Sports F1 Coverage

Race: 17.30 pm

Live timing and scoring is available for every session at http://www.formula1.com/ Registration is required to view live timing. If you wish to watch this Grand Prix outside the UK, please check your local listings.

Previous winners of Canadian Grand Prix

2004 – Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2005 – Kimi Raikkonen – McLaren-Mercedes Benz
2006 – Fernando Alonso – Renault
2007 – Lewis Hamilton – McLaren-Mercedes Benz
2008 – Robert Kubica – BMW-Sauber
2010 – Lewis Hamilton – McLaren-Mercedes Benz
2011 – Jenson Button – McLaren-Mercedes Benz

Enjoy the Grand Prix!

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am

There was due to be a pit lane parade for spectators on Thursday, but, minority groups are threatening to disrupt the event. Therefore in the interests of safety, they’ve cancelled the parade for the fans. I think the SAFETY of the parade would be fine if they had a SAFETY car period. If anything misbehaves, simply mow them down in the SLS – job done.

This is my favourite track for Formula 1 racing, and perhaps one of the best road courses in the world for racing. I don’t recall a dull Grand Prix around this place. But best of all, this race starts at 7 pm in the evening – just how spectacular will that be? When things take place at night, the show heats up. I hope for all kinds of crazy wrecks and Safety Car periods.

Even animals stroll across this track; this could really spice up the show…

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am

Images resized

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:32 am

Heikki caught the wall pretty well in the first session, then; Senna clouted the turn 14 wall after getting crossed-up whilst entering the chicane. I like the fact that a precise and super brave driver can excel around Montreal; it adds another dimension where mistakes are heavily punished.

Tyre degradation is looking a little uncertain at the moment; the cool conditions today suited the tyres with the grip available. But, the next two days are supposed to be hotter, and a hotter surface will make the track a little slicker, making it more difficult for the rear tyres. This may seem insignificant, but with how temperature-sensitive these tyres are proving to be, any swing in air/track temp could throw off balance and set-up changes.

Anyway, Sunday will be a thriller. This track never fails to put on a show. Plus, with safety cars and crashes – there’ll be good craziness as well.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Mobil 1 wrote:
Heikki caught the wall pretty well in the first session, then; Senna clouted the turn 14 wall after getting crossed-up whilst entering the chicane. I like the fact that a precise and super brave driver can excel around Montreal; it adds another dimension where mistakes are heavily punished.

as it should be, alot of the current tracks even singapore don't punish mistakes and they should.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:00 am

Depends which corner one gets wrong at Singapore… Very Happy

Sunday could be really competitive, I believe in race trim there is little to choose from Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. With the straightaways and drafting, things could get dicey in the braking zones. Especially as there are a number of drivers who start from poor starting positions, drivers like Button, Raikkonen and Maldonado didn’t post their representative lap times in qualifying.

In a way, I’m glad that the tyres are maintaining a good pace over a long stint. This track is naturally good for racing, and fast degrading tyres are not particularly needed.

I’m looking for the Williams drivers to crash and get the Safety Car out for my pleasure.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:00 am

Mobil 1 wrote:

I’m looking for the Williams drivers to crash and get the Safety Car out for my pleasure.

that would be good.
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 am

very close race, Lewis did very well.

Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 am

Well done to Ferrari for that epic fail, its right up there with the best. Redbull too, in some ways more so because they never looked like making it and yet still tried. Mclaren did the only sensible thing with Hamilton and he had a faultless race in general. The other two on the podium also did their jobs well enough in the tortoise takes on hare strategy which suits those Renualts and Saubers. The race reminded me of a couple of years ago in Canada when Ferrari had a great chance to win and shot themselves in the foot, although I think Hamilton had the win covered today, with everyone saying it about being on the podium each race this year Ferrari and Rebull sure did a good job of making sure they didn't get there. I almost wish Brawn had a better car, at least he can see whats staring him in the face.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 am

I agree, Ferrari in particular gave a freebie to McLaren by electing to keep Alonso out on the race track. Dodgy pitstops withstanding, Hamilton had extremely good pace all throughout the GP. But Ferrari could have at least challenged Hamilton, instead of finishing fifth.

The race surprised me a little. After Vettel got to the first turn in the lead, he usually gets a big lead and maintains a healthy gap. Well, he tried to maintain a gap, but it looked as if he pushed the tyres too much, then Hamilton rapidly gained on Vettel before the first pitstop’s. Hamilton drove in an impressively disciplined manner; he pushed to the limit when he needed to, and backed off when required. I was watching the on board, and Lewis was lifting off the throttle quite early before braking, suggesting he was even saving fuel in those initial laps.

I wonder if Ferrari struggled to get the soft tyre up to temperature, because Alonso couldn’t keep pace with Hamilton when he switched to those tyres.

The rising track temps seem to suit some more than others. I was just discussing this elsewhere, but if Friday’s air/track temperature had transferred to today, Alonso would have probably won. Today’s slicker surface is what made the difference. But as a team, Ferrari needed to adapt to today’s temperatures – which they failed to do.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 am

I forget that there was a race.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am

I wonder what Ferrari will do about Massa, because any new-founded speed was wasted by that spin in turn 2.

Grosjean drove really well, considering he pitted around the same time as Alonso, yet maintained a much better pace on old tyres. I still don’t understand why Ferrari and Red Bull wanted to give away such obvious positions.

I liked the way that different strategies helped foster racing and unpredictable podium finishers.

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:06 am

I find myself cheering Massa on now, I like the spirit he has shown recently and I hope he is encouraged by Ferrari. I think some drivers\people do mature late, like Button, they seem to open there minds and have breakthrough realisation of all they have been through and put it into practice like never before. I'd like to think thats whats happening with him but its early days, three decent performences are not enough to secure another year, he needs to continue.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 am

It might be best for Ferrari to retain Massa. Apart from Vettel and Hamilton, I don’t think anybody else could match Alonso’s adaptability and speed. The F2012 was a wicked handling car early in the season, even in Alonso’s hands. It was understeering and loose under braking, and could someone else have churned out Alonso-heroics with that car?

Okay, so Massa’s dumped for 2013 – so which other realistic alternative could touch Alonso? One problem gone…and another created…
Fisichella was a damp squib against Alonso too.

Touching on another topic, I really like the style of racing that Pirelli’s tyres are fostering. Before, the car which produced the most downforce pretty much was guaranteed to win. But now, excessive downforce actually harms these tyres. I like the other factors that now involve getting podium finishes.

Before, high speed tracks such as Barcelona and Silverstone often produced stale races. But the way these tyres seem to operate, Silverstone might be extremely entertaining under normal conditions.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE   

Back to top Go down

F1 - 2012 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX - CIRCUIT-GILLIES VILLENEUVE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1