HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 New Viper and ALMS GT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal
avatar

Posts : 9036
Join date : 2008-04-17
Location : Oubliette

PostSubject: New Viper and ALMS GT   Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 am

http://www.alms.com/articles/snake-bit-srt-viper-returning-alms%E2%80%99-gt-class
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!
avatar

Posts : 17945
Join date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:56 am

Thatís absolutely epic; itís great to see the Viper returning. I cannot quite believe how theyíve managed to use an 8.4 litre V10 in these eco-weeny times, but Chrysler deserves huge praise for not downsizing the motor. It must feel very naughty driving a car with 8 litres of engine capacity!

ALMS is proving once again its excellence, when youíve got so many car makers fielding factory entries Ė there is something right about the series.

Somebody needs to send a 2013 Dodge Viper to Greenpeaceís HQÖ


_________________

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal
avatar

Posts : 9036
Join date : 2008-04-17
Location : Oubliette

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:50 am

It is good news indeed. For le mans the gte engine capacity is 5.5 litres, if there going to use the v10 its going to have to breath through a tiny restrictor to get it down to 500 bhp but its still great to have it there.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!
avatar

Posts : 17945
Join date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:41 pm

The article did state that the ACO has given the Viperís engine a waiver due to its large displacement. I wonder if itís time to increase the power on GTE cars, I donít doubt that only the professionals can drive them, however, the 458, Corvette and Dodge passenger counterparts have more power. That cannot be right, the race car should have more power than the road car!

Lets have a GTE Viper with the full 650 horsepower... Very Happy


_________________

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal
avatar

Posts : 9036
Join date : 2008-04-17
Location : Oubliette

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Mobil 1 wrote:
The article did state that the ACO has given the Viperís engine a waiver due to its large displacement. I wonder if itís time to increase the power on GTE cars, I donít doubt that only the professionals can drive them, however, the 458, Corvette and Dodge passenger counterparts have more power. That cannot be right, the race car should have more power than the road car!

Lets have a GTE Viper with the full 650 horsepower... Very Happy


if you do that though you have to make everything else faster which would mean a p1 car lapping le mans in under 3 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vNGkPZQr4

the audi can do about 3-26 to 2-28 depending...

OR

or you make gt a top class in which case the cost goes up and the manufacters leave

OR

you get rid of all the aero in which case there massively fast in a straight line and very low through the corners, but then it would be slower over a lap than the road car would be.

So what do they do, get rid of the prototypes in which case you piss Audi and Toyota off and make gte the top class but then it might as well be fia gt1 that dosen't work either.

that leave one option, Lie...

I'm confused
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4007
Join date : 2008-04-14
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:12 am

great to have them back, but i thought they had taken the Viper as far as they could that's why they had finished running it in racing.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!
avatar

Posts : 17945
Join date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 am

cerca trova wrote:
Mobil 1 wrote:
The article did state that the ACO has given the Viperís engine a waiver due to its large displacement. I wonder if itís time to increase the power on GTE cars, I donít doubt that only the professionals can drive them, however, the 458, Corvette and Dodge passenger counterparts have more power. That cannot be right, the race car should have more power than the road car!

Lets have a GTE Viper with the full 650 horsepower... Very Happy


if you do that though you have to make everything else faster which would mean a p1 car lapping le mans in under 3 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vNGkPZQr4

the audi can do about 3-26 to 2-28 depending...

OR

or you make gt a top class in which case the cost goes up and the manufacters leave

OR

you get rid of all the aero in which case there massively fast in a straight line and very low through the corners, but then it would be slower over a lap than the road car would be.

So what do they do, get rid of the prototypes in which case you piss Audi and Toyota off and make gte the top class but then it might as well be fia gt1 that dosen't work either.

that leave one option, Lie...

I'm confused

You need to decide yourself on that one. Razz

There is no perfect solution, when there are multiple classes the balancing is never quite right. However, I just find it strange that the road cars of some GTE vehicles have more horsepower, and by a big margin as well. For P1 cars, it might be better to increase the horsepower allowed, but cut downforce levels. That way, lap times would not decrease too much, because cornering is where the most time is found Ė even with added horsepower.

I donít think ditching prototypes would be good, even though I much prefer the competitiveness of GTE Ė especially in ALMS.

_________________

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal
avatar

Posts : 9036
Join date : 2008-04-17
Location : Oubliette

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 pm

banning wings all round would allow them to have more power and might just work.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer
avatar

Posts : 850
Join date : 2009-02-05
Age : 29
Location : Last seen @ 2013 British MotoGP

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:07 am

Did wonder where the Viper had gotten to? One minute it was racing, the next it was gone without so much as a wimper. Question
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal
avatar

Posts : 9036
Join date : 2008-04-17
Location : Oubliette

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 am

CJ wrote:
Did wonder where the Viper had gotten to? One minute it was racing, the next it was gone without so much as a wimper. Question

I don't think they got updated, and just slipped out of gt3because of that. The same happened with the ascari, ford gt, Morgan, corvette, maserati or the one other that I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal
avatar

Posts : 9036
Join date : 2008-04-17
Location : Oubliette

PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

The Aston Martin I think did get updated but that's gone now too, and there's still one more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: New Viper and ALMS GT   

Back to top Go down
 
New Viper and ALMS GT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» a Viper is not what its cracked up to be
» VIPER ICON BAIT BOAT
» Installing a car alarm (viper 5706v)
» EZT Viper CHallenge Race 3 - Infineon NASCAR
» 69 viper stepside

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Endurance + GT :: WEC, ELMS and Tudor United Sports Car Series-
Jump to: