View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Mobil 1 wrote:
Indeed, thanks paddy. Sometimes you watch a race, and then are surprised at how low or high some drivers have finished. I didnít realise that Dario finished as poorly as 13th. The lack of a power boost system and carbonfibre brakes are hindering passing, at least a power boost system should be introduced to create differences in straightaway speeds on road courses.

As for the restarts, I don't agree. NASCAR has double-file restarts at Martinsville, Sonoma and Watkins Glen. The whole field is always closely bunched on every restart, yet all of those track's have tight final corners. The issue is not the radius of the corner, it's the speed and control of the restarts. Before the green flag is waved, IndyCar's go too fast and race control don't police jump starts. NASCAR has a restart zone where drivers at the front can start accelerating, this keeps restarts close so the drivers duke it out properly. As a result, the field behind also stays close together because the cars in front are not jumping on the throttle before the green flag is shown.

This weekend IndyCar moves onto Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park, a beautiful and challenging road course with blind crests and undulations.

actually the last corner at Watkins glen is a wide 90 degree right hander, easy to be 2 wide through. The last corner at Sears Point is a small left kink. If they were taken around the last corner slow it would help but not much. And as for Long beach double file restarts will always be impossible and an Indycar can barely get around that last harpin anyway.
I think you'll find them they are a lot better lined up at Barber.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 am

Sonomaís final turn in reality is the hairpin; the left hand kink is barley a turn when even a stock car takes it wide open. I still maintain that the speed and control of the front rows dictates the quality of a double-file restarts. In NASCAR, there are very strict zones from which drivers can accelerate. With IndyCar and WTCC, it seems that some drivers jump on the throttle earlier than others, meaning they are already out of line before the green flag is waved.

Also, NASCAR restricts cars to 50 mph and no more before the restart zone (the double red marks). This means on the tracks with tight final turns, the field isnít so spread out when the cars go off into turn 1. IMO, itís down to the experience that NASCAR has. Theyíve been running double-file restarts in the All-Star race for years, before implementing them to every race in 2009. IndyCar had previously never done double-file restarts before 2011.

My point about Watkins Glen was that itís a tight final turn compared to the final turn of Texas, Daytona, Michigan etc. On those tracks, 43 cars can line up on the front straightaway. So itís harder to get the entire field nose-to-tail going into turn 1 at WGI Ė but theyíve managed it from day one.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 am

perhaps your right, but i'm not too worried to me it adds very little anyway.

As a point I would like to steel brakes rather than fibre carbon become common place in motorsport again.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:29 am

Now this is an interesting grid. Castroneves won the pole after his win at St Petersberg, Hinchcliffe for Andretti is second, and then the best Honda-powered car is Dixon in the third position. Will Power could only manage ninth, Briscoe twelfth and Dario in eighteenth: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98517

Yikes!

I foresee a lot of cautions and accidents, because these drivers have only had one dry practice session, and there are a lot of fast cars that havenít qualified well.

Iím really happy for Helio, the guy is a pleasure to watch race. Heís got his mojo back now. Anybody who prevents Will Power from winning is good.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:33 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Now this is an interesting grid. Castroneves won the pole after his win at St Petersberg, Hinchcliffe for Andretti is second, and then the best Honda-powered car is Dixon in the third position. Will Power could only manage ninth, Briscoe twelfth and Dario in eighteenth: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98517

Yikes!

I foresee a lot of cautions and accidents, because these drivers have only had one dry practice session, and there are a lot of fast cars that havenít qualified well.

Iím really happy for Helio, the guy is a pleasure to watch race. Heís got his mojo back now. Anybody who prevents Will Power from winning is good.
I'll be happy as long as power dosent win.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:37 am

The grid is just so strange after what normally happens, I'm glad because it should create some good racing in the field.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 am

very interesting grid. dario has work to do.

I think this indy car season could be interesting. could Castroneves get the title that he so badly wants? to go along with 3 indy 500 wins..............
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:33 am

A lot of drivers say passing is hard at Barber. It is, but the entry to the hairpin then the hill after that are great places to pass. The double file restarts were hairy last year, especially when climbing the crest before that tight hairpin. I suspect a lot of places will be made up on restarts, but it'll be risky.

Helio has a good chance of being champion, being in Penske machinery helps greatly. Helio is a great road course racer, irrespective of Will Power. I believe he is a stronger oval driver too, on short and bigger ovals. So things may balance out as the year goes on. Mr Penske wouldn't mind a 16th Indianapolis 500 victory eitherÖ

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 pm

hmm. should be interesting. helio has won there before so.

If helio keeps the winning and scoring points in first part of the season before going to indy. I think he has a very good this year if the chevy power keeps good but indy car seem to bit more open....

i really hope i can catch coverage of the indy 500 as i am at slight small event that weekend Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 am

it's such a shame that a good race has to be ruined by william power winning it. There's no way dario's getting a 4th straight title. I'd say it's over already unless there's a miracle at the next races.
Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 am

cerca trova wrote:
it's such a shame that a good race has to be ruined by william power winning it. There's no way dario's getting a 4th straight title. I'd say it's over already unless there's a miracle at the next races.

Its a bit early to rule Dario out but a good start has been very important in recent years. Dixon has finally had a decent start to the season, despite the crews efforts today. I'm sure Dario can get up to speed with the new car soon and he isn't so far behind in the points with 37 to Helios 86.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 am

Duckman wrote:
cerca trova wrote:

Its a bit early to rule Dario out but a good start has been very important in recent years. Dixon has finally had a decent start to the season, despite the crews efforts today. I'm sure Dario can get up to speed with the new car soon and he isn't so far behind in the points with 37 to Helios 86.

thats a win already, he's going to have to get faster quickly.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:28 am

Wow, I was surprised at how much racing there was. It was more exciting than last year without push to pass. Marco Andretti pulled off some great passes on the outside of the penultimate corner. It was nice to see Barrichello getting racy with other competitors. Whilst drivers are following others, they donít seem to lose too much front downforce, allowing them to stay relatively close to a competitor.

Iím not really sure on who will be IndyCar champion. Dixon today was the fastest guy, but had a slow pitstop. The ovals have the potential to shake up the standings; IndyCar has four completely different ovals so a competitive outing at Indianapolis wonít mean much at Iowa, for example.

On these road/street courses, there is rightly a lot of attention on traction and driveability off slow turns with the engines. However on the ovals, pure horsepower and reliability will prevail.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 am

Iíve got an idea: IndyCar uses a road course aero package; instead they should use the oval package on road courses and short ovals which has less downforce. Now that would be really interesting for the fans at least!

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Iíve got an idea: IndyCar uses a road course aero package; instead they should use the oval package on road courses and short ovals which has less downforce. Now that would be really interesting for the fans at least!

Less downforce = better racing, suits me.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:09 am

Here is the Super Speedway oval package in question, they were testing it at Indianapolis this week. They should run this lower downforce package at every track:

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Here is the Super Speedway oval package in question, they were testing it at Indianapolis this week. They should run this lower downforce package at every track:

Indeed
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 am

IndyCar is back this weekend on the streets of Long Beach for the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Strangely, all Chevrolet-powered cars are getting 10 place grid penalties for motor changes. This will create a topsy-turvy grid, passing on this street circuit is tough, and I can see some losing their tempersÖ

The new penalty for engine change is a bit silly in my opinion. These are brand new engines, there are obviously going to be issues with them.

9 pm on Sky Sports, or justin.tv.

Back to top Go down
Duckman
Race Driver
Race Driver

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 am

I could understand the penalty, it stops team finding excuses to get a free change.

Turned into a good race with the Pagenaud and Power run down. Felt bad for Rubens and Sato, they both drove well today and deserved better. What a disappointment for Dario after such an improved qualifying, I'm sure he'll get to grips with it in time though. Dixon may aswell not come to Long Beach anymore with his luck round there. I still think the title is fairly open but Power is favorite for sure and lets face it he is bound for a title sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 am

There were interesting periods of that race. Iím glad that Marco Andretti is okay; the way the car started to take off reminded me of Webber in Valencia. Thankfully, this was at much lower speed and the car got stopped quite quickly.

Not sure what Rahal was thinking there, he seemed to concede the line to Andretti, only to steer into the latter. Ironic for a driver bemoaning that defending is now allowedÖ

It was quite startling to see the performance difference between the engines. Hinchcliffe in the Chevrolet effortlessly passed De Silvestro on the straightaway like he had another 50 horsepower. Wow. Iím really glad that Hinchcliffe got a podium; heís a great personality and racer.
Darioís restarts were puzzling, the tardiness cannot have just been about the Honda unit, because, other Honda-powered drivers didnít have as tardy acceleration.

EJ Viso drove like a twat in the race. Moving over for leaders is not required in IndyCar, but there is etiquette between drivers about that. The way he held up Will Power was unnecessary. Heís been a disaster in IndyCar generally; no wonder he went flying in the air at Magny-CoursÖ

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Mobil 1 wrote:

There were interesting periods of that race. Iím glad that Marco Andretti is okay; the way the car started to take off reminded me of Webber in Valencia. Thankfully, this was at much lower speed and the car got stopped quite quickly.

the way the car flew was really quite scary, if that happens at indy were going to have a few massive crashes

Mobil 1 wrote:
Not sure what Rahal was thinking there, he seemed to concede the line to Andretti, only to steer into the latter. Ironic for a driver bemoaning that defending is now allowedÖ

that wasn't blocking, blocking where you move to the inside on the track, it was far too late to be blocking. Dangerous?

Mobil 1 wrote:
It was quite startling to see the performance difference between the engines. Hinchcliffe in the Chevrolet effortlessly passed De Silvestro on the straightaway like he had another 50 horsepower. Wow. Iím really glad that Hinchcliffe got a podium; heís a great personality and racer.
Darioís restarts were puzzling, the tardiness cannot have just been about the Honda unit, because, other Honda-powered drivers didnít have as tardy acceleration.

Hinchcliffe has got 50 horse power more than De Silvestro, Dario needs to left foot brake already, but it was clear there were other problems with his car.

Mobil 1 wrote:
EJ Viso drove like a twat in the race. Moving over for leaders is not required in IndyCar, but there is etiquette between drivers about that. The way he held up Will Power was unnecessary. Heís been a disaster in IndyCar generally; no wonder he went flying in the air at Magny-CoursÖ

actually thats the one part of the race I was fine with.

Pagenaud was superb and very unlucky not to win the race.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

i was just listening to the race on indycar.com it sounded a good race.

so unlucky for Pagenaud, he was on it. he would of caught and passed power if he had more laps.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:54 am

the chevrolet IImors seem to have a big advantage over Honda and Lotus's are nowhere. It's odd but having one dominant engine supplier has kind of ruined indycar compared to last year...
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 am

I think itís about the consistency of the line taken. Andretti was partially alongside Rahal, and the latter needed to recognise that. Instead, he jerked to the right when Andretti was there. It initially seemed like Rahal was going to give Andretti room, but it was a misjudgement from Rahal. I like Rahal a lot, but that was his error.

IndyCarís DW12 is interesting. The rear wheel guards work well at preventing rear tyres from getting punctured when contact is made. However, the bodywork at the rear hasnít prevented the situation of a car hitting the rear quarter of another car at an awkward angle, then getting airborne. The laws of physics rule.

Pagenaud was indeed superb; I hope he can continue a similar form for the rest of the year.

Viso has been a liability in a lot of IndyCar races, particularly on ovals. Even when Jimmy Vasser urged Viso to let the leaders by, he refused to let Power through for half a lap. There is no rule against that, however, itís not a very classy way to race.

cerca trova wrote:
the chevrolet IImors seem to have a big advantage over Honda and Lotus's are nowhere. It's odd but having one dominant engine supplier has kind of ruined indycar compared to last year...

Just imagine the Chevrolet engines at Indianapolis, Texas and Fontana Ė thatís about pure horsepower.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Quote :
Viso has been a liability in a lot of IndyCar races, particularly on ovals. Even when Jimmy Vasser urged Viso to let the leaders by, he refused to let Power through for half a lap. There is no rule against that, however, itís not a very classy way to race.

if he's trying to stay on the lead lap i'm fine with it, but anyone other than the leader he needs to move over. Plus blocking the race leader makes the show better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   

Back to top Go down

2012 IndyCar race thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next