2012 IndyCar race thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am

After a long break, IndyCar returns this weekend for the Honda Grand Prix of St Petersberg. With a completely new car, a new engine configuration and engine building competition, and the arrival of a certain high profile ex-Formula 1 driver should ensure this event will be an exciting affair.

The street course Grand Prix can be watched on Sky Sports F1, or justin.tv should have a free stream to watch online.

Iím excited about IndyCar, nobody really knows how this new car will perform, and the best engine is yet to be known. Now the engines are turbocharged, the extra torque should spin up the rear tyres more Ė which could result in more oversteery cars.

I have a feeling that Barrichello will get on rather well, he may get caught out by the nature of American racing, but the raw speed will be there.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:07 am

as the only Radio le Mans Fantasy Indycar champion I think a few predictions are needed. Penske will be fast, Ganassi will be fast, AGR will have moved forward without the 200 ton talent vacuum that was Mrs Hospital. She'll be back next year (Probably). and Barrichello will be right on the pace. The Iimor will have the most power, the Hinda will be the most frugal and the Judd will be somewhere behind both of them.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25 pm

looking forward to the race. i will be watching or listening one of the two or even both Wink pirat
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 am

From what Iíve read, the GM unit is both powerful and reliable, the Honda unit has had reliability issues and Lotus are unsure where they stand because they havenít racked up many testing miles.

I think KV Racing could be a real surprise this season; they have excellent drivers, have assembled very proven personnel and appear to have great engines thanks to Chevrolet. Ganassi, Penske and sometimes Andretti have had a huge advantage over everyone, mainly because they had so much experience with the old car. Now, those Champ Car teams are starting at the same point that the bigger teams are.

I like all the cautions at St Petersberg, the double-file restarts will be crazy. crashing crashing w00t w00t w00t

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
From what Iíve read, the GM unit is both powerful and reliable, the Honda unit has had reliability issues and Lotus are unsure where they stand because they havenít racked up many testing miles.

I think KV Racing could be a real surprise this season; they have excellent drivers, have assembled very proven personnel and appear to have great engines thanks to Chevrolet. Ganassi, Penske and sometimes Andretti have had a huge advantage over everyone, mainly because they had so much experience with the old car. Now, those Champ Car teams are starting at the same point that the bigger teams are.

I like all the cautions at St Petersberg, the double-file restarts will be crazy. crashing crashing w00t w00t w00t

The well funded teams will usually do better in the first year plus a surprise.

somebody messed up and now the fuel tanks are too small.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 am

Looks like theyíve sorted the fuel tank issue out. The theory that big teams have a bigger budget to work through a new car is valid, but on the flip side, the smaller and more recent entrants of IndyCar can start at the same point that the big teams have. Theyíre not miles behind on data and set-ups.

Kanaan and Barrichello could be a great combination, and Iím hoping that Graham Rahal can get some more luck and hopefully win some races.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:45 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Looks like theyíve sorted the fuel tank issue out. The theory that big teams have a bigger budget to work through a new car is valid, but on the flip side, the smaller and more recent entrants of IndyCar can start at the same point that the big teams have. Theyíre not miles behind on data and set-ups.

Kanaan and Barrichello could be a great combination, and Iím hoping that Graham Rahal can get some more luck and hopefully win some races.

Kanaan has been struggling in testing and Barrichello was up towards the front. I'd like to see the Lebanese driver Graham Rahal do well as well (well well well well well well well) and James Hinchcliff (still the best colour commentator in motorsport for my money)
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 am

Hinchcliffe is going to excel this year, he punched above his weight in a lower team last year, now he has the machinery to really fight for podiums and perhaps wins.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 am

btw Indycar preview on Radio Le Mans about now (8pm uk) podcast later
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:05 am

cerca trova wrote:
btw Indycar preview on Radio Le Mans about now (8pm uk) podcast later

Excellent, shall listen to a repeat if there is one.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 am

i'm really looking forward to indycar this year. Along with gp2 it's my favorite open wheel racing.

A though has just flashed across my brain, fantasy league. At the moment I don't have time but it'll see if I can up with something practical before Indy. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:31 am

IndyCar is getting a vital second chance this year, with a new car, new engine configuration, engine competition and a higher profile of drivers (Iíll take Barrichello racing over Patrick any day). I hope the nadir of sport is behind it, the old Dallara chassis was just awful to look at. The shocking part was that the CART cars were faster than the old Dallara, the latter was massively slower.

The new cars looked quite twitchy in Sebring testing, which should be fun to watch on road/street courses. The new engines have more power, but also a lot more torque which will mean more wheel spin in slow corners.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:11 am

It seems that Briscoe can maybe challenge Power on the road courses, and Dario was right there on pace in the second practice session. It will be interesting to see the differences between the Chevrolet and Honda engines which power the dominant teams.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:04 pm

i am interested on seeing how the GM unit will go. no problems in test but that is testing....

i really hope Briscoe can challenge. he did well in 08/09 and just dropped off, Dixon will be strong.

going to be interesting season!
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:34 am

Power seems to be struggling with the understeery nature of the DW12. It does match his style.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 am

I suppose the obvious concern of these new engines is turbo failures. These new V6ís are less stressed at road/street courses, the real test for reliability will be Indianapolis, Texas and especially Fontana Ė the latter will be 100 % wide open.

The engines sound lovely, they have a typical V6 growl to them. They sound far better than the old V8ís, the old Dallara couldnít even be saved by an NA V8 engine.

Penske has filled the front row in qualifying, with Power on pole and Briscoe second. The Andretti cars of Hunter Reay and Hinchcliffe fill the second row. Ganassi had a torrid session with only Dixon in 8th. Barrichello was 14th, its not great Ė but a big improvement over his speed in practice. Full times here: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-power-scores-st-pete-pole/

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:09 am

in case anyones watching Indycar live you need to press the jenson button after 5.30
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:09 am

so i here anyway
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:31 am

listening to it live on Indycar.com

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

seemed like a learning day for some.

Helio won with chevy power

Nice touch by Helio at the end. shows you thoughts of dan is not to far from us still
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:16 am

cerca trova wrote:
in case anyones watching Indycar live you need to press the jenson button after 5.30

Yep, they showed IndyCar on the button because of the longer than anticipated F1 race.

Iím really happy for Castroneves, heís a great racer and a very passionate guy. Scott Dixon must be ruing being so polite to Helio into turn 1, Helio must have had a blistering out lap to get alongside Dixon in the first place, because Helioís final pitstop was a second slower than Dixonís.

St Petersberg isnít a great layout to make judgments about this car package, even the front straightaway is too short for passing. The rest of the track is following the leader, except for some wild moves into turn 3. The cars sounded lovely, the V6ís have a typical V6 growl under hard acceleration, and then, they have the evil waste gate noise when the driver lifts off the throttle. These V6ís are maybe a little quieter than the old V8ís, but the sound makes up for that.

Most of the field finished, so I think that can be considered a solid start for the DW12 and new engines.

Three cautions was a pretty decent amount, thatís a good target to aim for in every race. The start/restarts werenít handled very well though, before they took the green flag it was like some drivers didnít realise it was a double-file start, with how spread out the back rows were.
The natural track of Barber should be more representative of a typical road race.

Chevrolet Power won twice this evening, first with Helio, and Tony Stewart won out at Fontana in a Chevrolet.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:19 pm

with the last corner being a hairpin it was always going to be more spread out on restarts. The same as long beach will. TO be honest they made little or no difference anyway.
Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 am

Result from Round 1 of the Indycar Series in St. Petersburg, Florida:

(grid positions in brackets)

1. Helio Castroneves (Brazil) (5)
2. Scott Dixon (NZ) (6)
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay (US) (3)
4. James Hinchcliffe (Canada) (4)
5. Ryan Briscoe (Australia) (2)
6. Simon Pagenaud (France) (16)
7. Will Power (Australia) (1)
8. EJ Viso (Venezuela) (12)
9. Charlie Kimball (US) (22)
10. Justin Wilson (GB) (15)
11. Josef Newgarden (US) (19)
12. Graham Rahal (US) (10)
13. Dario Franchitti (GB) (9)
14. Marco Andretti (US) (7)
15. Alex Tagliani (Canada) (17)
16. Oriol Servia (Spain) (23)
17. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) (13)
18. Ed Carpenter (US) (24)
ret JR Hildebrand (US) (18)
ret Mike Conway (GB) (11)
ret Sebastien Bourdais (France) (26)
ret Takuma Sato (Japan) (14)
ret Katherine Legge (GB) (25)
ret Simona de Silvestro (Switzerland) (21)
ret Tony Kanaan (Brazil) (Cool
ret James Jakes (GB) (20)
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:45 am

--paddy-- wrote:
Result from Round 1 of the Indycar Series in St. Petersburg, Florida:

(grid positions in brackets)

1. Helio Castroneves (Brazil) (5)
2. Scott Dixon (NZ) (6)
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay (US) (3)
4. James Hinchcliffe (Canada) (4)
5. Ryan Briscoe (Australia) (2)
6. Simon Pagenaud (France) (16)
7. Will Power (Australia) (1)
8. EJ Viso (Venezuela) (12)
9. Charlie Kimball (US) (22)
10. Justin Wilson (GB) (15)
11. Josef Newgarden (US) (19)
12. Graham Rahal (US) (10)
13. Dario Franchitti (GB) (9)
14. Marco Andretti (US) (7)
15. Alex Tagliani (Canada) (17)
16. Oriol Servia (Spain) (23)
17. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) (13)
18. Ed Carpenter (US) (24)
ret JR Hildebrand (US) (18)
ret Mike Conway (GB) (11)
ret Sebastien Bourdais (France) (26)
ret Takuma Sato (Japan) (14)
ret Katherine Legge (GB) (25)
ret Simona de Silvestro (Switzerland) (21)
ret Tony Kanaan (Brazil) (Cool
ret James Jakes (GB) (20)

I'm very much enjoying your new results service. It's nice. ten
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:14 am

Indeed, thanks paddy. Sometimes you watch a race, and then are surprised at how low or high some drivers have finished. I didnít realise that Dario finished as poorly as 13th. The lack of a power boost system and carbonfibre brakes are hindering passing, at least a power boost system should be introduced to create differences in straightaway speeds on road courses.

As for the restarts, I don't agree. NASCAR has double-file restarts at Martinsville, Sonoma and Watkins Glen. The whole field is always closely bunched on every restart, yet all of those track's have tight final corners. The issue is not the radius of the corner, it's the speed and control of the restarts. Before the green flag is waved, IndyCar's go too fast and race control don't police jump starts. NASCAR has a restart zone where drivers at the front can start accelerating, this keeps restarts close so the drivers duke it out properly. As a result, the field behind also stays close together because the cars in front are not jumping on the throttle before the green flag is shown.

This weekend IndyCar moves onto Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park, a beautiful and challenging road course with blind crests and undulations.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 IndyCar race thread   

Back to top Go down

2012 IndyCar race thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next