Fantasy ALMS 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:03 am

Excellent race, those cautions were just superb. Having a caution on the first corner of the opening lap was a thrilling start. Then there was a good old fashioned shootout at the end. Real racing that was.

Some of the penalties were BS, though. That Viper was alongside the Ferrari, what the heck is the Viper supposed to do, not overtake because the 458 driver is too stupid to see something alongside him? Officials need to get away from the idea that contact is always the pursuers fault.

Hanson’s move on the Dyson this was a legitimate move. If Dyson left the door open, what did he expect? ALMS should be careful here, they have excellent racing, they shouldn’t try and nanny hard fought racing.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:28 am

Back in the lead!!!!!!!!!!!... Just!

What about 2014 big news talk about merger......
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 am

I’d call it the “American Sportscar Championship”...

Great news imo, seeing a quality field at Watkins Glen, Montreal or Daytona would be mega.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:11 am

The merger will never happen. One will die and the other will survive.

Plus there is no way a current grand am car can race with alms cars except the gtc Porsche cup car.

This is less likely than an HRT winning at spa today/tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:33 pm

You might be right on that. With regards to the car, I don’t think that Grand Am and ALMS prototypes would race alongside each other, instead, one ultra-competitive prototype class would be created.

IMO, some of the sophistication of a P1 car combined with the aerodynamics of a DP, that has little aero turbulence, might be a very nice class.

I fear that if a series does die, and it’s a big if, ALMS will die. The prototype fields have dwindled, new categories have been invented to boost grids, and most decisively; is that Grand Am has far superior financial backing. As long as Grand Am is bankrolled by NASCAR, it would always be the winner.

I think it’s sad, because ALMS have put on a heck of a show since its debut. Sadly, though, being an independent series leaves it relatively isolated.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:49 am

It'll be DPs or p1 and not something in between.

It's an indycar vs champcar thing all other again the better series loses because the crappy one has good backers.

To be honest grand am's not much better off for prototypes, I think it's 7 to 9 to alms's 6 or 7. Obviously that doesn't include pc's. But alms is split over two classes. If course if Audi and Toyota come to play the balances changes.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 pm

i am not sure what to make of it.

so much is un answered will DP or P1? GT what will happen?

both series are different but good. Yes Prototype field is down in ALMS but GT is great and still big teams are in. corvette RLL/BMW Ferrari, Viper, so i don't know

Grand-am is great cars are different but good, rules are ok might not be everyone cup of tea but they work for the race. The go to great tracks the DP's still have stick to shift with which is great must cars in GT are paddle shift.

lots of unknown
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 am

If there is to be a merger, I think it needs to be a decisive one. Any attempts to try and equalize the current cars in both series would leave too many categories and arguments about who has an advantage.

As I said, the best bits of both series need to be merged, with no left over prototype cars in 2014.

ALMS is a tale of two stories. GT is as strong as ever, with great cars and fierce racing. Sadly, their approach to P cars has been reliant on factory entries, and now all the auto makers have left, the consequences are half-hearted new classes to disguise the bigger problem.

Road racing is a tiny proportion of motor racing in America, and I can see why a merger will happen. There isn’t room for separate series, especially when they offer the same thing. This is a great opportunity for one mega series, racing with great cars on legendary tracks. It needs a clean sheet of paper, so I hope that a new prototype is created. Lets see a prototype that is truly American for an American series, not cast offs from Europe.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:07 am

update, this isn't a merger. Grand am has bought alms. Thats the end of alms then. Oh crap that kills the best racing series in the world and kills the fantasy league too btw.

Fantasy Blancpain endurance series or fantasy world 24 for next year then.

If nascar own everything thats its death as far as i'm concerned. Nascar have no clue about motorsport, there listening to the sort of people who like big crashes out good racing in nascar.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:45 am

Nope, I see this as a necessity rather than an option. A NASCAR holding has immense dollars to invest, and that’s what ALMS in particular are in dire need of. Neither series is doing particularly well, so a merger, take over, whatever one wants to call it – they need to combine.

Considering NASCAR operates one of the most popular overall sports in America, I think they have a pretty good idea about how to market and promote automobile racing. In particular, this series is likely to have an excellent TV package – which is the life blood of any major series.

I really hope the prototype will be an unashamedly American prototype, not just a derived LMP car. Something like a DP car, but with more power (no more downforce, possibly some hybrid shit with petrol) would be fabulous.

This series will succeed by having a unique looking prototype, not following a heard.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:04 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Nope, I see this as a necessity rather than an option. A NASCAR holding has immense dollars to invest, and that’s what ALMS in particular are in dire need of. Neither series is doing particularly well, so a merger, take over, whatever one wants to call it – they need to combine.

Considering NASCAR operates one of the most popular overall sports in America, I think they have a pretty good idea about how to market and promote automobile racing. In particular, this series is likely to have an excellent TV package – which is the life blood of any major series.

I really hope the prototype will be an unashamedly American prototype, not just a derived LMP car. Something like a DP car, but with more power (no more downforce, possibly some hybrid shit with petrol) would be fabulous.

This series will succeed by having a unique looking prototype, not following a heard.

nascar won't invest

it's a buy out called a merger

I think you might get your dp with more power

Nascar have a history of crushing series they've bought so I really can't see alms surviving in any form and neither can I see lmp's or lmgt's racing in the new series.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:11 am

IMSA got on its feet by partial funding from the France family, so I don’t see how NASCAR wanted to crush other series. Open wheel racing disintegrated all by itself, as you know, NASCAR has built an incredible product that took motor racing to the mainstream in the US.

It sounds like GTE cars will be retained and modified, and key ALMS tracks will be retained. Let’s see further details before commenting too much, but neither series was doing that great, despite both offer an amazing show. This will give sports car racing a fighting shot in America.

I think the LMP model just became increasingly redundant in America. With WEC, the ACO is effectively snubbing the ALMS, so why should ALMS accept a few fast prototypes that turn up for one race a year, then bugger off? Is it worth keeping LMP cars when one category has two cars, ALMS had to invent the PC category just to keep the LMP concept afloat? It increasingly doesn’t make sense.

When Scott Atherton says about retaining ACO links, he may be referring to GTE being the primary GT category.

I understand why you don’t like DP cars, which I can appreciate. But at least the 2014 series won’t be at the mercy of a European sanctioning body that uses them when they feel like.

The reaction from the manufactures and teams has been nothing but positive. If they all put their words into action, 2014 and beyond could be pretty spectacular.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 am

with the world ecomeny in the mess it's in the aco's turn over of p1 and p2 rules has been madness.

what i think will happen, we will end up with a Dp's and GAGT.

The only successful part of either has been gt, at Daytona where were 40 plus iirc.

The real problem i have with grand am is not the cars, teams, drivers or owners. Its the stupidity and the lack of rule enforcement, Montoya smashing people out of the way was a disgrace, that said alms went to far with the penalty of the 37 car at Baltimore, something in the middle will be just fine, some bump and run but no deliberate wrecking or NASCAR revenge crap.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 am

More importantly

The best senario is LMP2, GAGT and whatever the new class is called (with the mazda diesel thingy). P2 is the cheapest form of prototypes anywhere at the moment.
Whats needed is an american manufacter to build P2 cars, Riley have one that no ones bought and there is a ford P2 engine out there.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:

The real problem i have with grand am is not the cars, teams, drivers or owners. Its the stupidity and the lack of rule enforcement, Montoya smashing people out of the way was a disgrace, that said alms went to far with the penalty of the 37 car at Baltimore, something in the middle will be just fine, some bump and run but no deliberate wrecking or NASCAR revenge crap.

I personally favour that approach. Shit will happen out on the race track, especially when everyone’s trying to get all the positions they can. Penalties don’t actually solve anything; drivers will still do opportunistic moves.

The incidents with Montoya were not his fault, the cry-babies at Starworks got upset because their drivers chop and block everywhere. Eventually you deserved to get dumped if one doesn’t recognise what’s coming inside. Dalziel punted JPM on the grass – he paid the price for that.

If the drivers are upset, they should sort it out themselves – off the track. The rivalry and payback reminds me that human beings drive these cars; drivers become characters, baddies, and good guys. You cannot quantify that appeal, it gets fans mad, excited or disgusted – it keeps the show alive.

At Baltimore, it was crazy that the Viper driver got penalised. These default penalties are BS – good riddance to them in 2014.

Quote :
Whats needed is an american manufacter to build P2 cars, Riley have one that no ones bought and there is a ford P2 engine out there.

Tbh, I just don’t think that America ever really liked the European style of prototypes. LMP cars were well promoted by ALMS, but once the manufactures left, the true appetite for LMP cars was apparent. 2014 should see the start of American cars for an American series – no driver aided LMP cars.

A more powerful DP car really appeals to me. They don’t need faster cornering speeds and more downforce, give them more power and those cars will produce a brilliant show.

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:59 am

Quote :
If the drivers are upset, they should sort it out themselves – off the track. The rivalry and payback reminds me that human beings drive these cars; drivers become characters, baddies, and good guys. You cannot quantify that appeal, it gets fans mad, excited or disgusted – it keeps the show alive.

It makes me turn off

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:53 pm

That’s the thing about using the bumper, you either like it or you don’t – there isn’t a middle ground. I respect that.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm ok with side to side but not front to back
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 am

ALMS: Pickett Exploring Options For 2014

Quote :
“I own a DP car and I don't mind going out and pounding around in it and my 16-year-old grandson thinks it's great fun,” Pickett said. “But that doesn't mean I could talk Lucas Luhr or Klaus Graf or [team manager/engineer] Brendan Fry to get excited about going out and racing it. You couldn't talk me into doing that.

"I will not go DP racing. I will say that as I don't have much interest in it.”

interesting.

Quote :
Both teams debuted new state-of-the-art P1 cars this year, including what’s believed to be a hefty $2.5 million investment by Pickett for the Wirth Research-designed HPD, engine lease and trackside technical support.

That is high investment.

i think he will go WEC soon.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 am

MotorracingP wrote:
ALMS: Pickett Exploring Options For 2014

Quote :
“I own a DP car and I don't mind going out and pounding around in it and my 16-year-old grandson thinks it's great fun,” Pickett said. “But that doesn't mean I could talk Lucas Luhr or Klaus Graf or [team manager/engineer] Brendan Fry to get excited about going out and racing it. You couldn't talk me into doing that.

"I will not go DP racing. I will say that as I don't have much interest in it.”

interesting.

Quote :
Both teams debuted new state-of-the-art P1 cars this year, including what’s believed to be a hefty $2.5 million investment by Pickett for the Wirth Research-designed HPD, engine lease and trackside technical support.

That is high investment.

i think he will go WEC soon.

Yes it is. I'm not surprised though.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
Phones are useful for this stuff, I use to post quite often, but ranting on one is hard work, lol.

45 lizards
06 Core
22 Alex job

I might change, but I doubt it.

that team will do
Back to top Go down
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

Location : The damp cold sticky moist regions of Southern Bucks!

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 am

Yido Racing

55 BMW
52 Oreca
30 Porsche

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy ALMS 2012   Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 am

01 Williams racing

4 corvette