View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:55 am

Quote :
It's not just slower, a daytona prototype would struggle to keep up with a gte/gt3 car

So what? When Iím watching a race, I cannot tell the difference in cornering speeds when the differences are not huge. Letís put it into perspective, Grand Am cars are plenty quick enough, pulling 190 mph down straightaways. If they lose out in corners, it really doesnít matter. What matters is good, hard racing Ė which Grand Am has in spades.

In fact, Grand Amís slower cornering speeds and braking is good. It limits the effect of aero turbulence, and bigger braking zones means better racing.

Quote :
Can I put it this way, if I was running a grand am team, I'd have two cars one to win the race and other to take the rest of the field out and apparently grand am think that's fair. It's just cheating simple as that.

You conspiracy theorist! Laughing

I think youíre really blowing it out of proportion. With Dalziel, Montoya partially had the inside line into turn 2. Dalziel should have recognised that, but he decided to turn in like nobody was there. Dalziel crowded JPM onto the grass, and he paid the price.

Turns 1 and 2 are peculiar, because the car on the outside of turn 1 has the better line immediately into turn 2. This is exactly the situation here.

There are some drivers who block to ridiculous levels, chopping everyone off at every conceivable opportunity. At some point, youíre going to get dumped. Dalziel fully deserved to get dumped; he messed with the wrong driver and got taught a lesson. Crowd JPM into a turn and heíll dump you. Dalziel unnecessarily put JPM on the grass, and the stewards quite rightly didnít issue a penalty.

Quote :
. It was already at the apex when Montoya attacked it

The 9 car was never at the apex, that was the point. Barbosa left a space for Montoya on entry, which JPM seized on. It wasnít like JPM dumped him from behind. If Barbosa didnít look in his mirror as to what was coming inside, thatís his deal.

There are some who will blame JPM for being a part time driver, and other BS conspiracies. But those incidents could have easily occurred with regular drivers. Blaming JPM for everything is a smokescreen for drivers who cannot recognise when theyíve lost out.

Last edited by Mobil 1 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 am

This from Tiff Needell, This from Tiff Needell:
Quote :
Great win by Bourdais in GrandAm at Indy. Now that's what prototypes should be - not science experiments! @GrandAm

Completely agree, hard, fierce racing is far more important than Ďroad relevanceí. Road relevance and green crap should stay on road cars. When people see motor racing, they turn up to see motor racing Ė not an extension of street car driving. Auto makers develop road car technology for road cars, and it should stay that way.

'Michelin Green x challenge' etc is complete bullshit, economy runs can be seen on the M25.

Grand-Am has a pure focus on racing and noise, which to me is refreshing.

Diesel, traction control, four wheel drive? It does nothing to enhance circuit motor racing. Certain Motorsport needs to get rid of this crap, and make motor racing be motor racing Ė not some road car-related experiment.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 am

sportscar racing should be:

Slow
Ugly
Preformance balanced
expensive
and have no prototype parts on them anywhere

Run by a series that allows you to cheat

The drivers and more importantly the gt makes grand am.

Put racing drivers in basic road cars that have no value (I don't know, Kia's or something equally rubbish) let them crash into each other and it looks great...

Didn't brumos win Daytona (there biggest race) with a car that was well under the weight limit and didn't get thrown out??
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 am

Quote :
Slow

Which they arenít, 190 mph down a straightaway is plenty fast. It is interesting how you never back up any of your claims. A Grand Am DP at Mid-Ohio qualified a faster time than the fastest GTE car did last year, which puts your theory of a DP struggling to keep up with a GTE car to bed.

Iím not really interested in ultimate speed, anyway, because it makes no visible difference to me. Hard, fierce racing is far more important than cornering speeds.

Quote :
Ugly

Thatís subjective, but the Corvette DP in particular looks nice imo. Most importantly, they look unique. Thereís no point of flowing a heard, Grand Am cars stand out Ė which is important in such a saturated market.

P1 and P2 cars are hardly oil paintings, ACO prototypes are slowly getting uglier each year, with horrible looking aero and ridiculous scaffolding on the engine covers.

Quote :
Preformance balanced

And ACO-sanctioned categories are not? Artificial air restrictors, power limits, weight penalties all occur in ACO championships.
Grand Amís performance balancing works quite well, with almost every car in each category able to fight with other cars.

Quote :
Expensive

Proof of that? I donít see how the ACOís science experiment on wheels is affordable, which is shown by dwindling prototype fields Ė and pathetic attempts to invent new categories to disguise the problem.

Quote :
and have no prototype parts on them anywhere

How do you define a Ďprototype partí, where is the definition of that? You keep on listing unfounded claims, and stuff I really couldnít care less about.

My primary interests are hard, fierce racing and noise Ė which Grand Am provides me.

Quote :
Run by a series that allows you to cheat
Oh, bless.

Quote :
The drivers and more importantly the gt makes grand am.

Thereís nothing wrong with that, this is a sport where drivers make a big difference, so it should be that way. The lack of irrelevant green shit, traction control and other irrelevant nonsense displays the talent of the driver Ė not excessive aero and driver aids (sadly, like in P1/2 prototypes).

Quote :
Put racing drivers in basic road cars that have no value (I don't know, Kia's or something equally rubbish) let them crash into each other and it looks great...

You have very imaginative conspiracy theories, I must say. It might help to take your blinkers off occasionally and look at things more objectively.

Quote :
Didn't brumos win Daytona (there biggest race) with a car that was well under the weight limit and didn't get thrown out??

The officials decided there was no advantage gained. Plus, there is a strong tendency to keep the results if irregularities are minor, and dock points. When the spectators and viewers see a race, it isnít great to alter that result afterwards. Before you go on another one your conspiracy rampages, you should seek the full facts before making any more unfounded claims.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 am

perhaps I am alms biased... I do try not to be but hey...

I get frustrated at things like the two safety cars that were at Spa. it the worst possible system. I feel the same way about the Montoya moves, to me they weren't fair (I know you feel different). IMO he should have gotten penalties for both of them and didn't. I have no problem with a little wheel banging, it's a good thing.

I doubt an alms guy will ever agree with a grand am guy about sportscar racing?

The corvette DP is quite pretty.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 am

I think weíre all biased, just depends to what extent. Itís probably impossible not to be biased.

Are you talking about Spa 24? They kept the Pace Car out for way too long in the night.

Iím not really a Grand-Am or ALMS guy, tbh. I like both series, ALMS always used to be comfortably ahead of Grand-Am for entertainment. But every Grand-Am race so far has been outstanding, so Iím slowly changing my mind.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:23 am

yep, they kept it out massively too long, but worse than that they used two. So you get the restart battling or closing up the race. Code 60 or one pace car arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why can't european series do safety/pace cars.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 am

Absolutely, when IndyCar/NASCAR sorts out the order for restarts, itís so seamless I donít see it happening. In European racing, oh dear, itís just a big hassle and everything happens in slow-mo.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:24 am

Sharworks has pulled the #8 from grand am for the season

I did say they should. And rumours of another car gone too...

I don't think thats just soup grapes either, there only 11 points back in the championship. I hope this means the hpd is coming to alms...
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Iíd say Starworks still has a brilliant chance at the title. With the amount of dust ups in DP, one of their rivals is likely to be in a hedge, with them collecting the points. Thatís one aspect of Grand-Am I do like. There are drivers who race/defend aggressively 100 % of the time, but the SunTrust team lose out sometimes. Running cleanly and smoothly can net a lot of points.

Iím really looking forward to Watkins Glen, the NASCAR short course. Great overtaking opportunities on a brilliant track. Short track and short tempers lolol!

Motors TV should be applauded. Both Nationwide and Grand-Am live at the Glen.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:55 pm

I didnít realise that Grand Am is at Laguna Seca tomorrow. Motors TV are showing this live, something to keep me occupied tomorrow evening.

I donít think Iíve seen a Grand Am race around Laguna, it should be entertaining.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 am

No I have to choose nfl and grand am, and I think grand am's going to loose

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:29 am

race in 09 and 2011 at laguna seca.

should be good race, i was watching the women tennis final catch up on Grand-am TV

who is your Team CT?
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:37 am

MotorracingP wrote:
race in 09 and 2011 at laguna seca.

should be good race, i was watching the women tennis final catch up on Grand-am TV

who is your Team CT?

I don't have one yet. That's going to take time as I've only ever seem a couple of games. Maybe Seattle but I really have no idea, it'll change a few times yet.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Grand Am finale at Lime Rock today. I think there will be some fierce, intense racing going on.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   

Back to top Go down

Grand Am Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7