Grand Am Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 am

Grand-Am returns to one of those truly great race tracks this weekend, the Road America round will commence shortly after 5 pm, UK time. After that, the NASCAR Nationwide Series is racing at Road America. Those big, heavy cars on this course is one of my highlights of the racing calendar.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am

is it live in the USA?
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:45 am

It must be, because Motors TV lists it as live, and they get their coverage from Speed. No Live Speed coverage = no live Motors coverage.
Grand-Am races usually start later in the afternoon, but it starts earlier because of the Nationwide race.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:42 am

great race.

Ricky taylor again oh dear. 2nd mistake in 3 races.........

Well done to the 01 back on it but still tight in the points. what a call.

Ferrari winning again. car is proving to be brilliant.

awesome battle on the last lap with the Box and the corvette
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:14 am

That Porsche crash in the kink was freighting, the impact even ripped all the windows out. Not a corner for the faint-hearted. Iím surprised why more cars didnít use that lenghy Caution to get fuel, it seemed like a golden opportunity that Ganassi recognised.

In my opinion, Ganassi just keep on chipping away and racking up those points. The others may be faster, but it staggers me how many points they throw away in most races.

I cannot wait for Indianapolis, where Ganassi are entering another car for Montoya and McMurray. Thatís going to be epic. I really hope Tony Stewart in racing as well.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:09 am

Six hours at Watkins Glen International this weekend, and at the full course as well. Iím really forward to this, especially with Bourdais being entered.

Beautiful circuit and a great series. Even after six hours they'll be nose-to-tail lol.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:01 am

should be a good race. couple of strong drivers added.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Well done to the 9 action express. Played it well all race. Getting the 3hour mark points and the win.

unlucky for 01 car

90 was unlucky as well.

the crash one of the re-starts was nasty he hit the inside wall on the start finish start hard. People saying things need to be look at.

Indy next. should be good race!
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:08 am

With regards to the restart, nothing needs to be looked at. Keating misjudged the car in front, thatís his problem, not the race trackís or restarts. Alex Gurney must be pretty annoyed that he left the inside open for Barbosa, as Gurney turned out to be faster at the end. Having the lead cars separated by two tenths of a second after six hours was pretty amazing.

It was really interesting in GT, too. The Turner car really closed up on the Camaro on the straightaways, but lost out in the corners. A great race on such a lovely circuit.

To have three great series around Indianapolis on the same weekend will be a treat.

I'm starting to think that Grand-Am is the best series in motor racing right now. Every race is exceptional, and the finishes are brilliant considering the races are long.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:55 am

I really cannot wait for this Indianapolis round, itís great that Grand Am will race at the greatest track of all time. Címon Montoya.
A little Friday night racing to enjoy.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:05 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
greatest track of all time

seriously??????????????????????????????????????

It's got a lot of history but no one is claiming the oval is a great race track surely? And the road course is certainly nothing special.

Ifyou'd said greastest race venue, i'd argue Le mans might be greater but thats would be the only other consideration.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 am

Venue? Yes it is. And I only share what many others think. Indianapolis is a unique oval and very unforgiving. The Indianapolis 500 is the most breath taking race to watch; the sheer speed, danger and driver input literally make it ďthe greatest spectacle in racingĒ. Itís hard to argue against the worlds most attended single day sporting event.

I love all motorsport, donít get me wrong. But there is something so sensational seeing cars go 220 mph +, run side-by-side, then dial back the throttle in the turns.

The only real stand out section at La Sarthe is the Porsche curves, and the chicanes on the Mulsanne straight are pathetic. If weíre talking road courses, the Nurburgring thrashes La Sarthe. La Sarthe cannot hold a candle to the Nord.

Indianapolis is a completely unique oval, in terms of having distinct turns, its banking, its shape, the narrow front-stretch, surface Ė everything. There isnít one feature that is on other tracks.

I loved Montoya roughing up Daziel, that was brilliant. He can bitch all he wants, but JPM was alongside him. Dazielís team trying to make out like JPM did that on purpose was pathetic; they have to accept their driverís misjudgement.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:23 am

You can thank bernie for the chicanes in the mulsane straight. And they area bad joke. Before that cars were regularly doing 240+ mph and the wr Peugeot did over 250 mph.

As a track the nordschleife is better than le mans. But an oval is not a great race track. However Indy is a very special place.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:45 am

I think Nordschleife v La Sarthe partially comes down to publicity, and therefore awareness. The Nordschleife is the most glorious and arguably difficult road course that exists.

I wouldnít agree that ovals donít make good tracks. I donít see how driving around Indianapolis, Martinsville, Phoenix in a downforce-limited car is less challenging than a road course.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:34 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
I think Nordschleife v La Sarthe partially comes down to publicity, and therefore awareness. The Nordschleife is the most glorious and arguably difficult road course that exists.

I wouldnít agree that ovals donít make good tracks. I donít see how driving around Indianapolis, Martinsville, Phoenix in a downforce-limited car is less challenging than a road course.

Agree
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 am

Watching highlight, plus putting off sleep. The Paul Tracy restart penalty was massive bullshit (about 45-50 minutes to the end)
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 am

Talking of bullshit where's the penalty for Montoya for taking out the 9 car?

This is why grand am will never be a real competitor with alms. Cheating in grand am is legal? #gandambullshit
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 am

Ganassi cheat in grand am and get away with it and there not the only ones either. It's none sense, you can tell its a NASCAR series.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:00 pm

From what I could see of the Montoya dalziel crash it was montoya's fault. And Montoya should have flicked for taking out the 9 car.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 pm

didn't see any of the race but saw starworks owner rant! great it was.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Peter Barron is a good guy. Although why starworks haven't dropped grand am I don't know. The p2 honda there running in the wec is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run (and a lot faster) than a Daytona prototype is.

#costcappingcapscosts
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 am

i think the should head ALMS next year. i know not enough teams in Prototypes but still great series.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 am

Jeremy Aardvark wrote:
Talking of bullshit where's the penalty for Montoya for taking out the 9 car?

This is why grand am will never be a real competitor with alms. Cheating in grand am is legal? #gandambullshit

ALMS has excellent racing, which I thoroughly enjoy. However, Grand-Am now beats ALMS hands down for sheer excitement. Grand Am didnít interest me in its interception, but the quality of the cars, equipment has stepped up Ė and thatís combined with the fiercest racing Iíve seen.

In all of racing right now, Grand Am puts a huge smile on my face. It simply has the most entertaining racing out there.

As for JPM, Daziel turned in on Montoya. Daziel needed to take off the blinkers and realise Montoya was partially alongside. Thereís a fine line between defending and being ridiculous, and the guys that JPM were racing against would turn into the corner, despite JPM having a nose alongside. Daziel had a choice of backing out, but chose to turn in - that's his deal.

In particular with Daziel, he should have thought about his championship, rather than a half-hearted turn in. JPM is the kind of guy where if someone blocks excessively Ė heíll dump you. Simple as.

I would go as far in saying that Grand Am has produced the best on-track product Iíve ever seen. Every race has been outstanding, I donít recall a dull race. I like the fact that they rough each other up. After all, thatís what bumpers are there for. Wink

Quote :
The p2 honda there running in the wec is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run (and a lot faster) than a Daytona prototype is.

The speed is irrelevant, I couldnít care less if a car is two seconds a lap quicker. As a viewer, I cannot tell the difference. What matters is entertaining racing, which the DPís provide.

Letís be frank here, whilst ALMS should be commended for retaining a decent field (well, compared to ELMS), itís really declined since its the peak of 07, 08 and 09. I was watching the Mid-Ohio round, and yikes, the prototype fields are pathetic and theyíve invented categories to prop up the grid. GT is as good as ever, but the rest is rather average.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 am

Can I put it this way, if I was running a grand am team, I'd have two cars one to win the race and other to take the rest of the field out and apparently grand am think that's fair. As for Montoya getting his nose inside, in just about every other racing series he'd get pulled for it, there was no way to the move on the nine car would have stuck, ever. It was already at the apex when Montoya attacked it. It's just cheating simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:53 am

It's not just slower, a daytona prototype would struggle to keep up with a gte/gt3 car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grand Am Thread   

Back to top Go down

Grand Am Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next