Share | 

Le Mans 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

Location : The damp cold sticky moist regions of Southern Bucks!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:36 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
But cannot TV equipment be nicked on Saturday and Sunday too?

Would you like to think that through before I or someone else gives a sarcastic answer lol!

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 am

24 wrote:
MotorracingP wrote:
There is talk that toyota don't expect to finish... And Audi and Toyota have already pick there lead cars who they want to win or lead!

They are expecting to go all out and break the cars so they have said confused

No just Toyota they don't expect to finish but is that just blowing smoke....

Already blew an engine when I mean blew I mean blew......from what has been said.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 am

Oi cheeky, but you will anyway. Laughing

But that was the point I was making, I don’t see how Wednesday and Thursday are safer than the weekend.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:44 am

Being naturally aspirated, one might expect the Toyota engines to have a reliability advantage in terms of no turbo's to worry about. Not so it seems.

Back to top Go down
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:46 am

Mobil 1 wrote:

But that was the point I was making, I don’t see how Wednesday and Thursday are safer than the weekend.

lol! Yeah I will

Basically m8, the cameras or equiptment will dissapear once the circuit is reopened to the public. The dodgy pikies that are around is crazy and they will take anything that is not screwed down. Hence the cameras and equiptment is only put in overnight and into Saturday morning so it is not left unattended overnight. The reason why it stays there on Saturday and Sunday is due to the cameras being used Wink

I think that should cover it

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 am

24 wrote:
Mobil 1 wrote:

The reason why it stays there on Saturday and Sunday is due to the cameras being used Wink

You cheeky git. lol! I do understand that point, just about. Laughing

That does make a lot of sense, but being “closed”, is it possible for some nutter to run through the forest on the long straight, and access the equipment that way? Or is that guarded off? It’s not like that area is part of the permanent track.

Some race tracks in my opinion are not very well protected. As an example, a lot of times at Brands Hatch you can stroll about where the hell you please, even when your not supposed to, well, or at least I can.

Back to top Go down
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 am

lol! welcome

You could get some nutter going in the forest to get to it, but there are so many marshals and police around during the race you cannot get anywhere near the edge, you soon get told to go away. I know 100% of this Wink

When there is no action though you can't have the cameras there as you'd get people stopping their cars and basically removing them without anyone there to stop them

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:10 am

The French do seem to have a penuche for nicking things and creating mess, like their annual joy riding in Paris. I always wondered about the security along the straight, because it looks relatively exposed and lonely - guess TV is deceptive.

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 am

Spotters Guide is up
http://tinyurl.com/d7qyb2z

Sky Sports are now showing highlights from last years race, they seem to be taking a interest this year because of Brundel taking part i suppose.

I may miss the start of the race this year though Sad

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Andre Lotterer set the pace again in the first night qualifying session at Le Mans with a spectacular 3m25.453s lap in the #1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro, 1.083 seconds ahead of traffic-baulked team-mate Tom Kristensen.

Lotterer nailed his lap after the clock ran down, with an eyeballs-on-stalks effort that could have been even quicker had he not encountered the double-whammy of two squabbling prototypes at the end of the Mulsanne Straight and a Porsche at Arnage.

The majority of Audi's drivers filed their fast laps early in the session before settling down to a programme of long runs. Kristensen found a clear lap to go round in 3m26.536s for the early benchmark time in the #2 R18 e-tron quattro, in which Allan McNish then completed a full race stint.

The only apparent departure from the plan came when Marcel Fassler had a brief off in the #1 car, incurring minor bodywork damage. Lotterer resumed normal service however by putting the car top with his late flyer.

With 20 minutes to run Loic Duval went out on a mission in the #3 Audi, setting a purple first sector before ending the lap in 3m26.694s, which would stand as second quickest until the closing moments. Traffic on subsequent laps precluded him from improving.

Kristensen returned to the cockpit of #2 with 10 minutes to go but the circuit was busy with other cars attempting final glory runs and he could not find a clear lap.

Nicolas Lapierre was the early pacesetter for Toyota, posting a 3m27.191s in the #7 before handing over to Kazuki Nakajima for the Le Mans rookie to complete his night qualifying run. That time stood as the car's quickest until the end of the session, making it fourth overall ahead of the #4 Audi of Rockenfeller/Jarvis/Bonanomi.

Following its engine change the #8 TS030 Hybrid returned to the circuit with Stephane Sarrazin at the wheel 40 minutes into the session, setting a 3m30.183s before Sarrazin handed over to Anthony Davidson. With 25 minutes of the session to run Davidson went for a fast run and improved the car's fastest time to 3m28.295s, before Sebastien Buemi closed out the session.

Sixth fastest and best-of the-rest was the #21 Strakka HPD shared by Jonny Kane, Danny Watts and Nick Leventis, 7.297s off Lotterer's benchmark.

LMP2 was hotly contested again, with just two seconds covering the top six. Le Mans veteran Christophe Tinseau's 3m39.252s in the #46 TDS Racing ORECA-Nissan stood as the quickest for the majority of the session, with the #48 Murphy ORECA-Nissan next fastest on 3m39.877s.

Chevrolet spent most of the session on top in GTE Pro, with the #74 Gavin/Westbrook/Milner car holding court by less than two tenths of a second from the #59 Luxury Racing Melo/Makowiecki/Farnbacher Ferrari - both banking quick laps in the first hour. The other factory Corvette of Garcia/Magnussen/Taylor was a second further adrift and Stefan Mucke stepped up the pace in the final hour with a 3m57.466s to go fourth for Aston Martin with 30 minutes remaining.

Once again the #79 Flying Lizard Porsche set the pace in GTE Am with a fastest lap of 3m57.594s. American Le Mans Series veteran Spencer Pumpelly spent much of the session at the wheel, consistently lapping comfortably faster than the other class entries as the gentleman drivers essayed their mandatory night qualifying laps.

Michael Krumm achieved his ambition of breaking into the 3m42s with the DeltaWing Nissan, setting a time of 3m42.612s before riding a kerb too aggressively. This dislodged the car's fire extinguisher, which disrupted the DeltaWing's electrics and brought it to an immediate halt.

Neither the #16 Pescarolo LMP1 nor the #51 AF Corse Ferrari GTE Pro entry took part in the session. Both were undergoing repairs after incidents during practice.

Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. P1 Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer Audi e-tron 3m25.453s
2. P1 Capello/Kristensen/McNish Audi e-tron 3m26.536s
3. P1 Dumas/Duval/Gene Audi Ultra 3m26.694s
4. P1 Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima Toyota 3m27.191s
5. P1 Bonanomi/Jarvis/Rockenfeller Audi Ultra 3m27.554s
6. P1 Davidson/Buemi/Sarrazin Toyota 3m28.295s
7. P1 Leventis/Watts/Kane Strakka HPD 3m32.750s
8. P1 Belicchi/Primat/Bleekemolen Rebellion Lola-Toyota 3m33.140s
9. P1 Prost/Jani/Heidfeld Rebellion Lola-Toyota 3m33.211s
10. P1 Ara/Minassian/Bourdais Pescarolo Dome-Judd 3m34.716s
11. P1 Brabham/Chandhok/Dumbreck JRM HPD 3m37.088s
12. P1 Moreau/Baguette/Kraihamer OAK Pescarolo-Judd 3m38.414s
13. P2 Beche/Thiriet/Tinseau TDS ORECA-Nissan 3m39.252s
14. P2 Firth/Hughes/Hartley Murphy ORECA-Nissan 3m39.877s
15. P2 Potolicchio/Dalziel/Kimber-Smith Starworks HPD 3m40.639s
16. P2 Briere/Petersen/Nakano Boutsen ORECA-Nissan 3m40.727s
17. P2 Nicolet/Lahaye/Pla OAK Morgan-Judd 3m40.902s
18. P2 Dolan/Hancock/Kurosawa Jota Zytek-Nissan 3m41.287s
19. P2 Sims/Buurman/Iannetta Status Lola-Judd 3m41.451s
20. P2 Heinemeier Hansson/Leinders/Martin OAK Morgan-Nissan 3m41.721s
21. P2 Martin/Charouz/Graves ADR ORECA-Nissan 3m41.791s
22. P2 Perez-Companc/Ayari/Kaffer Pecom ORECA-Nissan 3m41.916s
23. P2 Ordonez/Brundle/Brundle Greaves Zytek-Nissan 3m42.125s
24. P2 Panciatici/Ragues/Rusinov Signatech ORECA-Nissan 3m42.157s
25. P2 Tucker/Bouchut/Diaz Level 5 HPD 3m42.224s
26. CDNT Franchitti/Krumm/Motoyama Highcroft Delta Wing Nissan 3m42.612s
27. P2 Mailleux/Lombard/Tresson Signatech ORECA-Nissan 3m44.495s
28. P2 Zugel/Gonzalez/Julian Greaves Zytek-Nissan 3m47.408s
29. P2 Holzer/Schultis/Moro Kodewa Lola-Lotus 3m48.067s
30. P2 Frey/Hirschi/Meichtry Race Performance ORECA-Judd 3m48.124s
31. P2 Giroix/Johansson/Badey Gulf Lola-Nissan 3m50.526s
32. P2 Haezebrouck/Thirion/Papin Extreme Limite Norma-Judd 3m51.012s
33. GTE P Gavin/Milner/Westbrook Corvette 3m55.910s
34. GTE P Makowiecki/Melo/Farnbacher Luxury Ferrari 3m56.076s
35. GTE P Taylor/Garcia/Magnussen Corvette 3m57.181s
36. GTE P Fernandez/Mucke/Turner Aston Martin 3m57.466s
37. GTE P Bertolini/Beretta/Cioci AF Corse Ferrari 3m57.509s
38. GTE A Neiman/Pilet/Pumpelly Flying Lizard Porsche 3m57.594s
39. GTE P Lieb/Lietz/Henzler Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 3m57.648s
40. GTE P Alfaisal/Curtis/Edwards IMSA Porsche 3m58.035s
41. GTE P Bergmeister/Long/Holzer Flying Lizard Porsche 3m58.717s
42. GTE A Simonsen/Nygaard/Poulsen Aston Martin 3m58.725s
43. GTE A Bornhauser/Canal/Lamy Larbre Corvette 3m59.192s
44. GTE A Ried/Roda/Ruberti Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 3m59.529s
45. GTE A Armindo/Narac/Pons IMSA Porsche 4m00.332s
46. GTE A Ehret/Montecalvo/Jeannette Luxury Ferrari 4m00.849s
47. GTE P Walker/Cocker/Wills JMW Ferrari 4m00.883s
48. GTE A Bourret/Gibon/Belloc Larbre Corvette 4m03.021s
49. GTE A Rodrigues/Ferte/Illiano JMB Ferrari 4m04.416s
50. GTE A Perazzini/Cadei/Griffin AF Corse Ferrari 4m04.493s
51. GTE A Krohn/Jonsson/Rugolo Krohn Ferrari 4m04.698s
52. GTE A Kauffman/Aguas/Vickers AF-Waltrip Ferrari 4m04.861s
53. GTE A Camathias/Daniels/Palttala JWA Porsche 4m08.170s
54. P2 Deletraz/Ihara/Quick Gulf Lola-Nissan 4m14.086s
55. P1 Collard/Boullion/Hall Pescarolo-Judd 3m39.656s
56. GTE P Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander AF Corse Ferrari 3m57.735s

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:58 am

Toyota is saying that the rules favour diesel. I’m not saying that isn’t true, but adding turbo’s to their engine would go a long way in clawing back the torque deficit to the diesels. NA v Turbo engine isn’t a straight fight, but when Toyota chose to not have turbo’s – they decide their fate from there.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:50 am

But they have a lot less capacity if they have a turbo.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:00 am

The Toyota will pass the Audi in a straight line with ease.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:13 am

True, but turbo engines are less dependent on engine capacity for extra power and torque. As you know, a small turbocharged engine can pack a mighty punch compared to a large NA motor. However, it is very artificial that diesel turbo cars get more capacity than petrol turbo cars. The ACO shouldn’t need to protect diesel, let’s see which power genuinely is fastest.

I hope that a privateer team will run BMW’s M3 GT next year, and Chrysler returns with their GTE Viper. GT is lacking a little variety this year. Somehow, the R8 LMS needs to race at La Sarthe too.

Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:57 am

Quotes from AUDI

"We have finished the qualifying session without any incidents"

Quotes after qualifying.

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "I think it's great that we have taken the front row for Audi. Our e-tron quattro is like expecting a little faster than the Audi R18 ultra. And we have seen that our competitors, Toyota is close. Nevertheless, we have the edge - this is not necessarily important for the race, but it is a good base, and above all, a good motivator for the team that has worked so hard for it. "

Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest): "We have finished the qualifying session without any incidents. In all four cars, the vote is successful. All drivers are convinced that we have a good race car. They were consistently fast. We are also with all the cars gone once each with less fuel and fresh tires on hunting time. This has led some work better, less in others - partly because the traffic is a problem on the track. Toyota has finally unpacked and again fresh tires. They were very fast way. Congratulations on third place: This is the first use of respectable. They have shown that they can not be forgotten in the race. Thanks to our team that has some perfectly prepared the cars during night shifts. This gives drivers the appropriate trust. "

Marcel Fässler (Audi R18 e-tron Quattro # 1): "First of all I have to André (Lotterer) Congratulations on this super-round! He has countered again, after we had pushed Loic Duval in the meantime from the top - that was really cool. I'm really proud of him. The car is good. I have night and day found a good rhythm and I'm really confident because our e-tron Quattro R18 is easy to drive fast - and that's very important for a 24-hour race. "

André Lotterer (Audi R18 e-tron Quattro # 1): to bring "The Pole at Le Mans is a cool feeling. Of course, happen in the race much, but our performance is enough to show that we have with our e-tron Quattro R18 a strong car. Thanks go also to the team that has worked hard for it for a year. I have a new set of tires and get hit by a clear lap, I have used. It's good to know that the speed is there, because the competition never sleeps. Toyota has shown towards the end of the session, what they can do. We now have a good starting position and the mechanics of a handsome reward for their hard work and efforts in recent days given. "

Benoît Treluyer (Audi R18 e-tron Quattro # 1): "We are very pleased with the qualifying. Everything went according to plan: André (Lotterer) has managed to drive a fast lap in order to secure a front grid. Then we again looked after the race set-up of our car. We found a good setup and are confident for the race. For it is always good if you start with a car in a 24-hour race with which one gets along well. "

Romain Dumas (Audi R18 Ultra # 3): "The good work we do for two days, has continued to the end of qualifying. We have once again worked a lot on the ballot. Our Audi R18 ultra is really good. We had not expected so close to being the best time so far is the front row a really good result for us. Now we start the race from the far front. That's a good sign. "

Loïc Duval (Audi R18 Ultra # 3): "That was a good qualifying. We are happy and feel well prepared for the race. Of course we would like to have brought the best time, but the Audi R18 e-tron quattro is here at Le Mans just a bit better. In this respect, the best time for the car number, 1 'is well deserved, because they are fast since the day of testing. For us it is very good, but to start second. Even over the distance we have achieved good results. "

Marc Gene (Audi R18 Ultra # 3): "I am very satisfied. We have worked hard and invested a lot of power into the race preparation. Loïc (Duval) has focused on qualifying and drove a good lap. That makes me optimistic for the race. Second place is better than I expected. The race is long and hard. Our work was good and the car behaves very well. "

Dindo Capello (Audi R18 e-tron Quattro # 2): "Congratulations to André (Lotterer), which has given the Audi R18 e-tron quattro second fastest time, after Allan (McNish) had succeeded in Spa. This was a positive conclusion. We have tested tires at the first attempt to be prepared for the race and a clear picture of the tire to have a choice. At the beginning of the last session put Tom (Kristensen) on his best lap in traffic. We then have the car tuned only to the race and gained a good impression. "

Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 e-tron Quattro # 2): "It was a good day for us. We focused on the vote for the race. Our Audi has worked well in my stint after 22 clock I could go on new tires good lap times. We expect strong competition and look forward to a big race. And of course congratulations to Andre (Lotterer) for a perfect pole! "

Allan McNish (Audi R18 e-tron Quattro # 2): "First of all, congratulations to Andre (Lotterer) and his guys, that was a great performance. For us, the day was much better today than yesterday - certainly the one hand because of the better track conditions, but mainly because we have worked out a good setup for the race. The competition is tight and together we are in the middle. So it looks as if we were to experience an exciting race. "

Marco Bonanomi (Audi R18 Ultra # 4): "It was a good qualifying for us although it was not a proper qualifying, really: We have tried on both days of working for the race and are driven more stints at a time to to see how the tires work. Our time is okay, given that fact, even if it is slightly slower than the other cars. But the starting place at Le Mans is not so important. We found a good rhythm and are ready for the race. "

Oliver Jarvis (Audi R18 Ultra # 4): "Of course I know that the starting position is not for a 24-hour race is important, but I'm still disappointed with our sixth place. We had the makings for a place in the first two rows, but have never caught a very clear lap - but that's just at Le Mans. We know we have a good car for Saturday and Sunday. And we are optimistic. "

Mike Rockenfeller (Audi R18 Ultra # 4): "Congratulations to the team with the starting number one, which is back on the pole - that was a great performance. I'm happy with our qualifying, we are much moved, had no problems and are all happy with the setup of the car. I am optimistic for the race, as Oliver (Jarvis), Marco (Bonanomi) and I harmonize very well and have the same feeling for the car. The starting position is, therefore, for us only once secondary. "

Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:44 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
I hope that a privateer team will run BMW’s M3 GT next year, and Chrysler returns with their GTE Viper. GT is lacking a little variety this year. Somehow, the R8 LMS needs to race at La Sarthe too.

Both Pro and Am categories consist of 2 Aston V8s, 4 Corvettes, 9 458s and 7 911s. So yes, the M3 (or if not, the Z4), Viper and R8 would be more than welcome. Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm rooting for Strakka this year, as well as the #1 Audi and the DeltaWing.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 am

The Z4 is actually more powerful than the M3 GT. It’s not that surprising, considering they use the same motor – albeit in different capacities. Usually GT is stuffed full of different cars, this year its mainly the usual Ferrari’s and Porsche’s as you suggest.

Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Wet for the morning warm up
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Just watching the legends race there, yikes, those cars must be properly scary in the wet. Unlike their modern counterparts, there isn’t any traction control to scoop up wheel slip.

I would like a wet start to the race, maybe there might be a safety car period? I think Audi wants maximum promotion for this race, so the ACO should call the safety car simply to get TV coverage for the RS5.

I will definitely need a safety car period to go to the toilet, have dinner etc. The ACO need to take viewers lifestyle’s into account.

Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Going to miss both the start & the finish this year, the start i didn't mind to much as i am going to watch the re-release of Jaws at the cinema, but i have just been informed that i will be going out for a meal tomorrow lunchtime Mad

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:13 pm

i might have to miss the end. as i am shooting go karting race, the fact that the changed the date to 17th is stupid.....which means i have to miss over night stuff. Sad thats where all happens.

Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm

i should be able to see the start for about 5 mins, but i will miss about the last one & half hours.

Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm

ready for the start now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm

It's about to start GO

Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Le Mans 2012   Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:00 am

GO GO GO