Donington 16/17th April

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Donington 16/17th April   Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 pm

This weekend BTCC returns to Donington. I'm going to this round after giving Brands a miss. Read that Cal is too so will have to try catch up on Sunday.
This weekend will really see if the turbocars can keep their tyres going long enough to stay in front of the Chevy Cruze, the straights are likely to see them passing non turbo cars easily. It'll probably be cold and/or rainy, that's the usual weather for Donington.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 am

I think the turbocharged cars won't have the same advantage that they had at Brands Hatch. Brands Hatch is a point and squirt circuit, the slow turns leading onto the straights is where the torque of the turbo cars really sets them apart from the NA cars.

Donington has many fast and flowing corners, where handling and balance are more important. The turbo cars are heavier and lack engine braking, that is going to count against them in sections such as the Crainer Curves. At the quick corners that Brands did have, Plato would close up in the sections that required a quick change of direction - something that Donington demands a lot of. Donington is a fast circuit, but it doesn't have many slow corners leading onto full throttle sections like Brands does. It's the torque of the turbo cars that kill the NA cars, and that comes at low-end acceleration.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 am

Bring it on, i've been looking forward to this for a while, not been to Donington since 06 and its my fav track too of the ones i've been to, hopfully it just stays dry and we see some decent racing, and yeah we'll have to meet up on Sunday, not too fussed who wins aslong as its not Matt Neal or a Ford Laughing oh and hope the Clio grid is bigger too
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Donington has changed quite a bit since you last went then Cal, very limited access to the infield section now, Old Hairpin on the outside is probably best place left to view from, at least with no fences in the way. Old Hairpin might be a good place for action as the non turbos will need to overtake in the corners to beat the turbos. Plato and Neal clash somewhere then???
Clio grid was small at Brands, can see it being any bigger for Donington.
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 am

Gutted am not going, Would of loved to have met up again.

Have a good day out Nick and Cal.

They're should drop the clios and bring in something like the Mazda Mx5 or Caterham championship. I watched that from Oulton park on MotorsTV the other day and it was brilliant.

Expect plenty of action from the tourinc car boys and of course the usual stuff from the ginetta's.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sheddon pick up a win this weekend.

infact, race 1 - Sheddon
race 2 - Jackson
race 3 - Paul 'O'neil or Toc
Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am

I'll probs be at old hairpin anyway its where I used to be years ago as in 2002 haha but I love it up there get some decent aetion comming down the hill the round and yes i'm hoping for a Plato/Neal clash at that point, packing plenty of food and drink to keep me going, shame Steven can't make it though would have been great if he could have come too, mainly so I can take piss when a Focus crashes out haha, nah they'll probs do really well
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Calden wrote:
mainly so I can take piss when a Focus crashes out haha

well only Mat Jackson is a championship quality driver, Chilton may be a race winner, but TOC showed him how last year and was only held back by daddy Chilton's team. Neate and Griffin seem best known for crashing, so a 50% chance.

Just found out the YRC dome is at Coppice so a long bloody walk to get a free mug of tea. (Me and Elaine joined YRC this year). Anyway looking forward to this weeeken and catching up with Cal on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:32 am

Yeah i'm looking forward to meeting up again too on sunday, i'll give you a txt when we arrive and go from there i'll probs be there early again hoping to be there about 8
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Ok cool, still got the same number. Off for breakfast in a bit the off to the track to check things out today.
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Calden wrote:
shame Steven can't make it though would have been great if he could have come too, mainly so I can take piss when a Focus crashes out haha, nah they'll probs do really well

Razz

Looks nice weather for it.
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 am

Was very warm today, had the shorts on by 10am. First time the sun has appeared since 2006 at Donington BTCC iirc, its usually wet, cold and windy.
Roll on tomorrow. They've landscaped the outside of the Old hairpin, much steeper spectator bank now. Coppice has a raised bank as well. Quite good on the inside but no water supply for tea and only 6 portaloos for all the spectators. The trade area with merch is on the inside. Long bloody walk to Coppice round the outside of the track. Blisters on my feet.
Cal i don't have your number rely on you messaging me, might not hear it though, Steven sent me a text during quali and i didn't see it until the Clio's were on, and then the reply didn't send.
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 am

I got that text after 7pm. Laughing

I was wanting to know where about's you were, As on the qualifying coverage it kept showing shots of the crowd.

That new banking at the old hairpin was all mud when I was at Wsbk a few weeks ago lol.

Was the tunnel underneath the chicane not open?
Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:57 am

I'll message you when I arrive at track in morning, i'm just off to sleep now, setting off down at 6am hopfully theres no 50 zones on route, see you tomorrow, maybe haha
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Steven_85 wrote:

Yes it was, but you still can't get to Coppice from that way, cos the Exhibition centre is in the way, they need to open that, used to use the Dunlop bridge to get that way. The infield is way too much of a building site, the bridge under the track between Coppice and McLeans has never been finished off, just made safe so track can be used.
The Old Hairpin banking is still mud, not much in the way of grass has taken seed yet.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

boyhitscarpimp wrote:
Was very warm today, had the shorts on by 10am. First time the sun has appeared since 2006 at Donington BTCC iirc, its usually wet, cold and windy.

Shorts should be on all the time.

i might watch the coverage depends on the new GT endurance series.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 am

Rarely for BTCC, the first two races have been desperately boring. Also rarely, the F1 race was way, way more exciting.

I suppose BTCC redeemed itself in race two with two safety car periods, that definitely spiced up the show a bit.

Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:52 am

boyhitscarpimp wrote:
Steven_85 wrote:

Yes it was, but you still can't get to Coppice from that way, cos the Exhibition centre is in the way, they need to open that, used to use the Dunlop bridge to get that way. The infield is way too much of a building site, the bridge under the track between Coppice and McLeans has never been finished off, just made safe so track can be used.
The Old Hairpin banking is still mud, not much in the way of grass has taken seed yet.

The exhibition centre was open for WSBK as their had some of the merchandise stands in it. Good idea I thought.

So the only way there are letting you get to coppice is to walk all the way round from redgate? That's ridiculous.

Hope you guys have suncream with you, Otherwise you will end up looking like we did at Croft. I have enjoyed all the racing which I have managed to watch today, I think Sav is just upset because bmw aren't near the front anymore Laughing
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:05 am

That too, of course! Wink

But seriously, there just wasn't that much passing in either race like usual in BTCC. The normally aspirated cars are powerless to defend from the turbo cars, the NA entries may as well not turn up.

I wish the BMW's had the engine that the 320's run in WTCC, it's turbocharged and has 320 bhp - the BMW's would be winning once again.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 am

Great day yesterday, I loved it and sat on grass outside old hairpin plays hell with your arse Laughing was great to catch up with Nick again Very Happy, had an almighty treck round too, The Plato roll was top quality, Oh and the Marshall doing himself injury was pretty funny too running to help Plato he fell then hobbled a bit the fell back on floor, the ambulance showed up to cheak on Jason but got streacher out to cart the Marshall off.

Bad 3rd race for Aon, oh and I think the Airwaves Focus is faster than the new one, feel sorry for TOC too should have had a great result in that 3rd race but bad luck played a part, other than that the Golf had a good run
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:22 am

Good to hear you had a good day. The crash between Nette (SP?) and the white Vectra was hilarious in race three, two bonehead drivers proving their boneworthy status.

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:48 am

Oh yes the final crash of the day involving 2 not great drivers near the back, think Aon must be kicking themselves really for letting TOC go as he's far better
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 am

Ford Focus in your signature!!! What a Face affraid affraid affraid

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 am

Wondered who'd notice first Laughing
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 am

Maybe Steven should put a picture of a Renault Megane in his signature to return the compliment? Wink Laughing

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:28 pm

lol! Oh can live in hope I suppose, i'll be shocked if that happens
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donington 16/17th April   

Back to top Go down

Donington 16/17th April