Share | 

F3 - Snetterton

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laker
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: F3 - Snetterton   Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:46 am

Went to Snetterton today with my gf - it's only 50 minutes or so for me in Cambridge. My first F3 event for about four or five years when I last went to Snetterton.

The first F3 race started under wet conditions as it was drizzling for quite a while when we arrived so most of the field started on wets. Dias won with quite a mature drive at the front. Vergne was disappointing in 8th after starting on slicks - the track did dry out but too late for Vergne to make an impression. However, Will Buller had an impressive run to 3rd after starting on slicks and probably would have won if there'd been another lap - he was closing at a rate of about 2-3 seconds a lap towards the end and overtook 3 cars in the last 3 laps.

Second race was a bit of a procession but Buzaid drove well to win. He never looked like being caught. Vergne had a good run to second place but only just finished ahead of Calado in 3rd.

Got all the F3 drivers' autographs so successful day on that front too. Smile

The first GT race was pretty boring until the arrival of, guess what, a safety car after about 45 minutes which bunched the field up nicely and set up a good end to the race with loads of cation. The second GT race started well but got a bit processional and we left midway through as we wanted to get back home. The other races were pretty good, partciularly the second Formula Ford race which had four lead changes in the last 3 laps - the top 2 were really going for it.

All in all, good day's racing and nice to get out - I love Snetterton. Very Happy Next meeting for me will probably be Ford Festival in October.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F3 - Snetterton   Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 am

Laker wrote:

The first GT race was pretty boring until the arrival of, guess what, a safety car after about 45 minutes which bunched the field up nicely and set up a good end to the race with loads of cation.

This is the exact advantage of safety car periods, is the race spread out and no battles going on? Simple, just bring out the safety car to spice up the show - just say "safety car for debris" even if there isn't any debris.

New research suggests that bringing out the safety car increases the show by at least 50 %. I mean this is motor racing, its supposed to be entertainment!

Sounded like a good day, I must admit I have lost interest in Formula 3 cars in recent years. Too much downforce and not enough power for the racing to be truly good on a dry day. Maybe I need to watch British F3 again...

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Laker
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: F3 - Snetterton   Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 am

Sav 2 wrote:
Laker wrote:

The first GT race was pretty boring until the arrival of, guess what, a safety car after about 45 minutes which bunched the field up nicely and set up a good end to the race with loads of cation.

This is the exact advantage of safety car periods, is the race spread out and no battles going on? Simple, just bring out the safety car to spice up the show - just say "safety car for debris" even if there isn't any debris.

New research suggests that bringing out the safety car increases the show by at least 50 %. I mean this is motor racing, its supposed to be entertainment!

Sounded like a good day, I must admit I have lost interest in Formula 3 cars in recent years. Too much downforce and not enough power for the racing to be truly good on a dry day. Maybe I need to watch British F3 again...

I'm not a fan of endurance racing of any kind to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with the cars - there were some lovely Ferraris, a couple of Astons, a 911 and even a Mosler. But the racing is invariably poor. To be honest, GT racing doesn't aim to be packed with overtaking, it isn't its selling point, but an hour's race with no overtaking and the cars becoming more and more spaced out is just dull to me. I can cope with F1 as the cars tend to be running closely even when they aren't overtaking. This doesn't tend to happen in GT/sportscar races.

So the addition of the safety car was good in this instance. But I'm still against it in what I call part of the "pyramid" - ie Formula Ford, Formula Renault, Formula 3, Formula Nissan(or whatever its called now), GP3, GP2, F2 and F1 - they are a sport first and foremost, entertainment second. If Federer wins every game, we don't reset the scores halfway through, we merely celebrate the fact he's better. However, in "fun" tennis tournaments like Masters events, they can do what they like as entertainment is the aim as opposed to the sport. The purity of the competition needs to be retained and someone should not be punished for being quicker.

I agree about F3. I mean, it was a good event but the racing was poor in the second race when it was dry. The cars do have too much aerodynamic grip and aren't fast enough for drivers to make mistakes + it seems even more difficult to follow the car in front than in F1. I said what I said above about overtaking not being key but the cars should finish in order of who is quickest in the race - a quicker car further back should be able to overtake another rather than just following around a second behind. F3 doesn't achieve this yet.

The plus side is that I got to meet all the drivers. I was very impressed with Jean-Eric Vergne despite his poor showing in the first race. He just oozes class, confidence and style. I'll be staggered if he doesn't have a successful career somewhere in topline motorsport, even if it isn't in F1.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F3 - Snetterton   Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:13 am

I think it depends on what the endurance racing actually is. American Le Mans Series races, FIA GT races and Grand-Am races are usually good races with frequent wheel-to-wheel action. Itís the European Le Mans Series that I find as dull as watching paint dry, except when Audi, Peugeot and BMW compete (which is rarely). Sounds like British GT is similar from what you are saying, the Belgian GT series is a snooze as well.

I know what you mean though, the very nature of endurance racing means you sometimes have to wait for literally hours for some sort of on-track battle to occur. Of course, I donít expect it to be thrilling on a frequent basis Ė but the fact that certain endurance series races get very spread out and are almost entirely reliant on pit strategy cannot be ignored. Thatís what I like about F1 this year, the ban on refuelling means there isnít really much teams can do to leapfrog rival cars, drivers are pretty much forced to try and overtake.

In most cases, plenty of car diversity, plenty of innovation and road car relevant technology also doesnít translate into a better motor race, in fact, it does the opposite; it spreads out a field of cars even further due to vastly different speeds of cars to make a race even duller. Thatís why any sportscar series will always be second best to F1 in terms of worldwide popularity. Sportscar racing appeals to a few hardcore fans, but few else.

I think the F3 cars need turbo-chargers to boost the power to around 400 bhp, at the moment they have 220 bhp which is no where near enough, and with all that downforce they have its clear why the cars are glued to the track. Hence making mistakes are rare. More power would mean drivers would break the traction more, possibly leading to mistakes and overtaking Ė more driver control too. Cutting downforce levels would help too.

F1 cars produce in excess of 800 bhp, which is why in slow corners they are still wheel-spinning on the exits of corners Ė despite humungous levels of downforce.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F3 - Snetterton   

Back to top Go down

F3 - Snetterton
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1