MINI to enter WRC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: MINI to enter WRC   Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:04 am

Quote :
After months of speculation, Mini and Prodrive will announce a World Rally Championship programme this week, according to AUTOSPORT's sources.

Mini's first-ever World Rally Car, which will be based on the Countryman road car, has been in preparation for months at Prodrive's Banbury base and the BMW 1.6-litre turbocharged engine recently arrived to turn a rolling shell into a full World Rally Car. Testing of the new machine is expected to begin soon and, as technical director David Lapworth said, once it starts testing it will not stop.

"When we start testing on our rally car development programme, it will be intensive," said Lapworth. "We still have a good timescale to work towards for testing and we're happy with where we're at."

Some sources have indicated Mini will formally launch the car in Rome just ahead of the Rally d'Italia-Sardegna in May next season - the car is not expected to compete in any of the first four rounds of next year's World Rally Championship.

Prodrive has remained tight-lipped about any announcement this week, denying that it has anything planned. The British preparation firm has yet to even admit to any kind of agreement with BMW or Mini - even though AUTOSPORT broke the story of Mini's return to rallying's highest level in August last year.

Norwegian driver Mads Ostberg is being tipped to do some of the early development driving - and to take one of the factory seats in next year's WRC programme. Ostberg is a long-standing customer of Prodrive and is expected to run a Mini-based team in next year's WRC as well as driving an official car.

Ostberg has resisted the opportunity to drive any other cars in the WRC or Intercontinental Rally Challenge this season – including a Peugeot 207 S2000 after a test attended by Sebastien Loeb – out of loyalty to Prodrive.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85369

Awesome, a MINI Countryman with wide wheel arches would look brilliant. Hopefully if VW enter WRC as well, then there will be four manufactures fighting it out. The WRC really needs news like this. Glad that BMW will be participating in rallying.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:50 am

Why aren't they using the normal MINI instead of the Countryman?

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:22 am

Good question, I think BMW have decided to use the Countryman for two reasons. Firstly, the Countryman is a new model in the MINI range - so entering the WRC is a way of promoting the car to make the public more aware of the car. If BMW entered the hatchback model, there would be nothing new to promote - the MINI hatchback is being tweaked in September but the new hatchback doesn't get launched for another three years.

Secondly, rallying suits the Countryman's image - a soft off-roader with four wheel drive. In fact, its better then entering a Citroen C4 in rallying, because road car customers cannot buy a four wheel drive C4, they cannot even buy a hot hatch model. BMW will launch a JCW Countryman, with wide wheels and a powerful engine - so at least customers will be able buy something that slightly resembles the WRC car.

Back to top Go down
Nismo
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:15 am

Dont know why they bother, Citroen will dominate next season. Loeb, Ogier (And probably) Solberg and Sordo. No one else has a chance
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:41 pm

it's a stupid idea enter a countrymen in wrc, standard mini would be much better but still trashed by citreon.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:19 am

I'd imagine the DS3 will be no slouch when it starts racing for real next year.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:27 am

I can only hope that the new regulations next year will create a more level playing field. WRC is ultra boring at the moment with the Citroen domination and really only two makes of car.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:58 am

Its been officially confirmed: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85590

Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:08 am

That DS3 will be ace!! I want one but can't afford it
Also that Countryman whats the point? its a crap looking car (I went down to Scotthall BMW and saw one for real looks awful Laughing ) and with it in the WRC it'll just look stupid if it was gunna enter owt it should have summert like the Dakar Rally will fit in there
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 am

I hate the DS3, it looks a real mess with odd lines and curves in odd places. I agree I don't fully understand why the Countryman is going rallying, most probably because the Countryman has just been launched and BMW want to promote that. Where as the MINI Hatchback is going to be replaced soon, so there is nothing new to promote.

I like the Countryman, its got a superbly built interior and class-leading engines. The most important thing is that it will be a huge success.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:58 am

I like the ds3 looks great to me. I would have one tomorrow if I could.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:06 am

Nothing French for me, only German cars.

Back to top Go down
Nismo
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 am

Saw a DS3 on the road the other day, looked awesome. Sav, most people who drive German cars are complete wankers tbh, they think they own the road
Back to top Go down
French Fancy
Mr. Frenchie
Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:53 am

Sav 2 wrote:
I hate the DS3, it looks a real mess with odd lines and curves in odd places. I agree I don't fully understand why the Countryman is going rallying, most probably because the Countryman has just been launched and BMW want to promote that. Where as the MINI Hatchback is going to be replaced soon, so there is nothing new to promote.

I like the Countryman,its got a superbly built interior and class-leading engines. The most important thing is that it will be a huge success.

I thought it was a bit shit inside I sort of said I was interessted at Scotthall BMW Laughing so I got a sit in it and wasn't fully impressed, proberly cos i'm not a big fan of it, DS3 is a much better car and anyway the Mini Cooper S has the same engine as the DS3 anyway the same 1.6 Turbo
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:27 am

The DS3 brings nothing new to the market, its a boring copy of the MINI idea and will never, ever be as successful. Whatever anybody thinks of the MINI, its been hugely successful - and that is what matters.

Anyway, WRC could be great in the next couple of years. MINI V Ford v Citroen and VW are entering in 2012. Thank goodness, WRC is excruciatingly boring at the moment with the same car and driver winning and not much competition.

Back to top Go down
Nismo
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:43 am

All the manufacturers in the world can enter, aslong as Citroen still have Loeb and Ogier they are going to be winning.

"excruciatingly boring" lol no
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:17 am

Mini don't enter wrc for 2012

actually they just didn't put there entry in, in time. Looks like bmw are having second thoughs.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:37 am

It is rather peculiar isn’t it, why would the BMW Group develop an engine, commission Prodrive to build the car and then race it – only for them not to enter WRC – the very series they wanted to enter? Bizarre.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:53 am

i think bmw have decided that they don't need to race the mini as it sells itself.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:02 am

That's the case with most road cars, I question the value of motorsport for a lot of companies. Sure, it's advertising - but an extremely expensive form of advertising.

Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:53 am

Seems to me that BMW are sinking more money into the DTM project, with Prodrive being an 'unfortunate victim'.....
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:37 pm

That might well be the case.

I think some manufactures race because they want to or for pride, others race to prove them selves as company's or to prove technology's. As some manufactures race because people want to race there cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MINI to enter WRC   

Back to top Go down

MINI to enter WRC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1