Share | 

Start times of races

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:53 am

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I question the start time of most F1 races. Is early afternoon the best time to start the races, or is a late afternoon or early evening solution better?

I loved the start time of today's Canadian GP - evening start times feels so more special. I mean, more people will be watching TV on Sunday evening then Sunday afternoon - that is for sure. It would be a radical departure for the sport, but I reckon it is worth looking into - because I think that FOM would find that they would get bigger audiences in the evenings. If more races can be held in the day time, for example; 6 pm in Europe in the Summer months - then the races can still be held in daylight.

Look at Canada and Brazil - always great races and they are held in the evening in Europe.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:53 am

Am sorry Sav but I don't think that would work.

The only way I would agree is if the race was moved to a Saturday instead. It's not just the race you have to think about, But all the spectators, Transport etc. to go along with it.

The reason Canada and Brazil work is because of the timezones. It may be 5pm over here but it's Midday over in Canada. So if Canada held their race at 6pm it would be near 10pm/11pm over here and I think you would get less viewers because of it.

To be honest it doesn't matter what time a race starts, For me it's all down to the circuits. Notice how the old traditional circuits have provided better racing then the likes of Dubai, Qatar, China and the like.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Good thinking Steven, Saturday night races - I like it! NASCAR and IndyCar have Saturday night races quite often.

I do agree with circuit design. F1 is always great around Albert Park, Montreal and Brazil (overtaking friendly tracks) - and poor around the new longer Bahrain layout (possibly the unfriendliest overtaking track). The USGP used to be decent as well - it was at night and at a track with decent passing opportunities.

I think it would be cool to see an experiment in Europe.

Back to top Go down
Nismo
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:59 am

All races should start at 1pm UK time, regardless of the local time. I prefer that time much more then these evening times
Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't think the Aussies would be too pleased with a 1PM GMT start, to be honest... wouldn't that be about Midnight their time? And on a Monday morning to boot...

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 pm

right, so here we are at the apex at another bad idea. So i'm going to make it worse.

Motorsport is great. Even F1 makes anything that isn't motorsport look at bit rubbish. But other sports don't just play at the weekend. WHy is there not an F1 race on a Thursday evening once in a while?
Back to top Go down
Nismo
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 pm

seanmiller wrote:
I don't think the Aussies would be too pleased with a 1PM GMT start, to be honest... wouldn't that be about Midnight their time? And on a Monday morning to boot...

Sean

They'll have to deal with it then, like i care what a bunch of convicts think Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:58 am

just have it start at 1pm local time wherever the race is.

Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:02 am

I think every race should start at 1pm local time. There's something far more special about watching races at 4am, 1pm, 6pm etc than watching every race at the same time. The Japanese and Australian GPs should never take race at sensible European times - being slightly bleary eyed is part of the experience of watching both races. In the same vain, watching American races in the evening is part of the experience of watching F1.

Meh, I'm too much of a traditionalist to be happy with time changes - I'm pissed off enough that there's already night/evening races on the calendar.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:18 am

Cerca Trova wrote:

Motorsport is great. Even F1 makes anything that isn't motorsport look at bit rubbish. But other sports don't just play at the weekend. WHy is there not an F1 race on a Thursday evening once in a while?

Fantastic, I love the idea. You are right, who is to say that average joe are necessarily watching TV at 1 pm on a Sunday afternoon rather then a weekday evening?

Imagine the advertising slogan: "Watch the drivers come out on the streets at night" - it has a ring to it - this is a totally fantastic idea. I'll call Bernie.

Seriously though, the actual TV viewing patterns should be looked into - F1 is primarily about the TV audience (what almost all of F1's revenue relies on, in attracting sponsors, governments etc) - and it may be the case that the majority of people would rather watch a race on a week day evening, or a weekend evening. It is flawed to just assume that everybody prefers a 1 pm starting time - this should be researched.

And, I'm not just talking about pitch black races - late afternoon and evening races in Europe where it would be like day light. For example, holding a race at 6 pm in the UK now would be in broad daylight.

Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 pm

If you had a race on a Thursday night, when would you have Qualifying?

Surely one of the things about "race weekends" are that they are - erm - weekends, therefore they're a "whole package"?

Can't imagine it being the same if most people had to watch qualifying on a Wednesday evening, work all day Thursday and then watch the race.

Sean
Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 pm

I do agree, however, that it might be nice to see race weekends "start with a bang!" so what about having a third car for each team and a "pool" of retired "Champions" who draw lots to see which team they will be allocated to for the weekend.

The concept is this... after a "one lap qualifying" on Thursday at around 5pm there is a race in the evening (say 7pm, just to piss off the women who want to watch Emmerdale) between the "Champions" (perhaps 30 laps) and the top 3 finishers get to race the rest of the weekend.

You could have Mika Hakkinen, Damon Hill, Martin Brundle, Eddie Irvine, Nigel Mansell etc. - Stirling Moss might be stretching it a little, but I reckon Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi might be just about up to the job.

Imagine it - Damon Hill picks McLaren in the lottery and proceeds to win from Nigel Mansell in a Lotus. Come Sunday Damon is on fire, blasting them all away and finishing the race 50 seconds ahead on the track from the "second placed McLaren" of Jenson Button. Mansell, meanwhile, manages to score Lotus's first points, much to the chagrin of Heikki Kovalainen who mutters "they gave him a better car" ;-)

Sean
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Sav 2 wrote:
Cerca Trova wrote:

Fantastic, I love the idea. You are right, who is to say that average joe are necessarily watching TV at 1 pm on a Sunday afternoon rather then a weekday evening?

Imagine the advertising slogan: "Watch the drivers come out on the streets at night" - it has a ring to it - this is a totally fantastic idea. I'll call Bernie.

Seriously though, the actual TV viewing patterns should be looked into - F1 is primarily about the TV audience (what almost all of F1's revenue relies on, in attracting sponsors, governments etc) - and it may be the case that the majority of people would rather watch a race on a week day evening, or a weekend evening. It is flawed to just assume that everybody prefers a 1 pm starting time - this should be researched.

And, I'm not just talking about pitch black races - late afternoon and evening races in Europe where it would be like day light. For example, holding a race at 6 pm in the UK now would be in broad daylight.

remember where the check needs to come to.

The big advantage to getting the race away from the weekend is, everything else is racing sunday too. If f1 moves to Thursday, Maybe WTCC will move to every Monday (from March to October) and then I might get my Le Mans Series on tv somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Nothing wrong with any start times, the less night races the better, singapore should stand alone as fully dark and yas marina with the sun going down is good, other than that there is no need for any discussion on this imo
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwmsport/
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 am

According to Jake Humphrey's twitter, 7.4 million people watched the Canadian GP. Well that is around two million people more then watch the afternoon races in Europe - thats all the evidence one needs to conclude that evening races are more popular.

And look in 2005, the Canadian GP was the third most watched sport event in the entire world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Grand_Prix

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm

you should know by now how flaky these kinds of figures are. Silverstone reckon they get 110,000 to the british gp. The circuit iot now allowed to hold more than 80 to 90 thousand. So i'm going to ignore jake humphrey's twitter.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 pm

If you want to make the lunchtime races more exciting waiting for the race to start like we do for the tea time starts, just wake up earlier...............
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwmsport/
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:12 am

Cerca Trova wrote:
you should know by now how flaky these kinds of figures are. Silverstone reckon they get 110,000 to the british gp. The circuit iot now allowed to hold more than 80 to 90 thousand. So i'm going to ignore jake humphrey's twitter.

The figure was from BARB - the most known source for TV viewing ratings in the country.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Start times of races   

Back to top Go down

Start times of races
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1