20%
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Mach1
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:27 am

The Canadian GP is on this weekend and is one of my favourites as there's always plenty of action. Long straights and tight corners will put the brakes to a good test session, especially on full tanks. There's been some spectatular shunts in the last few years - Kubica for one as I remember.

Enjoy the race.

Mach1.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 am

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2010

After a two year absence, Formula One returns this weekend to North America in Canada for the Formula 1 Grand Prix Du Canada 2010 in the city of Montreal at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve. The Canadian Grand Prix marks the eighth round of the FIA 2010 Formula 1 World Championship.

The Formula One Canadian Grand Prix has been held at a number of circuits since the first race in 1961. However, the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve hosted the Canadian GP for 30 years up until 2008. The circuit is named after the late Gilles Villeneuve who tragically died in a racing accident. The man made island was specifically created for Formula 1 racing initially, however, the circuit has hosted Champ Car races, NASCAR races and Grand-Am races over the years. The Canadian Grand Prix is easily one of the most popular races on the calendar; there has been a sell-out crowd for years now with over 100,000 fans on race day – which shows the local residents passion for Formula 1 and motor racing. The circuit’s unforgiving walls, bumpy track surface and various overtaking opportunities often make this a very unpredictable and chaotic race. Which ensures that the Canadian Grand Prix is not only always a brilliant motor race, but the race is greatly welcomed by race fans after a two year absence.

Overtaking opportunities

This Montreal circuit has a number of key overtaking opportunities, that make this race very overtaking-friendly. The lap itself is one of the shortest on the calendar, but the long straights followed by heavy braking for chicanes is the reason why overtaking is frequent in this race – even with F1 cars. With no real fast sweepers, a driver can follow his opponent out of a corner and not loose too much downforce by following another cars dirty air – which gets worse with high speed corners.

Turn 1 is the first overtaking opportunity. The cars build up to approximately 185 mph before braking to just 84 mph. This is therefore a heavy braking zone that has a wide entry, we usually see this move pulled off if a driver has a poor exit off turn 13 by defending and taking a tight line – allowing a driver behind to take the optimum line through the final chicane and use his extra speed to pass his rival into turn 1. The next passing opportunity comes at turn 8. The drivers will build up to 190 mph and brake to just 74 mph for the chicane. Yet again, this is a corner that encourages overtaking. The hairpin of turn 10 is good passing place, mainly because of the severe braking to just 34 mph – and this just increases the variations in braking distances and is why overtaking is common here. Now the cars will power down the back straight to around 205 mph before braking to just 83 mph for turn 13. This is the biggest braking zone on the whole circuit according to Brembo, and with the high speeds achieved down the back straight and the speed taken in turn 13 – it is easy to see why.

What to watch for

Without doubt, multiple safety car periods and crashes frequently occur in the Canadian GP. The close walls mean drivers often slam the outside of the walls, such as the wall at turn 8. Recovering cars is difficult here, so the Mercedes-Benz safety car will be deployed in the event of most accidents. This could make or break a driver’s race, depending on if they have pitted or not. Brake failure towards the end of the race is not uncommon here. The high speeds and lack of run off area make the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve a genuinely dangerous track. Do not be surprised to see cars which do not usually score points or podiums actually in these positions, avoiding the usual craziness and carnage is a key element of this motor race.

Car requirements

The Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve is a complete departure in car requirements compared to most of the circuits that we have visited so far this year. In fact, the circuit has similar characteristics to those of Monza. With so many straights, straight line speed is essential at this track – this means that ultimate engine power and efficient aerodynamics are very important. Teams will bring flatter wings, for example – to increase straight line speed. A low downforce package is required, specifically considering there are very few high speed corners. This circuit is the most punishing one on brakes that we visit on the calendar; there are five major stops from high speeds into tight chicanes. This means that teams bring bigger brake ducts for this race, to allow more air to be channelled to the discs and caliper’s so they not overheat when under intense forces for 70 laps. The low downforce package means the braking contribution caused by aerodynamic drag will be reduced, putting even more burden on the braking systems. Brake failure is common in Montreal, and with 10 % more energy going through the braking systems with the cars being heavier and longer braking distances (source: Renault) – conservation of braking systems will be even more critical.

A soft suspension set-up is also required to ride the chicanes kerbing, and this will only happen with suspension that is complient that will not be overly sensitive to movement and will not bottom out – this will give drivers good mechanical grip which is critical for getting good exits out of all the circuit’s tight corners. Unlike Turkey, where drivers barley touch the kerbs – Montreal is the total opposite.

Tyre selections

Bridgestone will bring their super soft and medium compound tyres to Montreal. Although the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve is technically a permanent circuit, it is used as a parkland when motor racing is not on. This means that the surface becomes very dirty, and has similar low grip levels to a street circuit. Hence why Bridgestone have brought the softest compound in their range to Montreal. With so much emphasis put on slow speed cornering, tyre wear is very high – so the medium compound should be ideal for long race stints.

Video footage

Let’s see a flying lap of this Canadian circuit with Lewis Hamilton in his Mclaren-Mercedes MP4/22 driving to his first pole position in qualifying for the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix. As described by Martin Brundle.

Weekend schedule in UK time:

Fri 11 June 2010

Friday Practice 1 15:00 – 16:30
Friday Practice 2 19:00 – 20:30

Sat 12 June 2010

Saturday Practice 15:00 – 16:00
Qualifying 18:00

Sun 13 June 2010

Start of formation lap 17:00
Canadian Grand Prix race start 17:03

Full weekend schedule in Canadian time:

Thursday 10th June:

Promoter Activity Public Pit-lane Walk 09:00 - 12:00
Promoter Activity Drivers' Autograph Session 10:00 - 12:00
Formula One Press Conference - Press Room 11:00

Friday 11th June

Ferrari Challenge Practice Session (20 Mins) 08:50 - 09:10
Formula One Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Historic Grand Prix Practice Session (30 Mins) 11:55 - 12:25
Formula One Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30
Formula One Press Conference - Press Room 16:00 - 17:00
Ferrari Challenge Second Practice Session (20 Mins) 16:00 - 16:20
Formule 1600 Practice Session (30 Mins) 16:45 - 17:15

Saturday 12th June

Ferrari Challenge Qualifying Session (30 Mins) 08:00 - 08:30
Historic Grand Prix Qualifying Session (30 Mins) 08:45 - 09:15
Formula One Practice 3 10:00 - 11:00
Formule 1600 Qualifying Session (30 Mins) 11:15 - 11:45
Formula One Qualifying 13:00
Historic Grand Prix Two Laps With Pace Car 14:30 - 14:40
Historic Grand Prix Race (30 Mins) 14:40 - 15:10
Ferrari Challenge First Race (30 Mins) 15:40 - 16:10
Formule 1600 First Race (30 Mins) 16:30 - 17:00

Sunday 13th June

Formule 1600 Second Race (30 Mins) 08:25 - 08:55
Ferrari Challenge Second Race (30 Mins) 09:25 - 09:55
Formula One Drivers Parade 10:30
Formula One Starting Grid Presentation 10:45 - 11:15
Formula One National Anthem 11:46
Air Display CF18 Flypast 11:48
Formula One Formation lap 12:00
Start of 2010 Canadian Grand Prix 12:03

Where to watch – GMT time

-Free practice 1 live: 15:00pm – 16:30pm BBC via Red Button / online
-Free practice 2 live: 19:00pm – 20:30pm BBC via Red Button / online
- Free practice 3 live: 15:00pm – 16:00pm BBC via Red Button / online
- Qualifying coverage live: 17:00pm – 19:15pm BBC Two / online
- Canadian Grand Prix live: 16:05pm – 19:15pm BBC One/ online

*If you are watching the Grand Prix in Britain, after race day coverage has finished on BBC1, press the red button for the F1 Forum. When you’ve pressed the red button, there will be a link to follow for the F1 forum on your screen. Where the BBC F1 experts continue to have an in-depth discussion of the key moments in the motor race.

As always, live timing and scoring is available for every session at http://www.formula1.com/ Registration is free. If you wish to watch this Grand Prix outside the UK, please check your local listings.

Information guide

This guide shows us that if drivers in Canada punish their brakes too much, then they will wear out quickly once the temperatures exceed 1000 degrees Celsius. This places a lot of enphasis on brake conservation, to ensure that the discs do not exceed over 1000 degress too often – and therefore wear out less. With heavier cars, yet no increased thickness of the discs and pads – this will be a challenge in Montreal. Montreal is the most punishing track on brakes on the F1 schedule.

Previous winners of the Canadian Grand Prix

2004 – Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
2005 – Kimi Raikkonen – Mclaren-Mercedes
2006 – Fernando Alonso – Renault
2007 – Lewis Hamilton – Mclaren-Mercedes
2008 – Robert Kubica – BMW-Sauber

Enjoy the Grand Prix!

Last edited by Sav 2 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 am

The race has been a total sell out - ticket sales have closed: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84301

Very good news, I knew Canada is one of the best attended races on the F1 calendar - but a sell out crowd is impressive. I do love this race, the carnage, overtaking and bizarre results never, ever fail to bore me. I've been watching the sport for a number of years now, and I don't think I've ever seen a dull Canadian GP. I was watching the 1998 race on the BBC Interactive service, and it was the equivalent of some NASCAR race - the number of accidents is barley believable.

Tilke should look at this circuit in how to create an overtaking-friendly circuit, it is ideal for overtaking and hint hint - long straights followed by heavy braking zones are a common theme. I think Mclaren are going to be very strong here. Their straight line speed due to the F-duct and of course that Mercedes-Benz engine leaves them the favourites for this race. Watching Le Mans, then having this to watch in the evening is close to a perfect weekend for a racing fan.

Anything can happen here, who expected Alex Wurz to be on the podium in 2007 and Heikki in 4th all the way from the back of the grid, and for Alonso to be overtaken by a Super Aguri??? It is a bizzare yet great race.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:31 am

I loved watching practice, it was in the evening!!! I propose all F1 races should be in the evening, it was instantly better.

As for the practice sessions themselves, Red Bull look very, very quick. Mclaren enter this weekend as favourites, but they struggled badly in P2 today. The track was very, very dirty though - no accidents as such but drivers were understeering and running wide countless times. I think we have to wait until P3 until we get an idea about which car is best. The support races will lay down more rubber, I just fear of Red Bull's killer one lap pace.

I won't be missing a thing, one TV will have Le Mans on it and the other will have F1 qualifying on it!

Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:05 pm

David Coulthard becomes an MBE
Back to top Go down
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:10 am

Awe-inspiring lap from Hamilton. Smashed the 2 Red Bulls by a considerable margin, and then has to push his car home as a result. lol!
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 am

Hamilton's pole lap was really rather risky, but awe-inspiring. At turn 3 and 4, he just launched the car on the kerbing and hope it would stick. He clearly loves playing dare with the walls in Montreal.

Big surprise to see Schumacher in 12th, I'm not sure how easy it will be for him to pass the Williams cars. Looking at the speed traps, he is barley 1 or 2 kph faster then both of them. It could be a tough race for Schumacher.

Very interesting to see Vettel making a critical error and locking up on one of his final Q3 laps, Vettel has been faster then Webber in all the other sessions - so that teamate rivalry will be interesting. Really glad to see both Force India's in the top 10 - Luizzi is 6th and not much slower then Button! I predict Luizzi to be on the podium...

Lets see how the tyre situation plays out, the soft tyre (chosen by both Mclaren-Mercedes drivers) appears to be very, very fragile. But if it doesn't rain overnight, then the track should be well rubbered in for the race with support sessions that will build up the racing rubber laid down - making the graining less severe for those tyres. And the Red Bull's will have to use them at some stage anyway, the possible advantage is that they have, is that the track is only going to get more rubbered in as the GP progresses - so they will be able to do longer stints on the option tyre. On the other hand, if a safety car is deployed on the opening lap - then drivers on the option tyre can simply pit for the prime tyre - then drivers who started the race on the prime tyre may be in trouble.

Its our first time this season that we have genuinely seen issues with tyre durability.

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
David Coulthard becomes an MBE

So does JB.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Just as a matter of interest, why wasn't there a Canadian GP last year at this circuit as I can't remember ??

Mach1
Back to top Go down
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

Location : The damp cold sticky moist regions of Southern Bucks!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Mach1 wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, why wasn't there a Canadian GP last year at this circuit as I can't remember ??

Mach1

Bernie wanted too much money

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:57 pm

24 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

Mach1

He's such a greedy bastard eh.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:04 pm

Mach1 wrote:
24 wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

Mach1

He's such a greedy bastard eh.

eh. indeed
Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Hamilton given a $10,000 fine for his in lap being over the maximum amount of time.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm

--paddy-- wrote:
Hamilton given a $10,000 fine for his in lap being over the maximum amount of time.

I'm sure Lewis really cares about a fine. Razz

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:15 pm

I know this is bad, but I am praying for a safety car on lap one so Lewis can switch to the prime tyres. Those soft tyres may not last even five laps. Sad

Hopefully Alonso and Button disrupt the Red Bull's - F-Duct power...

(just a note, both Canadian GP threads have been merged)

Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:37 pm

--paddy-- wrote:

That dosent make sense (i haven't seen qually yet)
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwmsport/
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:28 am

Matt wrote:
--paddy-- wrote:

That dosent make sense (i haven't seen qually yet)

a 10k fine is nothing to a f1 racing driver.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 am

Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 am

Bad presedent? Other teams may think of doing it now?
Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:57 am

Weber down to 7th for gearbox change.
Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:00 am

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 am

This is how tyres should be in f1
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:38 am

After a few early fireworks this has gotten boring like f1 usually
Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29 am

What a race, great result for mclaren, they got the tyre call just right, tho i was worried at the start.

Schumacher Shocked Shocked Do you think he was watching the football on the dash during the race
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwmsport/
CJ
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:54 am

Great return for Canada to F1. Cool

Great driving from the top 3 (especially from the McLaren duo). Wink

Not so great showing by Schumacher at all. Neutral To me some of the moves he pulled gave off signs of sheer desperation to get at least something from a dismal weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX   

Back to top Go down

F1 - 2010 CANADIAN GRAND PRIX
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next