View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: chat box   Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 am

i have added a chat box Smile

i think it may be a good idea for fast chat (as it auto updates) when a f1 race is on, what does everyone else think ?

i will say that i haven't fully got the hang of it yet & as far as i know the content is uncensored in the chat box (im 100% sure that i don't need to say this because it will NOT happen! but i'm going to say it anyway just so people know) any member who posts anything in the chat box that contravenes the forum rules will be to blame for the removal of the chat box !

hopefully it can be left running all the time, but for now it will be only for when a f1 race is running.

also do not click on any links in the chat box that are not from a member (im not sure if bots or spam members can post in there)

enjoy Smile

Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Can you put it in a frame, please, so that it stays there wherever you are?

Then we can browse the forums and chat - at the moment it's only available on the front page, which means that it's "either chat or forum", which is counter-productive.

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:28 pm

hmmm i will have a look, but i don't think it will do that.

i will leave it as it is today.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:34 pm

it won't do that, so the only thing i can suggest is that you open the forum in another window & scale the size to the same as the chat box.

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Its cool idea good anyone is on and has problem with something what not thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:48 pm

well it seemed to work ok this morning Smile

hopefully it will encourage more people to chat while the race is going on & allow the main forum thread on the race in question to be a bit more in-depth, i don't want it to take away from that, it will help keep the forum load down though.

as far as i know everyone who used it today used it fine with no probs, some did say that they kept getting logged out, i don't know if there is a auto-out on it i didn't get logged out myself though, i just think that if you don't post within a certain time it will log you out when it refreshes, there is no control over when it logs people out or when it refreshes.

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:56 am

On another forum I go on, It's a football forum, their is a chatbox on there for when the team is playing so people just use the chatbox instead of going onto threads so it may mean less posts elsewhere.

Seems like a good idea though.
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 am

the chat box is now closed for now, today it seemed to go well for a first go Smile

don't worry the chat-box will be back for the next F1 race, it has been closed until then so that traffic isn't taken away from the main forum leaving it bare looking Sad hopefully the chat-box will encourage more chat during the race Smile

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:46 am

Big-AL wrote:
the chat box is now closed for now, today it seemed to go well for a first go Smile

don't worry the chat-box will be back for the next F1 race, it has been closed until then so that traffic isn't taken away from the main forum leaving it bare looking Sad hopefully the chat-box will encourage more chat during the race Smile
OK AL !!! will it be back for every race or just f1 !! why not include posts on total posts !!
Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:48 am

Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
Big-AL wrote:

OK AL !!! will it be back for every race or just f1 !! why not include posts on total posts !!
If not i will post on normal forum post
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 am

Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
Big-AL wrote:

F1 at the moment & probably LeMans 24hr, i take it that you mean by "include in total posts" the number value under your avatar ?

no it doesn't (i don't think so anyway as i don't know what my post count was before i used it so i cannot check) i'm not sure what difference it makes scratch post values are irrelevant (i think they can be removed & hidden) anyway, the idea is that during a race members can have a bit of banter with other like minded people on here (maybe others around in the house where people are watching a race have no interest in F1 {or motor-racing}) while the race is running, as it refreshes automatically a few members were chatting during the F1 race this morning sort of like a sort of commentary, its not really the place for detail & in-depth chat that's what the main forum is for in this case the F1 thread that Sav sets up relevant to the race in question, discussing the race whilst its running in the main forum is hard to keep up with & many a time its just a few words "so & so has gone out" or " so & so in the pits" this in a actual thread makes it hard to follow because some other member may be posting quite a long post thus breaking up the thread, the chat-box is what it says, in-depth or a discussion of the race is more suited to the main F1 thread, also this keeps the amount of data held on the forum lower, as what is posted (in the chat-box) has a limit & can easily be removed, we want to try & get the balance right that's why it has been removed now to stop people posting in there & not in the forum, forums have a hard time gaining members especially keeping them taking part, hopefully people joining (and current members) will see they have a place to chat with like minded people during races.

the more members post the better, as i said it will be back for the next F1 race but i think that we can only really see the value of the chat-box during a race at the normal lunchtime period as more people are on-line at that time.

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:09 am

Big-AL wrote:
Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
Cornish Pirate 7 wrote:
Big-AL wrote:

F1 at the moment & probably LeMans 24hr, i take it that you mean by "include in total posts" the number value under your avatar ?

no it doesn't (i don't think so anyway as i don't know what my post count was before i used it so i cannot check) i'm not sure what difference it makes scratch post values are irrelevant (i think they can be removed & hidden) anyway, the idea is that during a race members can have a bit of banter with other like minded people on here (maybe others around in the house where people are watching a race have no interest in F1 {or motor-racing}) while the race is running, as it refreshes automatically a few members were chatting during the F1 race this morning sort of like a sort of commentary, its not really the place for detail & in-depth chat that's what the main forum is for in this case the F1 thread that Sav sets up relevant to the race in question, discussing the race whilst its running in the main forum is hard to keep up with & many a time its just a few words "so & so has gone out" or " so & so in the pits" this in a actual thread makes it hard to follow because some other member may be posting quite a long post thus breaking up the thread, the chat-box is what it says, in-depth or a discussion of the race is more suited to the main F1 thread, also this keeps the amount of data held on the forum lower, as what is posted (in the chat-box) has a limit & can easily be removed, we want to try & get the balance right that's why it has been removed now to stop people posting in there & not in the forum, forums have a hard time gaining members especially keeping them taking part, hopefully people joining (and current members) will see they have a place to chat with like minded people during races.

the more members post the better, as i said it will be back for the next F1 race but i think that we can only really see the value of the chat-box during a race at the normal lunchtime period as more people are on-line at that time.
Very few of are members post during race times !!!!!! apart from LE MANS
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Can we have the chatbox all race weekend and not just for the race.

Mach1.
Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:43 pm

I agree with Mach1, it would be good to be able to chat during practice sessions and qualifying too.

I think the concept of chat is a great one, perhaps this is not the right chat software as I got timed-out too several times (I was hoping to be able to watch the chat go on alongside the race and chip in then and now when something happened). Let me see what's available in terms of "plug-in chat with ability to 'detach'", as that would make it easier for me (rather like an IM client, alongside the browser but not in it).

What was this software? Was it something suggested by Forumotion, linked into phpBB?

Sean
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:42 pm

I remember when i was on a other forum and they used chat on other website but had it private for member it was used often but people still posted on the forum. The converstation on chat was different to the actaully posting on the forum.

I like the Idea. Its gets people talking who normal don't post on certin topics
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Mach1
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Its good to have it on the Home Page too where we can all see it. I'm 100% in favour of it. Good Stuff.

Mach1.
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:08 am

in reply to all questions.

yes i was thinking of having it for qualifying & maybe practice.

not sure about running all weekend all hours as it could take away from what would be posted in the main forum.

the chat-box software is embedded in the forum & its phpBB, its just a basic on, as it's free, it cannot be operated separately in its own window unless you open two windows & have one on the main page where the chat-box is located & the other on the main forum F1 thread (for example).

not sure how long it is before the auto log-out is activated, i was only logged out twice i think during the race.

yes it's there to get more people joining in during a race.

Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:46 am

When is Chat on this weekend ??
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:45 am

later on at about midnight tonight Smile

Mr. Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:29 am

The chat box thing has gone off mine, have you turned it off Al? just wondering as it was there now its not
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:36 am

yeah i turned it off earlier on, some members had said the site was slow loading, could have been the clocks or chatbox, so i turned it off to see if it made any difference

Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Wondering whether it wouldn't be better to use the URL that Gareth registered, or another, to create a domain for the site and create a URL that gives you the website and a generic chatroom (ie. a chatroom that isn't as "clunky" as this one) on a single page using frames (ie. website takes up top 75% of "screen" and the chatroom bottom 25% - or we could do it horizontally) -- that way you could navigate around the website whilst chatting without having to "loose" the thread of the chat. Sometimes this can be good if, for example, you want to post something in response to a forum post whilst also maintaining realtime chat.

Sean
Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Here's a proof of concept

http://phpwebspace.net/racing

You may have to go to "Full Screen" mode in browser to make each window large enough, but the concept is there...

Thoughts??

Sean
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:54 pm

new domains etc are up to Sav.

a chat box like that takes up to much room on my laptop screen to be honest nearly a third, not sure if it would take to much away from the main forum, the idea is to create chat & banter during a race.

Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: chat box   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:05 am

What I'm saying is that we have an alternative URL that has the chatroom - so people can choose.

I was not suggesting replacing the site.

But you can say "if you want to chat, go to http://whatever.co.uk" - still have access to forum, but also chatroom.

Sean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chat box   

Back to top Go down

chat box
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next