Share | 

Game buying Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sisko
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Game buying Advice   Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi guys, i have a need for your advice and opinions.

Currently, i am not in the best shape financially, but have about 25 quid to spend on a new racing game for my recently acquired PS3

Now, according to Amazon, that will get me Nascar 09 or NFS Shift, i am leaving out GRID as i have heard its not a match for NFS. Now i am a massive nascar fan and am very keen to get nascar 09, and normally i would just get both games, but i am being very careful with my spending at present

my question is, to those with both games, which would you say is better to get first, and is nascar 09 even worth getting at all?

i look forward to you replies

Sisko
Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:39 am

I didnt like shift particulaly, nascar was good but did get tedious after a while, tho i was chasing achivement points on both. Personally i would go with NASCAR
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwmsport/
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:55 am

Sav is the best person to ask regarding PS3 games, however is there a GAME shop near you as they do old games that have been traded in & you may be able to pick one of the games cheaper or even get both games for your 25 Smile

Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:19 am

Shift was better with a steering wheel. much more fun.

Nascar haven't played it if you can get it for 10pounds or something i would get it.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am

SHIFT: Quite a poor game, in my honest opinion. Some of the cars were uncontrollable. The Bugatti Veyron used to float and bottom out even on the smoothest of tracks. I'm sure the Veyron is a beast of a car in real life, but I bet it doesn't pitch and wallow about. Generally, the cars are very tiresome to drive.

And they ALL oversteer, no matter what your driving. The tail even manages to come out instantly in a BMW 135i, very unrealistic. Its another one of those games in no mans land. Is it a street racing game? Not really, not enough modifications on offer to keep that crowd happy. Is it a realistic driving game? Not in the slightest, with those handling characteristics. So it achieves neither, and ends up being poor. Exactly the same story with GRID.

NASCAR 09: Excellent game, cannot recommend that enough. I know, I know. Read the reviews and you anticipate it'll be the worst game you've ever played. But for sheer fun, it is superb. I would even say the game is realistic, in the loose nature of the cars. The graphics are surprisingly good. Drive in a truck race around Martinsville, brake super late into corners, and it is the most fun you'll ever have. It's supposed to be pure fun, and thats exactly what it is.

The road courses are entertaining too. Learning to brake earlier, and not to wheel hope the car, is an art that needs learning, but once you get the hang of it, is very satisfying. NASCAR 09 is far, far better then GRID is.

Hope that helps Sisko, good luck. Look on Play.com for NASCAR, there should be some copies via Playtrade for around 25.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Stu_H
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:30 pm

BTW, Shift cars don't handle like that at all once you have changed the control settings to suit a pad. The game is made for a wheel and pedals hence why it seems so sensitive. You needed to alter the controls Stav, I did and its great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sportzdvd.co.uk
Sisko
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm

thanks for the replies guys, iv ordered nascar for now, plan to order shift as soon as i can afford it, and also saw grid for a tenner, would you say its even worth that much? lol

mostly im a pc gamer so i do have a steering wheel and pedals altho i do want control pad playable stuff for now as i havnt got a great setup to use wheel with my tv, somethin i hope to sort when i have a bit of time and can be bothered hehe

thanks again guys ten bravo thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:10 pm

i once saw someone saw grid was worth getting if someone was paying you to. i know the tracks are massively to wide but it might be fun....?
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:01 am

I would rather wipe my ass with the notes then waste the money on Grid.

Just to through another curve ball in, Check out Supercar challenge if you can pick it up cheap enough. By the makers of Ferrari challenge.
Nascar 09 is properly the best one to get though, It did improve from Nascar 08 but it's still made by EA Sports (The worst company in the world)

I do find it harder to use the PS3 controller for racing games then the Xbox controller so I prefer racing games on the 360 or PC.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:37 am

Xbox all the way for me
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 am

Stu_H wrote:
BTW, Shift cars don't handle like that at all once you have changed the control settings to suit a pad. The game is made for a wheel and pedals hence why it seems so sensitive. You needed to alter the controls Sav, I did and its great.

I've tried it with a Logitech steering and pedals. Whilst the cars feel slightly direct, and I feel I have more confidence to place the car into corners. It still has a floating feeling, like the front tyres isn't really connected to the steering. The cars also still bounce around more then they should, even the ordinary production cars, on all the driver settings. This of course, is in my opinion, but the wheel solution only marginally improved the issue.

Never had that on Forza when I played it, or GT games.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 am

Forza is great game.

I think Shift is better game with steering wheel but Forza is much game than it, Better cars and nicer gameplay.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 am

Definitely agree with that.

Back to top Go down
Matt
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:19 am

Just realised there have been some more achivements for shift, looks like they have a bunch of ferrari's on the game now. Gonna stick it on after the game 3-1 United Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sisko
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 am

yea the ferraris for shift are xbox only tho Evil or Very Mad for whatever reason
think nascar09 arrived in the post today, will give it a go when i get home from work Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game buying Advice   

Back to top Go down

Game buying Advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1