NASCAR 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm

siting that close to the the side of the track is always going to lead to things like this happening, people want to be that close & if the fencing is to be made stronger then it will just make it harder for people to see which is the opposite of what people want, you are going to watch a dangerous sporting event you cannot or should not be surprised if a accident does happen that you might get hit by something, this is of course very remote, the only way to stop this 100% is to have everyone at home watching it on TV & having no spectators at the track, if people are not prepared to take a ever-so tiny risk by going & watching then they should not go, of course you should not be expecting to get hit by flying debris but you should not be surprised when it happens.

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Before that final lap crash, there was a red flag due to an 11 car pile-up in turns 1 and 2. In that accident, no car got tossed up in the air. When there's a green-white-chequer shootout, rationality goes out of the window.

NASCAR does a lot of R&D work to make these cars stay on the ground. Mostly, the cars don't get airborne when t-boned - but the laws of physics will still apply in extreme accidents.

Tbh, the situation is a lot better than in the initial years of the COT in Cup Racing. The COT lifted off the ground way too quickly - partially solved by switching from a wing to a spoiler.

I think it is true that motorsport will always be dangerous. However, if we used that approach literally - there would be no safety improvements. No HANS device, no SAFER barrier, no crumple zones, survival cell, or higher fencing. The drive for safety must continue, otherwise, standards would never improve if injuries/deaths were just accepted.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

Quote :
I think it is true that motorsport will always be dangerous. However, if we used that approach literally - there would be no safety improvements. No HANS device, no SAFER barrier, no crumple zones, survival cell, or higher fencing. The drive for safety must continue, otherwise, standards would never improve if injuries/deaths were just accepted.

Here here

[quote] siting that close to the the side of the track is always going to lead to things like this happening, people want to be that close & if the fencing is to be made stronger then it will just make it harder for people to see which is the opposite of what people want, you are going to watch a dangerous sporting event you cannot or should not be surprised if a accident does happen that you might get hit by something, this is of course very remote, the only way to stop this 100% is to have everyone at home watching it on TV & having no spectators at the track, if people are not prepared to take a ever-so tiny risk by going & watching then they should not go, of course you should not be expecting to get hit by flying debris but you should not be surprised when it happens. [/quote ]

Every year at the super speedways someone gets closer and closer to be killed. The big one will claim the lives of drivers at some point and I'm getting a terrible feeling that today is one of them. I hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 am

Superspeedway racing is tremendously dangerous, that’s pretty much always been the case – and the restrictor plates have bunched everyone up. The reaction time is minimal, as yesterday showed. A 2 car incident quickly became a 13 car crash.

In a way, NASCAR has become so much safer to justify the existence of racing at Daytona and Talladega. 2001 was a big wake up call, and if the sport was to continue racing nose-to-tail in packs, the safety would have to improve.

Clearly, logic might dictate scrapping superspeedway racing all together. Instead of improving safety and trying to prevent every eventuality, why not scrap the dangerous racing all together?

However, superspeedway racing is a large part of NASCAR’s product. I respect how much safer this racing now is. Kyle Larson’s 32 car sustained a staggering impact, the wreckage might have looked frightening – but the driver walked out. The survival cell worked precisely as it should have.

Let’s celebrate the safety levels which have been achieved, but the most extreme accidents can highlight obvious risks. There must be emphasis on the design of fencing.

I hope that all the fans are okay. I heard one story of a spectator heavily bleeding due to debris hitting them. The videos which spectators have uploaded have been the most powerful insights into the accident.

Quote :
Every year at the super speedways someone gets closer and closer to be killed. The big one will claim the lives of drivers at some point and I'm getting a terrible feeling that today is one of them. I hope I'm wrong.

It is worrying, because these accidents are so situational. Sometimes the car gets tipped upside down, sometimes it won’t.

Mostly, the cars don’t get airborne when hit t-boned. However, the laws of physics will always apply. To NASCAR’s credit, they’ve conducted a lot of research into the rear spoiler’s and decklid area of the cars. The COT with the wing got airborne far too quickly , but the Nationwide and new Cup cars are more stable in accidents.

I hope for a safe Daytona 500.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:15 am

Me too
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 am

Danica was leading bounce

The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 am

Danica drove well, if there was an award for an average position during the race - she would win it.

It was a strange race, because once somebody pulled up to another car, the former's progress just stalled. It was the most strategic restrictor plate race in a long time.

Jimmie Johnson wins the first race with the Gen 6 car, and the first for the Chevrolet SS.

If the Joe Gibbs Racing cars hadn't of blown up, I think the 18 or 20 would have won - terrible advert for Toyota.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-daytona-crash-change-auto-racing-good-160904090.html
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:26 am

In a way, I agree with Alex Lloyd. Sometimes, accidents can reveal serious safety flaws with race tracks.

An accident in the Cup Series a few years ago exposed the dangerous angle of walls at Watkins Glen, Jeff Gordon's accident at Las Vegas Motor Speedway exposed a dangerous opening on the back straight.

It sounds terrible, but serious circumstances need to occur to force race organisers to act.

IMO, the car itself performed brilliantly. When I mean brilliantly , the car was a mess - but the driver walked out with no injuries whatsoever. The Nationwide car carries the same safety advances as the Cup cars have.

However, the issue of engines being ripped out could be looked at. In the Cup Series at Pocono in 2010, the engine of Elliot Sadler's car got ripped out. On Saturday, the loose engine almost hit spectators. Whilst the structure of the survival cell stayed in tact, it must be possible to ensure that major parts don't get loose so easily.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 am

Michael Annett will require surgery after being involved in the Saturday accident, putting him out of the 43 car in the Nationwide Series: http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-michael-annett-faces-surgery-after-daytona-crash/

Just shows how accidents can surprise you. Watching the pictures, you might think that Kyle Larson would have significant injuries. Thank the lord he doesn't, but I still believe this was a freskish accident. Not to say that improvements can't be made, mind.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm

The big one isn't a freakish accident any more as the happen so often. It's a common accident and therefore something should be done to make oval racing safer.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 am

I thought that Michael Annett had surgery for the final lap melee, but in actual fact he was involved in the 11 car accident before the red flag was bought out.

Some really, really nasty accidents and injuries last weekend. Sad Sad

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Someone will get killed in the super speedway racers its only time until then.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 am

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/03/sprint-cup-las-vegas-overnights-second-lowest-in-fox-era/

That does not look good. Danica kills racing series?
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 am

The viewing figures will ebb-and-flow, but even those TV ratings are pretty good – still one of the most watched sports in America and still the only motorsport in America to be broadcasted on mainstream, network TV for every race.

IndyCar would kill to be broadcasted on FOX, TNT and ESPN for every race. IndyCar is on the more favourable ABC for some races, but the bulk of races are on the minority NBC.

Danica was always going to have a mighty fall. Daytona and Talledega entail pressing the gas pedal down, whereas every other track require finesse with the throttle or braking. That’s Danica’s weak link.

40th at Phoenix after crashing and five laps down at Las Vegas – this is the actual reality. IMO, Cup racing is the most competitive motorsport on the planet. There are huge battles for 35th place.

I wonder when the female novelty factor will wear off. Considering how hard it is to win and the level of talent in Cup – she’s nowhere near ready or talented enough for the Cup Series. Perhaps she should have done another season of Nationwide racing, but short-term gain is a price for long-term gain and development. Yes, getting Danica in Cup ASAP will make money quicker, but if she’s a backmarker, where will the marketing benefit come from?

I don’t know what the rush was, because Danica was already milking the media attention in Nationwide racing. She was learning, getting some respectable finishes and learning a lot. Even then, she didn’t win in Nationwide and often struggled. Therefore, the move to full-time Cup racing just wasn’t necessary yet.

No TV station can obsess about a car that’s running in 30th or so position every week. The demands of a 36-race schedule, racing almost every weekend and the media spotlight that Cup racing brings will break Danica – mark my words.

Danica is a talented driver; she had some good finishes in IndyCar and actually ran okay in Nationwide. However, is she good enough to win a non-restrictor-plate race? Nope.

I find it sad that most of Danica’s career hasn’t been based on her developmental needs, but based on which move will make the most money.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 am

NASCAR on primier sports is free view and live right now.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 am

I love it when NASCAR goes to Sonoma, it was another brilliant race. The cars are over-powered, don't have much tyre grip or downforce.

It was really great when America went to advert breaks; Premier Sports had an on-board with Montoya. He was modulating the throttle to a great degree, as the tyres fall off the best drivers are clear to see.

I would thoroughly recommend Premier Sports to motorsport fans. You get 36 NASCAR Cup races and V8 Supercar races live - and they are responsive and care about what motorsport fans think.

If I'm gonna pay for a channel, they better had treat me well. This is why I refuse to get ESPN - they don't care about motorsport.

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:20 am

Always love this upcoming weekend - NASCAR Nationwide and Cup Series goes road course racing at Watkins Glen.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NASCAR 2013   

Back to top Go down

NASCAR 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4