PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Tarquini in at Sunred with some Russian driver bringing the money

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5735
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am

WTCC holds little interest to me this year, Chevrolet v Volvo as factory teams and another manufacturer outfit gone. The racing wasn't exctly great last year either.

Time for Eurosport to dump WTCC and show IndyCar, more viewers because Sunday evening is peak viewing time. It could just occupy the space that Champ Car used to have.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
WTCC holds little interest to me this year, Chevrolet v Volvo as factory teams and another manufacturer outfit gone. The racing wasn't exctly great last year either.

Time for Eurosport to dump WTCC and show IndyCar, more viewers because Sunday evening is peak viewing time. It could just occupy the space that Champ Car used to have.

with jeremy shaw and james hinchliffe back on commentary yes please. actually james hinchliffe was one heck of a colour commentator.
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Unfortunately WTCC is Eurosport's baby so no chance of that happening.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 am

Cerca Trova wrote:
Mobil 1 wrote:

with jeremy shaw and james hinchliffe back on commentary yes please. actually james hinchliffe was one heck of a colour commentator.

Indeed, he was only a junior driver at the time but hearing his commentary was brilliant. I miss those days and Champ Car a lot.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Entry list announced, bit poor all in all

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5788
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:14 am

I don't see the point of WTCC, sticking with road relevant cars has done absolutely nothing for the series. The 1.6 turbo's won't sound as fruity as the NA 2.0 units did.

Declining manufacturer interest, declining privateer interest with a load of new drivers nobody has ever heard of. Hardly a credible 'world' championship.

DTM will head in the right direction at least next year, with a German showdown including BMW and simpler cars. Superstars is epic as well.

Road relevance means nothing to racing fans and the public, its just something that TV commentators like to waffle on about.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 am

actually i think this could be a good year for world touring car, the relatively weak field, should actually mean there more equal on pace, there will be less manufacter moaning, and that should produce good racing.

dtm s terrible and has been sinsce it was re-inveted, the original dtm go so big and good, bernie go scared and threatened everybody and it ended sadly.

superstars could be great, it's good atm

but number one toruing series is aussie v8's but there gt cars really

touirn cars, no actually saloon cars should be, 4 doors with a proper boot and about 300 to 350 horse power based on raod cars with miniman modifications, remove the seats fit a roll cage and thats about it, oh and no electronic aids

as for people not careing nobody knows wtcc exists
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 pm

i've been away and though about it

looking like the raod is important to the general public, excluding formula 1 and bike racing, touring cars gets the biggest auidence for motorsport.

at times BTCC was getting getting a auidence than f1 was.

however

DTM gets a small auidence in the UK
Aussie V8's the same
WTCC the same

but in Germany DTm is huge, like BTCC in the uk, again the same in australia v8 superscars is bigger in oz than any other motorsport

touring cars only work locally and i think thats where WTCC is failing at the moment.

Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 pm

But that may be because the national touring cars are on national tv channels. BTCC is itv4, most people get itv4 now.

V8's on channel 7, most of aussie have channel 7.

DTM I don't know.

WTCC is on a pay channel; less people watch.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 am

--paddy-- wrote:
But that may be because the national touring cars are on national tv channels. BTCC is itv4, most people get itv4 now.

V8's on channel 7, most of aussie have channel 7.

DTM I don't know.

WTCC is on a pay channel; less people watch.

you might be right

however i don't think it's just that, theres more to it imho.
Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:04 am

It also doesn't follow any particular routine, as in not every 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 am

a more regular pattern and going to the same venue at the same time of year would help too.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:44 am

Cerca Trova wrote:

looking like the raod is important to the general public, excluding formula 1 and bike racing, touring cars gets the biggest auidence for motorsport.

however

Aussie V8's the same
WTCC the same

but in Germany DTm is huge, like BTCC in the uk, again the same in australia v8 superscars is bigger in oz than any other motorsport

touring cars only work locally and i think thats where WTCC is failing at the moment.

But DTM cars are not based on production body shells, they only share the same headlight designs and window designs to make them look relevant to their production counterparts. But, they actually have nothing to do with road cars – yet DTM is still massive in Germany.
The BTCC’s NGTC regulations will mean that the cars won’t be road relevant, they will look like normal road cars, but the chassis’ and engines will be bespoke – just like in DTM. I don’t think BTCC’s popularity is suddenly going to decline just because the cars are not based on production models.

Touring cars works fine, I’m not saying it doesn’t. But I seriously doubt that people watch whatever series they watch just because the chassis’ are based on road cars. What matters is how they look, and some visual links to road cars is more than enough for the public to identify the cars they see on the circuit.

WTCC is sticking with production-based cars, yet that series is going backwards. I would argue that a lot of touring cars around the world are not road relevant at all, they only look road relevant – but the latter is what matters.

Nobody gives a crap about what’s underneath touring cars and the nerdy mechanics of them. As long as an Audi A4 DTM sort of looks like the road car with the same headlights and grille, it doesn’t matter that it has a carbonfibre chassis and sticky aerodynamic bits everywhere.

Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:56 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
Cerca Trova wrote:

however

Aussie V8's the same
WTCC the same

But DTM cars are not based on production body shells, they only share the same headlight designs and window designs to make them look relevant to their production counterparts. But, they actually have nothing to do with road cars – yet DTM is still massive in Germany.
The BTCC’s NGTC regulations will mean that the cars won’t be road relevant, they will look like normal road cars, but the chassis’ and engines will be bespoke – just like in DTM. I don’t think BTCC’s popularity is suddenly going to decline just because the cars are not based on production models.

Touring cars works fine, I’m not saying it doesn’t. But I seriously doubt that people watch whatever series they watch just because the chassis’ are based on road cars. What matters is how they look, and some visual links to road cars is more than enough for the public to identify the cars they see on the circuit.

WTCC is sticking with production-based cars, yet that series is going backwards. I would argue that a lot of touring cars around the world are not road relevant at all, they only look road relevant – but the latter is what matters.

Nobody gives a crap about what’s underneath touring cars and the nerdy mechanics of them. As long as an Audi A4 DTM sort of looks like the road car with the same headlights and grille, it doesn’t matter that it has a carbonfibre chassis and sticky aerodynamic bits everywhere.

If you stripped off all the aero parts on the DTM cars it would improve the series 100%. Lets be honest all them stupid airpieces on the back look ridiculous and make it look more like Doc Browns Delorean then a German touring car.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 am

I agree, they look ridiculous. But my point was that even with all those silly aero details and bespoke chassis', the grills and headlights resemble the respective road car ones. Thus giving them road car identity.

Next years DTM cars will feature new regulations with much simpler cars - visually looking more like V8 Superstar cars. That is the only reason why BMW are entering, due to the new regulations.

Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:12 am

Mobil 1 wrote:
I agree, they look ridiculous. But my point was that even with all those silly aero details and bespoke chassis', the grills and headlights resemble the respective road car ones. Thus giving them road car identity.

Next years DTM cars will feature new regulations with much simpler cars - visually looking more like V8 Superstar cars. That is the only reason why BMW are entering, due to the new regulations.

I understand BMW totally, Why make a beautiful car and then add ridiculous splitters to it and turn it into a ugly piece of sh**.

Like getting a supermodel girlfriend and turning her into something from fat fighters.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 am

I think the idea of an F1 car with a roof failed badly in terms of the racing.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:08 am

I don't think I said road relevant, I said like the road car.

I do think buy a road put a roll cage in that's it race it.

But that's as much about costs as fans

For the public it looking like the road is far more important than anything.

Wtcc seems shit ATM because the manufactures left and actually the cars are too complicated so no one builds them, hence the above buy a road car, strip in add a roll cage and race it

Simples

Oh and the crap on current dtm cars makes them look shit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTCC News, info rumours etc   

Back to top Go down

WTCC News, info rumours etc
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3