View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 am

yes it is free,

thank you for saying you would donate to help the site Very Happy , its way to soon for anything like that, because we don't have that many members & our bandwidth usage is small, i subscribe to one site because it has very high bandwidth usage but as a subscriber you get extra stuff on the forum & no adverts, that is what i would go for myself a subscriber paid for forum, so some members who want t pay will get extra stuff but leaving it free for everyone else, that is my opinion & not the sites, that is for Sav, anyway it will be a very long way off before it happens a few years i would think as free forums & hosting will go as the advertising revenue is tiny & not enough to pay for staff to run the servers & pay the energy costs associated with it, in the credit crunch a few free hosts have closed of been sold to bigger companies, one day we will have to ask for subscribers or donations though.

Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:17 am

Well I was on a football forum once which had a good bunch of members but sadly the owner decided to sell the forum to a new owner. He moved it to a new server which then went tits up and the forum was lost. No effort was made to restart the forum elsewhere (as there are loads of similar football message boards) so everyone just went their separate ways sadly. A group of us had offered to contribute towards funding the forum way before the problems started but to no avail.

Anyway, getting to the point - this is a cracking forum with some excellent members who make a good community. It would be sad to lose it and I would help fund it if necessary. I think the only thing I'd want is for the full costs to be made public to all people contributing so that I could understand what I was contributing towards. So the offer's there anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
Big-AL
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:27 am

a forum with full support is about 10 a month, that is for 250 simultaneous users.

Vbulletin seems to be the choice these days and is more stable, the software license which is approx 100 for permanent ownership and covers the first year of free support and updates, then a 40 per annum payment for updates and support.

the main issue as you raised was the members & staying in contact, the only way something will go wrong is if one of the Admin press the wrong button in the admin area Razz , the database get corrupted (our host may back this up {i don't know} & they could restore it, but that would be about 100) the only other thing to go wrong is that the host server becomes corrupted, hacked or destroyed which we can do nothing about, even if we hosted it ourselves the same thing could happen, but that could cause rights issues unless Sav does it himself.

Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:43 am

That's quite reasonable actually - less than I expected. You'd probably need about 20 members paying a 15 per year each to make it work well. Thanks for that. Smile

I'd never want to be in charge of a forum - I'm such a wimp. Embarassed Laughing
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:57 am

I've just been reading the support forum to forumotion, and a lot of admins with the phhb2 software are experiencing loading up difficulities. Which could be the reason for the very long loading times. Sorry about that laker, I think we should switch to version because maybe the maintenance from forumotion works better with the new software.

I don't actually know much about the company themselves, but they appear to have hundreds and thousands of site admins and forumotion's staff are always on hand to ask forum-related questions in the support forum. I really hope these niggles go away, it seems to happen once a year (one afternoon last year, some posts were lost). But considering how many customers they have, they do a pretty good job. Its mostly reliable and fully functions, but obviously that can change very quickly. I would have thought that forumotion would be relatively okay financially, considering online advertising revenues are increasing has a massive number of users.

I wouldn't mind paying for a forum, splitting th cost sounds good to me.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I've found phpBB3 to be quite reasonable - it was phpBB3 that myself and Cadpig installed on my server for this forum when we thought it was all about to go belly up a year or so ago.

It still concerns me that we have no way to back up the posts on this forum. Removing the "back up/restore" options is something that I don't quite understand, why did Forumotion do it?? We cannot move and retain the posts, which seems a bit "sinister" to me.

As for vBulletin, I don't really see the benefit. As long as everything is backed up it really isn't important what software is used, and I don't see how vBulletin provides enough to justify $200 licence fees. If folks don't like phpBB then there's always SimpleMachines or similar which is also free.

And I can host for free or - if folks aren't comfortable with that - there's 34sp.com which is about 20/year.

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum slow?   

Back to top Go down

Forum slow?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2