HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:27 pm

CRS Racingís Rob Bell is in a good position to know the new Algarve circuit, having won his category there in the Le Mans Series event in August. He was also testing there with CRS Racing in April this year. So what does he think of the circuit ?

ďItís a new facility, and, being in the Algarve you have the weather and climate, which is great. Secondly, they have done it really well Ė itís wide, with opportunities for overtaking in one or two places which is good from everyoneís point of view. Itís relatively smooth, which is nice.

Looking at it corner by corner, weíll start from the first corner, which is actually quite tricky. You brake, going downhill, which always affects the way the car handles, braking quite late into a third-gear right-hand corner. Thereís a little bit of kerb on the right side that you can use. So you can carry quite a lot of speed through that first corner, taking you through to the second corner. This is a hairpin, and I feel that this could be a good overtaking opportunity, as you run through a medium-speed corner from a straight to a hairpin, so youíll be right on someoneís tail going through it all. That second corner, a first-gear right-hand hairpin, was relatively slippy once the race got going, so weíll have to watch for that.

To get a quick lap, you have to be a bit careful through there, as you come out of that right-hand hairpin, but you donít want to let the car go all the way over to the opposite side of the track, because you have a flat-out left-hand section coming up. So you need to keep the car in the middle of the road on the exit to get a good run up this hill, which is really important, because at the end of this little straight there is another hairpin left Ė thereís a lot of hairpins, and the circuit is quite undulating, which makes it interesting Ė and can make it eventful !

After that hairpin there is a crest, and you go over the brow to what is effectively turn four, a hairpin left, down hill again. A good opportunity to overtake, you just have to be patient on the throttle on the exit, so you donít run wide. You exit the corner through a sweeping left into a third-gear right-hander, and then brake again for another hairpin, which takes you up a hill Ė second gear for that one, up and over the hill. Back down another hill, and then we get to another sweeping flat-out left up a hill, to which what is for me, definitely, one of the most difficult corners on the circuit. You come through a flat-out left-hand corner up and over a rise, but as you go over the rise, then a corner appears, a 90 degree right. Itís really tricky, as youíre going pretty quick up that hill, sort of fourth or fifth gear, and you arrive at the 90 degree right having not been able to see it as you approach it. So itís really, really tricky.

Then you go back down hill, through another left to another hairpin, which again is pretty standard, with a little straight to a second-gear right-hand corner, which gives us another run towards the last corner of the lap. Itís a corner which would be flat, full-power all the way through, except there is a dip in it. So as youíre approaching it, youíre looking ahead, full speed, and you think itís probably flat, but then road leaves you - itís like a roller-coaster. It just takes the grip away from the car and unsettles it, therefore for us in the LMS, we werenít flat through there. Itís quite frustrating as you think it should be easily flat, and then thereís enough of a dip to throw you off balance a bit. But itís critical, because if you are too hard going in, and you hit the dip wrong, and you have to lift off, youíre dead in the water for down the straight. But if you hit it right and power out of it, you can get a good run down the start-finish straight. Thatís how I remember the lap.
Itís dry, and relatively dusty, so quite slippery off line, with a lot of dust being kicked up. You find that if you do make a mistake, then itís not just one car that will get past you, it will be two or three. Itís a good track to drive, but difficult in the race to get every lap precise. Itís quite technical and tricky, but I think most people have been there to race or to test. But itís going to be a tricky race for everyone involved.

The race is shown live on Motors TV 14.00 to 16.30 cheers cheers cheers

Live stream and live timing are now on the same page! Be aware that the picture stream may well not be in sync with the Television broadcast (turn the sound down).
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:39 pm

I am not sure i will see this race due to the Great north run but we never know!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:14 pm

MotorracingP wrote:
I am not sure i will see this race due to the Great north run but we never know!
You lightweight tongue
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:44 pm

No! Great North run will be good for photos. Can't miss a good chance for photos.

Well all know who is going to win the GT1 title its clear cut!

It will all depend on what photos i get before the race starts.....
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:10 am

Any race at the Algarve is worth watching, looking at the qualifying times only 18 cars have been entered. Clearly the recession is having an impact. A Westbrook move would be good to see again. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:15 am

I will be watching. I get the early runners before the race starts.
Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Sav 1 wrote:
Any race at the Algarve is worth watching, looking at the qualifying times only 18 cars have been entered. Clearly the recession is having an impact. A Westbrook move would be good to see again. Very Happy

It is a disappointing entry, K+K appear to have got the hump again, but the Corvettes look menacing for Maserati and I expect GT2 to produce the usual epic. Westbrook is carrying a lot of ballast. It would be nice if a Brit in a Ferrari could do something for a change.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Pekaracing of Mike Hezemans and Anthony Kumpen have everything stack against them. I mean after Spa I though they were going to be have more than just 1....
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:48 am

Not a bad race, there were some good moves in GT2. The driver in the GT2 Porsche who spun at the hairpin must feel a little Embarassed . And thankfully, for the first time at the Algarve some grandstands were actually half full. I swear most of the people spend their time on the beach or something. Laughing

I think their are perhaps too many grandstands, GP2 was empty yesterday too. Sad

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:54 am

it's too new really, in time i think it'll get bigger crowds.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 am

I think so, well I hope so because the track is epic. But there are a vast number of grandstands though...

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:58 am

in time it will become a british holiday race
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:00 am

If theres no British GP in the future I'll happily go there...

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 am

It was good race. Stop/start coverage online but it was ok.

If you do go to the Algarve bring a coat!!! It gets quite cold a night. Because of the wind.
Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:41 am

SRT CORVETTE cheers Basketball

Andrew Kirkaldy is a muppet

Alex Muller was simply awesome

Richard Westbrook IS God in a Porsche

One day a British F430 will get a GT2 win Rolling Eyes

Considering the reduced grid, that was an excellent race.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 am

There was a lot of action and I find small grids can provide equally good racing as larger grids. Although obviously smaller grids are in general negative especially when the number drops below 20.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:10 am

willyj wrote:

Alex Muller was simply awesome

Alex Muller is let down by Miguel Ramos No
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:52 am

ramos brings the check book (imagine tomas enge with pages)
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 am

He does thats how Aston martin had 3 cars at the last two rounds.
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 am

Sav 1 wrote:
Not a bad race, there were some good moves in GT2. The driver in the GT2 Porsche who spun at the hairpin must feel a little Embarassed . And thankfully, for the first time at the Algarve some grandstands were actually half full. I swear most of the people spend their time on the beach or something. Laughing

I think their are perhaps too many grandstands, GP2 was empty yesterday too. Sad

It was quite full for the superbikes last year, and I suspect will this year. I am definitely thinking of going to that circuit in the near future.
Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:58 pm

According to Le-Mans-France.com the spectator figure was 38,500.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve   

Back to top Go down

FIA GT Championship season 2009, event 6 - Algarve
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1