BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 pm

BTCC returns to Silverstone next weekend, with the BTCC debut of Johnny Herbert, who will no doubt attract a lot of media attention, but will probably struggle on track, whilst the title protagonists carry on their battles.
Gio closed up to within 9 points of Turks at Knockhill, can Colin stretch the gap again?
Should be some drivers returning who missed Knockhill, mainly for budget reasons, but let's hope Martyn Bell has recovered sufficiently from his knee injury to race, and would be good if Liam McMillian's team managed to sort the engine problems and get him back out on track.
Anyone else from here going??
Back to top Go down
--paddy--
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Wish I was going.

Are you going just the one day this time Nick?
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:37 am

Yeah, just going for raceday, DTM is the weekend after and need to save money, plus an outside chance of BSB at Cadwell the next day depending on weather, how late we get back from Silverstone etc...
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:55 am

I should really go, but missing the Belgian Grand Prix would be rather unfortunate. The National circuit always provides excellent racing.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Sav, you should go, Sky+ the F1 and GP2 and watch it in the evening Very Happy
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Anthony Reid in 3rd WSR BMW http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1624&month=0&year=2008&form=&searchterm=

So there you go, Sav, another BMW for you to support as well!!

Good to see Reidy back, i'm sure he'll be quicker than Jelley even with ballast on board!!
Back to top Go down
DTM Deano
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 am

Great news to hear that Reid is back, no doubt he will have a few old scores to settle too. And he will defo be quicker than Jelley without a doubt.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/deano190
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:41 am

That's a great move by WSR. Somebody who can play rear gunner for Turkington now. As he has been fighting the Vauxhalls by himself really.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 am

boyhitscarpimp wrote:
Anthony Reid in 3rd WSR BMW http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1624&month=0&year=2008&form=&searchterm=

Good to see Reidy back, i'm sure he'll be quicker than Jelley even with ballast on board!!

I am tempted to go Nick, but have decided that attending the season finale would be a better bet. Sad Smile

Fantastic to see Anthony Reid back, I fondly remember him getting involved in a lot of battles and arguements. I remember attending BTCC in 2003 at Brands and Reid side by side at paddock in his MG, those were good times. Smile

I wonder if WSR can run three cars for Rockingham and Brands? Having a third car is obviously brilliant for Silverstone, as Reid will be up to speed very quickly and will take no crap from the Vauxhall's, unlike Jelley who is still learning touring cars. But WSR need support for Turkington at Rockingham and Brands Hatch too, otherwise Turkington is going to get bashed around by the Vauxhall's.

The good thing for Turkington, is that the upcoming tracks should suit the 320si. Unlike Knockhill there is no kerb hoping to a large extent at none of the upcoming circuits, the Vectra has not actually been that fast this year. It is more of a case of the Vauxhall's bashing everyone else out the way.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 pm

vauxhall do a lot of bashing other people out of the way, matt neal is just dirty, i'm amased he gets away with the amount of bumping he does.

the really sad part about vauxhall's cheating is they can repair there cars they have a budget, the small teams can't do that.

I hope there are no wroks teams next year and we can have great racing week in and week out.
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 am

Sav 1 wrote:
boyhitscarpimp wrote:

I am tempted to go Nick, but have decided that attending the season finale would be a better bet. Sad Smile

Fantastic to see Anthony Reid back, I fondly remember him getting involved in a lot of battles and arguements. I remember attending BTCC in 2003 at Brands and Reid side by side at paddock in his MG, those were good times. Smile

I wonder if WSR can run three cars for Rockingham and Brands? Having a third car is obviously brilliant for Silverstone, as Reid will be up to speed very quickly and will take no crap from the Vauxhall's, unlike Jelley who is still learning touring cars. But WSR need support for Turkington at Rockingham and Brands Hatch too, otherwise Turkington is going to get bashed around by the Vauxhall's.

The good thing for Turkington, is that the upcoming tracks should suit the 320si. Unlike Knockhill there is no kerb hoping to a large extent at none of the upcoming circuits, the Vectra has not actually been that fast this year. It is more of a case of the Vauxhall's bashing everyone else out the way.

Jelley really can't be using that excuse anymore though can he, He Has had long enough in my opinion and to be honest I just think he isn't good enough. Anthony Reid will finish better at Silverstone then what Jelley has all season.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:25 am

Johnny Herbert for the win!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Unconfirmed reports that Clyde Valley Racing have pulled out

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3876

which is a shame for Jones and Shedden if it's true, and means we're short of cars again this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 am

BTCC grids are declining quite badly aren't they, obviously the recession is taking its toll but the quality and quantity of the grid is decreasing race by race. Sad

I suppose even S2000 cars are expensive to run, hopefully the new regulations will change that. I don't know why RML use Nash, Jackson is much better.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 am

Sav 1 wrote:
BTCC grids are declining quite badly aren't they, obviously the recession is taking its toll but the quality and quantity of the grid is decreasing race by race. Sad

I suppose even S2000 cars are expensive to run, hopefully the new regulations will change that. I don't know why RML use Nash, Jackson is much better.

Sadly yes, but it's not cheap, 10k for an engine rebuild, even the guys at the back must be looking at 6 figures. RML are using Nash cos he's got some backers with money, and they have a car sitting about doing nothing else; he's not done too bad in the 9 races he's done this year, Mat Jackson has an awful lot of experience in comparison, i think he has some promise and will benefit from having access to the data that Plato and Jackson have, i still think he was unlucky to lose his Snetterton win, however his confidence will have been boosted by fending off Turks to cross the line first.
Back to top Go down
Steven_85
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Martyn Bell may be back for Silverstone as well. BHCP will be happy lol!

Plus we have Reidy so the numbers won't be that bad. Herbert has just took Thommo's place so that doesn't count.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:44 am

Onslow-Cole gets Arena call-up:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78059

It'll be a steep learning curve for Onslow-Cole, learning the Focus after driving a nice BMW last year ( Razz Razz Razz ). I take it he replaces Alan Morrison then? Morrison was always slow.

I know is may seem rather odd, but BTCC grids could be boosted next year because of the arrival of teams from the Dainish touring car championship. The DTC is moving to V8 engines next year, something that this DTC team is not happy about, after investing a lot of time and money into S2000-spec cars: http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3878

Quote :
The only Danish championship where the S2000 cars will be eligible is the Special Saloon Car championship. Otherwise, teams will be forced to compete in championships outside Denmark.

I would personally love to see some of the DTC teams come to BTCC, especially having Mercedes-Benz cars in BTCC, and a Peugeot 407 runs in DTC as well. So therefore the BTCC would have greater variety, if I were Alan Gow I would lure some of the unhappy DTC teams to Britain.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:05 am

Yeah, i agree about luring some DTC teams over here, would be great to see the Merc, Hartmann can bring their Accord's, some more BMW's, boost the grid nicely. Although they may go to Sweden as its nearer Sad
Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:36 am

Jackson on pole

http://racing.forumotion.co.uk/post.forum?mode=reply&t=2142

grid line up

http://www.btcc.net/html/raceresults_detail.php?race_id=63&season_id=52

Great for Mat, and RML in general as James Nash seems to be getting the hang of the Chevy as well. Perhaps the Vaulkhard's should have taken their money to RML to run a car rather than buy a car off them and run their own team, as Harry seems to be struggling, when the other Chevy's are top 4. Johnny Herbert down in 17th after suspension problems. Thought O' Neill would be higher up than 14th, but maybe quali didn't go well for him. Surprised Jelley is only 1 place behind Turks, thought Reidy would have been the one backing him up, although his job will be to cover Neal and Jordan.
Alarm will be set for 5am tomorrow, try and get there before the traffic.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:48 am

Looks like a good grid to me, Turkington will be happy with the fact that all three Vauxhall's are further up the grid, and he has two BMW allies between him and Gio.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Ok it's 5.30am and time to get ready to go to Silverstone, enjoy the days racing wherever you are....
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:43 am

Turkington drove a brilliant race in race 3, Gio was so close to bumping Colin off but thankfully Colin placed his car perfectly so Gio could not have any opportunities to pass him. Razz Jelley actually did a good team job as well by getting past Gio, perhaps at last he is learning how touring car racing works.

Herbert was reasonable, but it was obvious that he was a newcomer. He got passed all over the place in all three races. Great day for RML taking all three wins, they really should keep Mat Jackson as he is clearly still a great driver. Reid was a complete an utter waste of money for Team RAC, instead of Reid helping Turkingon - it was Jelley who upped his game.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 am

Well it was a great day Sunday, got in nice and early to avoid a repeat of the WSR traffic issues, got seated in the Woodcote grandstand, opposite the 'big' screen (it was too far away to be big!!).
There was some frantic racing going on, Clio's were great, lots of action and bumper car driving!
Jackson had a great day, 2 wins and 3rd, a Chevy 1-2-3 in race 1 showed how RML have really sorted the Lacetti for British tracks, James Nash showed he was quick as well, now he just needs some finesse, although Plato isnt really the one to learn that off. I agree RAC wasted the money on Reid he just pushed Onsloe-Cole off for a heavy hit and got himself stuck in the gravel and struggled the other 2 races.Have to say i was surprised that Stephen Jelley did so well, getting himself in between Turks and Gio in race 3.
Johnny Herbert was popular with the crowd, lots of cheers for him, probably about equal between him and Plato, but he did as well as could be expected on his BTCC debut, all the advance press about a win was total rubbish, bit like the Villeneuve/BAR debut in F1, just see how soon Johnny adapts to BTCC and whether he wants to stay.
Matt Neal had a shocker, pushed in the gravel, then 2 more trips, think the lack of Vectra pace has got to both him and Jordan.
Finally a word for Martin Johnson and John George who had an epic battle all through race 3 til a few laps from the end, when Johnson got past, sadly never made it to the tv, but it was great, just as competitive as those at the front, no pushing and shoving, just clean racing.
Will try to post pix if i get time, but going off to DTM this weekend had curtailed the time i have this week.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 am

I think it is good that Herbert has done Silverstone and will do Rockingham and Brands GP, because then he can ask himself if he likes touring car racing. He looked like a touring car novice but that was to be expected.

I wonder why Team RAC did not hunt for a better third driver, Reid is a great driver and battles hard like Plato. But just like in his MG days, he got indulged in bashing other drivers and generally wasting time. If Reid bashed off a Vauxhall then it would have been worthwhile, but he didn't.

The Vauxhall Vectra is not the car it once was, and the BTCC is all the better for it.

Back to top Go down
boyhitscarpimp
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:20 am

Sav 1 wrote:
The Vauxhall Vectra is not the car it once was, and the BTCC is all the better for it.

Might not help 888 shift them at season's end, there's an ad in Autosport for them, so whilst they'd still make a good car for the wealthy privateer, they're not really for a team that wants to win the title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August   

Back to top Go down

BTCC Silverstone 29/30th August
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next