Share | 

Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

Location : The damp cold sticky moist regions of Southern Bucks!

PostSubject: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:18 pm

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77768

Well we knew about Leo racing at Silverstone, but it now turns out Father Nigel and Brother Greg will be racing in the Team LNT's Ginetta-Zytek LMP1 prototype.

Should bring in some extra people.

Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:43 am

Woohoo.
I've got a fiver that says he'll be at La Sarthe next summer

More at Crash.net
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 am

no way i'm taking that bet, after finally going there last year i think he knows that all of those years doing f1 he was missing the gratest race on earth.
Back to top Go down
BiggieT17
Driver Stalker
Driver Stalker

Location : The damp cold sticky moist regions of Southern Bucks!

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 am

reading the last paragraph of that he wants to race with Leo and Greg... So i think Le Mans could be possible as a threesome next year.

Team Modena give em the keys

Back to top Go down
DTM Deano
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:08 am

Well he said he wanted to try and do something this year, but it wasn't possible, so hopefully they can get something sorted for next season. I'm sure they would go well in the right car too. Will no doubt help the crowd at Silverstone too.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/deano190
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 am

Intetesting decision, if Nigel’s fitness is up to the g-forces of a prototype then why not. It’s a shame that Greg and Leo exist in LMS, they have never achieved anything in racing yet still progress because of their surname. Rolling Eyes

Quote :
after finally going there last year i think he knows that all of those years doing f1 he was missing the gratest race on earth.

Nah not really, he would have raced in a sportscar series/Le Mans first if it was so good, but Mansell raced in F1 and that was his goal in life – this LMS venture is more like a mid-life crisis. The majority of the public remember F1 world champions not Le Mans winners.

IfNigel does race at Le Mans he won’t win anything – with his crappy sons. Not a chance against Audi and Peugeot either – they are on a different planet compared to Ginetta.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:53 pm

apart from peugeot and audi that ginetta zytek is the fastest car around, and with 3 proffesionals in it would be walking all over aston martin and pescarolo and maybe even audi (on pace)
Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Back to top Go down
chris borg
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Pescarolo quickest in second practice   Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:57 am

Back to top Go down
Laker
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:47 am

Only three seconds off the pace then. That means Mansell's car will be lapped in roughly 50 laps (150 miles/approx 200km). So he'll end up 5 laps down. Wicked! cheers

I can only think he is doing it for his sons and the publicity. I'm disappointed - I think he should only take competitive drives and that he shouldn't risk himself on bravado missions.

Having said all that, Mansell and Senna were my heroes as kids and it's always a pleasure to see him driving again. I honestly think alot of motor racing fans today really underestimate just how much natural ability Mansell had.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:01 am

I think its good for Mansell to race in the LMS and i think he would love ALMS. i hope he races at le mans
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 am

Laker wrote:
Only three seconds off the pace then. That means Mansell's car will be lapped in roughly 50 laps (150 miles/approx 200km). So he'll end up 5 laps down. Wicked! cheers

Laughing Laughing Laughing Very true, that shows what a joke the time differences between the cars are. Hardly a race worth watching - thanks for calculating that.

He won't win anything in that Ginetta anyway.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 am

Its going to be an interesting race the Pescarolo is strong the astons are on the back foot.....
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Sav 1 wrote:
Laker wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Very true, that shows what a joke the time differences between the cars are. Hardly a race worth watching - thanks for calculating that.

in f1 that maybe true, if you 3 seconds a lap slower you'll get lapped 5 times. In gt racing anything could happen, it's not predictable ever. There is ever chance that mansell, mansell and tomlinson could win out right.
Back to top Go down
chris borg
Cheif Designer
Cheif Designer

PostSubject: Lapierre gives ORECA Silverstone pole   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:04 am

Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:37 am

cerca_trova wrote:
Sav 1 wrote:
Laker wrote:

in f1 that maybe true, if you 3 seconds a lap slower you'll get lapped 5 times. In gt racing anything could happen, it's not predictable ever. There is ever chance that mansell, mansell and tomlinson could win out right.

1. Not sure what F1 you watch, but cars are not 3 seconds slower than each other - the whole field is covered by 1.5 seconds - the fastest car laps back markers once. Compare that to LMS where in the same class cars get lapped at least four times, that to me isn't much of a motor race - more of a glorified track day.

2. LMS is not 'GT racing' either, prototype cars are not GT cars - they are purpose built cars with carbonfibre chassis's.

Quote :
In gt racing anything could happen, it's not predictable ever

The first part of the statement can be used for any sport, its hardly a selling point. And its not predictable ever? Come on, even the blinkered of blinkered of people cannot believe that. Every sport can be predictable to certain extents, and look at the LMS winners. One team like Peugeot or Aston will win nearly all the races, and that isn't predictable, even slightly? Wink Very Happy Three hours in, in most cirumstances everybody is in fixed position and the only way positions get changed is through mechanical issues or P1 cars crashing into GT2 cars. For me this is not very interesting.

Mansell has little chance of winning, for some reason Aston decided to bring four cars and the Oreca looks pretty darn quick too.

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 am

Quote :
Three hours in, in most cirumstances everybody is in fixed position and the only way positions get changed is through mechanical issues or P1 cars crashing into GT2 cars. For me this is not very interesting.

That is not even true.

Catalunya Lola-Aston martin battle back to win that race after spin and time the pits but it didn't look like Aston martin were going to win.

Spa Peugeot entered so they were going to win

Algarve Pescarolo Sport won but they had to make an extra stop was Aston martin going to catch them......We didn't know.

Nürburgring Aston Martin won but not will out problems...

Silverstone...Team Oreca on Pole look strong after improving 1 and bit seconds on there fastest time. Pescarolo are at the back will be fighting back and Aston will be fighting for the win aswell and there title lead

scratch
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:21 am

And thats exciting in what context? None of what you described seems particularly exciting. The critical word I used was 'most', and most of the time the racing is poor. And the overriding reason for this, is because cars are so spread out. To create interesting and close racing , you need cars to be near to each other. But the speed differences even in single classes ranges from about 2 seconds to 8 seconds, so over a 6 hour race everybody mostly becomes spread out. And thats not twisted or something made up, its the truth.

In order for close racing you need less time differences. And thats why LMS is mostly watched by nobody with empty grandstands. Another issue is the duration of the race, 6 hours limits its appeal to small minorities especially with the cars being so spread out. In general, it lacks the excitment and buzz of other series.

What do you get at a track day? Cars with massive speed differences overtaking each other, they don't consider that a race. Wink

Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:30 am

I don't understand anymore Laughing scratch confused
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:52 am

you can lose 8 second in 1 lap just in traffic
Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Sav 1 wrote:

What do you get at a track day?

A massive scrap in GT2. All the time every time.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:41 pm

willyj wrote:
Sav 1 wrote:

What do you get at a track day?

A massive scrap in GT2. All the time every time.

I think thats ALMS your talking about. Wink And 'massive'? You ought to watch Grand-Am, GP2 or BTCC to see 'massive' scraps.

I will be watching today, well mostly anyway. Anybody who is going have a good day out. Razz

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:03 pm

grand am cut the rev limit, increased the ride height and took away a gear (ie 6 spped down to 5 speed) to stop penske winning.

gp2 is a single make series, all the cars are the same except for setup and have a spec tyre as well.

btcc is fairly open except the tyres and does produce close racing at the front. The time gap between first and last at silverstone was 2 second, on a 1 minute lap around the grand prix circuit would be more like double that. Croft is nearly 3 seconds a lap.

As for Formula 1, and yes lets bring that in here, spec tyres which equalize preformance, rev limites which equalize preformance, all cars must have 2.4 litre v8's which guess what equalize preformance.

Do I need to go on?

The LMS series and thus le mans is the only truely open motorsport, a brawn may look different to a renault but only just. Lets do the same for the le mans series

Aston Martin Lola Closed top coupe, Pescarolo open top
Aston Martin Lola 6 litre V12, Pescarolo 5.5 litre v8 judd

etc
etc
etc

yur sech series just isn't as interesting or as varied
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:07 pm

this is awesome three and four wide almost constantly.
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:34 am

Great start to the race. Pescarolo Sport had tough thing to over come The Aston martin only had to finish in good place to win the title.

I haven't been following it on Radio le mans but i will get the podcast so i could listen to in full.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km   

Back to top Go down

Mansell to race at Silverstone 1000km
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next