Share | 

Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:10 pm

ACO announces LMP1 and LMP2 regulation changes
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:21 pm

this is good news, and should make le mans closed still.

My kmoney is firmly on a ginetta zytek for the overall.
Back to top Go down
DTM Deano
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:08 pm

I guess we're gonna have to wait and see what kind of difference this makes to the racing. You never know this might be enough for Aston to snare the win at Le Mans.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/deano190
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:18 pm

hmmm. Be interesting to see what it does.

if it has big differance, the pescarolo car would strong contender, The first race in spain it would of won.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Midge25
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:04 am

This is great news,all last season everyone knew it was unbalanced but the ACO didnt do a thing,i'd be interested to know why they have suddenly changed regs after only one LMS race,Aston Martin now have a real chance at Le Mans celebration Clapping whooo
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 am

It won’t make any difference, the ACO have made so many cuts to diesels to try and make it fairer, has it worked at all? Nope, this will just make Audi and Peugeot achieve a different level of performance again – with their big bucks.

In fact, people moan all the time about F1 and how the same people win. What about Le Mans? The same manufacturer (basically, Bentley was just a different brand) has been winning for the last eight years. In F1, you now have privateers that can win races – Le Mans doesn’t have that.

Sportscar racing needs to dramatically change, a big regulation change or something. The same old team win Le Mans. The privateers in LMP1 haven’t got a hope in hell of winning race. GT2 in Le Mans this year will be very interesting though.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 am

actually big bucks is relative

there are two things your not considering, one there are four races going on, not one and they are all ultra competitve and anyone could win p2 or gt2 and that include you sav, you could win gt2

the second thing is, some of le mans is racing the track and just trying to finish.

as for what this will do, well your probably right, but the peugeot isn't new. and the ginetta zytek was almsot as fast as it last year, the audi is and it's fast, truth is it's going to be another great race, even if the r15 and audi wins agai[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[-=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]#######################

the cats helped me with some of this post
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 am

Yes, but Audi winning every year is Sleep The LMP1 privateers don't have a genuine chance at winning the race overall, for winners you realistically have to look to Audi and Audi and that is it. I think that is a shame.

As I said, GT2 holds more interest for me. Nobody really knows who is going to win that class, because not one team has won for eight consecutive years.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am

audi winning is a bit repetative if you take if on results alone, just look at lasts year race. there were beatable last year.

as for p1, it's not meant to be a privateer class. it for manufactuers and before bernie stole most of them for f1 it was. p2 is the class for privaeers

p1
2006 audi r10
2007 audi r10
2008 audi r10

p2
2006 rml lola
2007 rml lola aer
2008 binnie lola zytek

gt1
2006 corvette c6r
2007 aston martin dbr9
2008 aston martin dbr9

gt2
2006 lnt panoz
2007 imsa? porsche
2008 risi ferrari
Back to top Go down
DTM Deano
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Yep couldn't agree more Cerca, the organisers have actively stated that P2 is the class for the privateers and that will be no different this year I'm sure. As for Audi dominating P1, you have to give the team some credit, as the last two years Peugeot have been the quickest car over a single lap at Le Mans, yet Audi have managed to play the strategy game successful and continue their remarkable streak in the race.

There have always been dominant cars at Le Mans, just look at the Porsche 956/962 back in the 80's, which won 7 years in a row between 1982 and 1987, the Ford GT40 won four years in a row in the 60's and the Porsche 936 won the race outright 4 times in a 6 year period.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/deano190
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:01 am

Why is LMP1 only aimed at manufacturers? Sorry, that is ridiculous. This means that privateers have no real chace of winning Le Mans overall. As for Audi, their main competition before Peugeot were Pescarelo – and Audi were way ahead of them because the LMP1 rules suited them. For six years, it’s not like Audi had Peugeot style competition.

LMP2 is only for privateers? Hmm, that’s like saying to privateers: “you’re dumb and haven’t got much money, so we advise you compete in this class”.

As I said, GT2 will be the class to watch. GT1 is dieing, and GT2 is going to be filled with plenty of interesting and loud sportscars in years to come. A prototype isn’t a sportscar anyway, its like a single seater – purpose built and purpose made.

I have never experienced the fun and games at Le Mans, so I cannot speak about first hand experience. But imo diesels have spoilt Le Mans. They make car manufacturers move onto another level that is almost impossible to reach for anyone else. Its not diesel fuel is something amazing and new, diesel has been powering trucks and production cars for years. People knew diesel engines were getting advanced long before Audi came along with the R10.

ACO should actually follow the FIA’s lead (never thought I would say that). Budget caps and lets see the rules actually giving privateers a fair opportunity to compete for victories. LMS is no better either, in 2007 and 2008 only manufactures won – they were on a different planet because of their diesel engines. 2008 LMS was entertaining, but nobody else could realistically win.

Le Mans needs to be ‘the sprit’ of racing, as they say. Less favouring manufacturers and the ACO manipulating the rules, and giving race teams a fairer chance to win.

I don’t expect anybody to agree, considering Le Mans popularity – and rightly so – it’s a great race. But as far as winning is concerned, it’s a manufactures playground completely.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 am

firstly in 2005 the pescarolo's were five seconds a lap faster than the r8's and the yet audi won anyway.

if a manufater enters against privateers usuall the manufacter will win, budget cap or not.

2002 team joset (works audi team) beat cadilac (factory team), bentley (factory team) and Panoz
2003 team goh (privateer team with an audi r8)
2004 buntley (factory cars)
2005 champion racing (private team with an audi r8)

in 2005 where were not factory cars, audi's still own.

when lmp1 was dreamed you they had bmw, cadilac, audi, toyota, porsche and mercedes. against that lot a privateer never stood a chance, then bernie stole most of them.

If you p2, gt1 or gt2 you're a le mans winner. It's just about the overall.

Finally the only reason f1 needs a budget caps is because of the manufacters spending hundreds of millions, rather than a few million like le mans.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:40 am

They all still had significant manufacturer backing - they were Audi's cars anyway - not something a small team made themselves. Something needs to happen, it looks like a privateer cannot build a petrol car and have a chance of winning at Le Mans overall - what a shame.

For whatever reason, F1 has privateers winning and Le Mans does not. If you had told me that five years ago I would have laughed.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:46 am

privater has almost never won at le mans since the 50's

red bull and brawn, adrian newey and ross brawn, who's previous teams were ferrari and mclaren and one was a brawn and one was a newey, not much changes.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 am

Still privateers though, doesn't matter how - they are privateers. LMP1 needs to change then, because I think their is something very wrong that discourages privateers from winning a race overall.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 am

look at post 2 i believe this year a private team in a ginetta zytek could win out right this year.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:03 am

In you're dreams perhaps. Wink

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:32 am

it was a couple of tenth's off the peugeot at petit last year, and diesels have been pulled back the ginetta hasn't.

it also beat the astons to pole at barcelona, ok peter hardman was a numtie at the start but still

with 3 quick drivers in one it has a real shot.
Back to top Go down
willyj
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 am

cerca_trova wrote:
look at post 2 i believe this year a private team in a ginetta zytek could win out right this year.
I would love to see that Toung thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 pm

gz09s

http://www.planetlemans.com/2009/04/23/team-lnt-shakes-down-new-gz09s-at-snetterton/

with drivers for the test were guy smith, nigel moore (who won the g20 and then g50 championships and impressed the team so much they took him on as a "factory" driver) and lawrence tomilson (who owns ginetta and some of zytek)
Back to top Go down
Midge25
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Sat May 02, 2009 7:14 am

Peugeot Motorsports reckon the change in regs will make their cars 2 seconds slower per lap at Le Mans lol!
Back to top Go down
Cornish Pirate 7
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Sun May 03, 2009 6:51 am

LE MANS will still be won by a DIESEL !!!!!!! .............................................. AUDI
Back to top Go down
MotorracingP
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Sun May 03, 2009 7:55 am

Cornish Pirate 6 wrote:
LE MANS will still be won by a DIESEL !!!!!!! .............................................. AUDI

Clapping Clapping

Quote :
Peugeot Motorsports reckon the change in regs will make their cars 2 seconds slower per lap at Le Mans

So Peugeot fastest lap was 3minutes 19seconds...so two slow now.....3minutes 21seconds.......still fast thats just one lap of course
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/MotorracingP
Midge25
Test Driver
Test Driver

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 am

So the petrol cars still have no chance of winning then?
Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   Sun May 03, 2009 6:08 pm

I belive they do (well the ginetta zytek and pescarolo) but they would need an almost perfect race. Most people believe petrol cars can't win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes   

Back to top Go down

Adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next