how'd I manage to miss this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 am

i think there was only 2 cancelled races, one was re schuduled and cancelled again (but the second time it was wise to cancel it)

national vs national is a fine idea, works well for the olympics, it's the cars that are wrong. A fast touring car series with a bigger entry (2 cars per country maximum) run on the same format without pitstops) would have been much better.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:07 am

Nation v nation is quite dire, because only the driver is the actual nationality (i.e. Indian), but the rest of the team is European. Hardly an Indian team.

An updated Lola car (perhaps more power) would have been great, that car produced great racing. Also, no matter what anybody says, A1GP is ultimately a stepping stone to F1 and other bigger series, A1GP is basically Euro F3 or F2 with a fancy frock. A1GP is not really a major series, its like IRL - some good drivers but most are dire rookies. Its basically a feeder series that is too big for its boots.

Oh, and races were not just cancelled, they were moved around a lot too.

Back to top Go down
http://racing.forumotion.co.uk
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:12 am

i'm not sure it is a feeder series, like indycar isn't a feeder series, it's out there on there own.

sort of the top of a different smaller tree.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 am

I think it is, many drivers have used A1GP to progress further. Piquet, Buemi etc did. I consider it a glorified feeder series to F1, few drivers actually want to be in A1GP, they just use it to impress people, hoping to move to GP2, F1 or another top series.

Back to top Go down
seanmiller
Technical Director
Technical Director

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:41 pm

There were strange decisions, that's for sure. The "solution" to half the grid being missing in Holland wasn't a solution at all. It didn't level the playing field, because those who were there then effectively ended up with a "joker card" that the ones who weren't did not have. So Ireland, for instance, could have scored 0 in a weekend and it wouldn't affect them, Great Britain could not. And some teams took half the season to make it to the grid, so they - to some extent - might as well not have bothered to turn up at all in terms of the Championship.

The management was shambolic. Could you imagine anything similar happening in F1? Half a season of US GP 2005 size grids, whilst the rest of the teams get their cars ready? Methinks not...

And I agree with Sav... those Zytec engines sounded fantastic at Brands... never liked the nose of that car, though, thought it was very ugly.

Sean
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/seanofglastonbury
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:12 am

I think A1GP tried to be bigger want it really was, it was just trying to copy F1 all along, but claimed to be different. Wipe out of all the promotion bollocks, and you have a feeder series to F1 and other top class series. Few chose to be in A1GP, they had no choice.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:13 am

they didn't have a choice, thats why i belive a1 gp (as masters f1, what was it called?) should be like touring cars or was basic single seaters. It's about racing, theres no reason it coundn't stand on it's own. It dosen't need to feed f1.
Back to top Go down
Petronas Syntium
The Guvenor!
The Guvenor!

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:27 am

Well, it certainly looks that way to me. And it isn't just a feeder series to F1 either, a lot of drivers have used to it to progress into other series. Touring cars is a good idea, it would be much cheaper and you would see spectacular racing. It didn't need to feed F1, but it did - and quite blatantly.

Back to top Go down
Cerca Trova
Team Principal
Team Principal

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:11 am

yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how'd I manage to miss this?   

Back to top Go down

how'd I manage to miss this?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2